You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "poppit26" started this thread

Reg: Mar 28th 2009

Children: 2 boys

Sunday, December 27th 2009, 8:47pm

IS 5-6oz FEEDS TOO MUCH FOR A 3wk OLD??

bub s is now 3wks old and had been suffering with colic...been using infscol and it seems to have settled a great deal. hes always been a hungry baby and will feed constantly to the point hes sick then will start again. hes been having around 5-6oz (stopping for windin) AND AM WONDERING IF THE MILK ISNT FILLING ENOUGH AS IT SEEMS A LARGE AMOUNT FOR SUCH A SMALL TUMMY! (didnt mean to shout!) the health visitor is about for the next few days. any thoughts on this?
(he on EBM n cow & gate stage 1 milk)

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, December 27th 2009, 9:00pm

Hi Poppit

I know very little about bottle feeding but didn't want to leave this unanswered whilst the site is quieter over this holiday period. Does the formula tub not give you an indication of the average amount baby should be having a different ages? The stage 1 milk is designed for a baby of his age so I wouldn't worry about it not being filling enough. Perhaps he is wanting to suck for comfort rather than food always? Do you use a dummy?

x

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Sunday, December 27th 2009, 9:32pm

hey hun

I think from 4 weeks its normal to take between 4 and 6 oz, How long is he going between feeds?
Aptimal has a comfort milk(its aptimal Im using) which is meant to help with wind and colic, not sure if this would help at all.
I would ask your HV if your seeing her/him anytime also but when I mentioned TJ once took 9oz the HV didnt seem concerned and told me to just keep making full bottles til he settles on a more regular amount so I wouldnt worry hun

Sunday, December 27th 2009, 10:03pm

it does say upto 2months they have 3-4oz approx 6 times a day. he will have a dummy but would rather suck a bottle. id put him on boob but he dont open his mouth wide enough -which is one of the reasons for the poor positioning. my friend said i should go with what i feel. but i am going to get some next stage (med.flow) teats tomoz as this may hopefully help as it wont be as much hard work for him. therefore less air n more food. if he has too much he just throws up and is a waste. as i said the dummy will only pacify him for a while. i think i may try the teat change for a few days then contact HV and think about a milk change. heis feed times vary..could be 2hr, 3 or 4hrs between feeds and decides to be awake all night lol
i chose cow n gate as thats what i gave my other DSs (SMA gave then constipation!) ive tried boiled water too - he'll drink anything-im defo not buying HIS beer when hes older!!!
also he was 9lb10oz born, @ 10days old he was 10lb and @ 2wks he was 10lb10oz hes just a gannet!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "poppit26" (Dec 27th 2009, 10:03pm) with the following reason: eek!

treezuk

Superstar

• "treezuk" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 31st 2007

Children: 1 son : Mckenzi Henry born 23/10/08 !!!

Monday, December 28th 2009, 2:50pm

What they normally say is if the baby is draining a bottle to go up an oz so if you were to give him 3 everytime and his drinking it all then he needs to be on 4oz every bottle etc , i wouldnt worry about him being sick that is typically normal at the beginging and also with colic is it likly to make they get a touch more sicky as of the trapped wind... try not to worry just stick to what it says on the packet and just give the extra oz where you think nessisery i.e if he is still clearly hungry
Me (Teresa) 28 / DH 31
DS Mckenzi Born 23rd Oct 08
TTC Since 2004.. Two Miscarriage's... 21st July 05 & 28th July 10

Monday, December 28th 2009, 3:12pm

i always make 5oz anyway as he'll take the 4oz without fail.
just doesnt seem to fill him up

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Monday, December 28th 2009, 3:47pm

Hi Poppit, Hope you had a lovely Christmas, and Santa was good to you :xmas6:

A general guide to amount of formula to give Michael is 2and 1/2 ozs per pound that he weighs in 24 hours, so it depends how often he feeds what amount he needs at a time. It may not be the same at every feed, but as long as the total over 24 hours is about right it's ok. At the moment you say he weighs 10lbs 10ozs,so multiply that by 2and1/2 = about 27ozs in 24hours. You also said he has some ebm, and if that has a fair bit of hindmilk in it, he shouldn't need as much.Hope that helps smile2

If he's wanting to suck when you think he's had enough,and a dummy won't do, I'd try boiled water,and if he's happy with that, then maybe he's just thirsty rather than hungry. I'd also stick with whatever formula he's on now, it's not a good idea to chop and change. There isn't one formula that's better than the others - it's all marketing!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE