You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jessica

Superstar

• "Jessica" is 48 years old today
  • "Jessica" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Sunday, November 8th 2009, 10:39pm

Help - Baby Hates the Bottle

Hi all -

I am breastfeeding but have been trying to introduce a bottle ("just-in'case") for about a month now. I express in the morning, keep 2oz out and freeze the rest.

We've been trying to give the 2oz by bottle in the evening, when Baby feeds hourly (!) but he just gets incredibly distressed. Yesterday we spent half an hour trying to get him to take the 2oz. He did in the end but cried and sobbed and went red in the face the whole time too.

At first we thought he was just getting used to the bottle but it's not getting better after a month of trying. Do you think we should just persevere? Or try changing to a different bottle (we're using Avent because they came with the breast pump). If we need to change bottle, is there a particular type which might be best?

Any tips gratefully received!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Michelle

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:26am

Hi Jessica
This problem seems to be very common. I had the opposite problem (trying to get dd back on the breast after bottlefeeding) but i did find some bottles that made combined feeding a little easier. I used the tommee tippee closer to nature bottles which were fine but when my dd was really young, she found the flow a bit fast. So then i found these Breastflow bottles and the flow was much better for her. I went back to the tommee tipee ones once she needed a faster flow bottle.

Hope that helps. I'm sure that someone will be along who has been through the same thing and they will have better advice.

Link not endorsed by FZ

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Monday, November 9th 2009, 7:39pm

Thanks very much Michelle.

I have managed to borrow a few other makes of bottles from some friends so will be trying those over the next few days. The Boots own "Natural Touch" bottles haven't been a success today so we'll have to see how tomorrow goes (which will be Tommy Tippee or Dr Brown's).

If those aren't any better I'll invest in a breastflow bottle and see if that does the trick.

Trouble is I can't see what the problem is; I really don't think it's the flow being too fast because one of our more successful attempts with the Avent bottle was when we moved up from the 1 hole to 2 hole teat. We thought he must just have been frustrated with the slow flow but the success didn't last long; he was getting distressed again a couple of evenings later and moving him up to the 3 hole teat didn't achieve anything either.

Could it be that he just doesn't like the feel of the silicone teat? He doesn't use a dummy at all so the bottle teats are the only things he's had in his mouth other than my boob - maybe we just left it too late to introduce him to a bottle?
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Reg: Oct 10th 2005

Monday, November 9th 2009, 7:48pm

Hi hun
I think sometimes the progression or adding in of a bottle kind of throws them. Friends have had huge successes with a brand, I thinkthe ones Michelle mentioned in Mothercare, but very expensive = about £12 per bottle

Try those hunni xx

Me 39, DH 39 ICSI Nov '06 BFP

FET Dec '10 - ET Dec 16th - Test Day 31/12/10

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, November 9th 2009, 7:57pm

Hi Jessica

I have one of the breastflow bottles that Michelle linked to, brand new and unopened. You'd be welcome to it if you'd like to try it? Baby bubble never took to the bottle and I gave up in the end :rolleyes:

PM me with your details if you'd like it.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, November 9th 2009, 8:14pm

Jessica, have you tried leaving the room when he is being bottle fed? A lot of babies won't take a bottle if mum is around because they know they can breastfeed.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, November 9th 2009, 8:52pm

Different babies like different bottles. When I eventually got C to take a bottle it was NUK that he liked best but I know of babies that hated NUK and loved Avent or some other brand.
I found that C would not take a bottle from me and the first successful bottle feed we ever had was when I ran into a store and my friend sat outside with him and fed him. When I tried again he refused and then he took a bottle from my mother so there is truth in what Mrs J says.
Then again I know of a baby that refused to drink anything at all for a 12 hour spell while her mother was at work and just latched on leech-like for 2 hours straight when her mom got home - and this went on day after day, week after week until she was weaned...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:32pm

Hi Jessica, I've just been alerted to this thread - sorry I didn't see it earlier. How long have you been trying to give your baby a bottle? The best age to start trying is around 4-5 weeks ( a bit late for that advice )
The other thing I notice is that you're offering a bottle in the evening when you say he feeds a lot. Frequent feeding in the evening is his way of making sure of a good supply, so he won't appreciate a bottle then. Could you maybe try offering it at a different time during the day, perhaps after a feed when he's not going to be impatient. I'm talking with my midwife's hat on by the way - Neither of my children would take a bottle, but it was never necessary anyway. However if you're planning to go back to work soon, it's worth persevering a bit longer. At a push, if your l.o. had to have ebm at any time, he could be cup fed.
Hope this helps. :smile: Forgot to say - the others are right about someone else doing the bottle feeding - he knows you've got something much nicer!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fi'smum" (Nov 9th 2009, 9:34pm)

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:36pm

Forgot to say also - could this thread be moved to the breastfeeding section ?

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Monday, November 9th 2009, 9:57pm

Thank you so much for all your replies!

We've been trying for about a month now. We've had some success, by which I mean he's taken it without any kind of fussing - but only maybe 2 or 3 times. Both my DH and I have tried and succeeded with no fuss, but more often than not by has got himself terribly upset.

I'm a bit more determined than my DH - he hates it when Baby gets upset and will give up really quickly but I have been persevering and Baby has taken the bottle quite a few times, but only after a real struggle - tears, sobs, the works. We're only trying to give him 2oz a day, just to get him used to a bottle rather than to substitute a feed, so as soon as he's taken the 2oz (or of course even if he doesn't) he goes straight on the boob for the rest of the feed.

Chris, I'll try giving it to him at a different time, good idea.

Bubble, thanks so much for the offer, that would be fantastic. I will pm you my details.
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Michelle

Tuesday, November 10th 2009, 9:19am

With the breastflow bottles - if your ds takes to it and you need more, try TK Maxx! I bought mine in there for £2 each :happy:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 12th 2009, 10:10pm

Help - baby hates the bottle

How are you getting on Jessica? Any progress?

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, November 14th 2009, 4:00pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Fi'smum
Forgot to say also - could this thread be moved to the breastfeeding section ?

Of course! x

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, November 15th 2009, 7:39pm

Well I am a bit scared to post an update in case it jinxes everything, but we seem to have cracked it! woohoo

We have done 4 feeds using a breastflow bottle (thanks sooooo much Bubble!) and 3 have gone really well - less and less "messing around" chewing on the teat to begin with each time to today when he just got straight on with it and downed his 2oz in about 5 minutes, and no crying at all.

Having said that yesterday's feed was a nightmare as he got himself really upset almost immediately (DH was trying to give it to him for the first time and I think he got the angle wrong, or something like that) and it took me about half an hour to get him to take it, but I persevered and he did pretty much finish it off eventually.

I'm putting yesterday's experience down to my DH doing something wrong (poor DH!) and am really feeling positive that this might be the solution.

I certainly hope so!

Thanks again for all your help and support - where would I be without you wonderful people and this fantastic site! I mightn't post very often anymore but you have no idea how many times I've come on here and used the Search facility to look things up - and I always feel so much better after reading the advice on here!
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Tuesday, December 8th 2009, 8:52pm

Hi Jess just noticed your post, good to see you nailed it. I had a similar problem then found the Dr Browns anti colic natural flow teats, they are just like a nipple, in that the teat is really bendy and a little stretchy, worth a try if you have any other issues and want to give something else a go. That one worked for us. SO lovely to be able to take a feed off and use a bottle huh, esp with Xmas coming up! Hope you guys are doing well, sounds like you are managing fab! How time flies huh xx
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE