You are not logged in.

Unread posts

2mums

Star

• "2mums" started this thread

Reg: Jun 28th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 3:10pm

Anyone used Niplette while pg to prepare for breastfeeding?

Hi all, I'm only 10 weeks pg but have always wanted to breastfeed. I have 'shy'/flat nipples and I'm worried that this might cause problems, so I'm considering buying a Philips Avent Niplette device which is meant to solve this problem. Just wondered if anyone else has used one and what were the results? Apparently you can't use them in the third tri so if I get one it will be pretty soon. Would love to hear advice/experiences from all your breastfeeding mums out there.

ICSI Apr09 BFN
ICSI Jul09 BFP m/c (blighted ovum)
ICSI Nov09 :BFP:
:boy:

Michelle

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 5:06pm

I have one inverted nipple (and luckily i'm not shy about it on here anymore!!) and thought it would cause me problems but actually my dd was able to feed from it ok. She had a tongue-tie so there were some issues with latching on at the start but it had nothing to do with my inverted nipple and once she'd got the hang of feeding she was able to do the work of the niplette herself!

So i'd say maybe hold off spending your money on it and see how you go. You might find that your baby manages just fine.....they are such clever little things :smile:

ICSI May 08 - BFP
Our beautiful baby girl was born February 2009
Jan 2010 natural BFP M/C 9 weeks
May 2011 - BFP
Baby boy born Jan 2012

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 5:52pm

I would agree with Michelle, I had flat nipples as well but they aren't any more, since starting to breastfeed I could probably hang my coat on them!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 6:04pm

Indeed, there's nothing like the super suck of a new baby to give you pair of 'chapel hat pegs'! :D

2mums

Star

• "2mums" started this thread

Reg: Jun 28th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 8:45pm

Thanks girls!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 8:10am

2 mums, I had some really good stuff from La Leche league on flat and inverted nipples that I would have passed on to you but when I checked my in box, I'd deleted it by mistake :-( . I'm sure if you email them, they will send it to you. There are some exercises you can do to help your nipple pop out (but only in the final few weeks of pregnancy, don't tweak them too much now, it can cause contractions), they also had some good advice on latching a baby on an inverted/flat nipple. But of course, as the other girls have said, its perfectly possible to feed your baby without too much hassle, and afterwards you have a handy spot to hang your coat!