You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Thursday, January 14th 2010, 7:10pm

Help - getting confused by LOs changing BF habits already

Hiya,
My daughter is 8 days old now and her feeding habits keep changing already.
From 2 days old she started feeding for about 1 hour with 3 hours inbetween (some variation in between) and days 7 + 8 she has been feeding for between 25 - 40 mins, is this normal?
She still gets sleepy after feeds (well apart from last night when she just wouldnt settle and was on and off the breast for about 4 hours).
It just seemed to change quickly so not sure whats normal ?(

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, January 14th 2010, 7:56pm

Sounds perfick!

The thing to remember about breastfeeding is that as your baby grows and her needs change she will instinctively alter her suckling pattern. Your little routine at two days sounds glorious, almost text book! As she grows she will get better at suckling, your milk will become more abundant, her stamina increses and she will take what she needs a little quicker.

Now then, just as you get used to this and begin to relax, you may suddenly find that she's on the breast more often, for longer and seems to want to suck more. This can often be tied in with a period (sometimes called a growth spurt) where she needs more energy, so she sucks more frequently and may seem harder to settle as she's sucking you dry. This forces your body to produce more milk (which it does after a few days) and then things tend to settle down again.

Very few babies stick to a clockwork routine and it's much more likely that you'll 'just' have established a pattern of feeding when she goes and changes it again. The main thing is that if she's feeding well, pink, alert, producing wet nappies (and the occasional pooey one) and is alert then the chances are that everything's fine and dandy.

Normal for a breastfed baby is often very variable. Breastmilk is dynamic, changing depending on your baby's needs so it's in fact a love affair between her and your breasts. She knows when she needs more and she goes about getting it. As much as possible you can allow this to just happen. The only time to intervene is if you feel that she's sucking for comfort and if that's in turn making you sore. From your description it sounds as if you've absolutely got it all under control.

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, January 14th 2010, 9:51pm

Completely what Bells says up there! Your little one will have settled into about 500 different routines by the time she is 6 weeks old! You will just start getting used to one, when all of a sudden they change again. Little monkeys are designed to keep us on our toes! I generally say, that over the first 6-8 weeks, be led by your baby. There's no such thing as too much and too often while your body is getting used to the nutritional needs of your baby. After this period, your milk supply is more established and your boobs know what to do and when. You will still have phases when you seem to do nothing but feeding for a few days, but that gives your body a chance to adjust the type of milk, it's calorific value, and it's volume to meet your baby's ever changing needs.

It sounds liek you are doing great so far hun, keep it up!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

• "Wee Janey" started this thread

Reg: Jul 27th 2008

Children: IVF/ICSI miracle born 06 Jan 2010

Friday, January 15th 2010, 11:32am

thanks guys,

its good to know that such variation is normal, i think overall she is feeding well and certainly much improved from her first 2 days - she was only 5.5lbs and had low blood sugar so was too tired to feed much and was fed EBM via a syringe for a day (with 1 SMA feed via a cup).
I noticed today that she seems to be filling out a bit already so guess i must be doing something right :D

TTC 4 yrs
Me - 32 yrs, DH - 32 yrs
clomid then IVF

1st IVF Apr 09 :BFP: bab21