Unread posts

pamelag088

Superstar

• "pamelag088" started this thread

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 3:27pm

feeds before bed

TJ is taking 5 feeds a day Iv just ut him up to 7oz as he was draining every 6 and starting to not last his 3 hours.
Iv never gave him a dream feed as he has slept through without it since about 7 weeks old. I normally make his 5th feed the last before bed but toay it lands at 5.30 and he normally goes to bed between 7.30 and 8 which would mean he is due pretty much due right on bed time.
There is a few times this has happened and I have kept him up to take a 6th feed, Should I do this? Even though he goes down 2 hours away from his last feed it doesnt seem to affect him waking between 5 and 6 am(his usual)
Dont want to over feed him or starve him?

Reg: Jan 31st 2010

Children: One of each

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 8:14pm

Hi hunny, I didn't want to just read and run.

I'd let TJ guide you with this one. If he is looking for a feed at bed time, give him a feed. If he drifts off without any bother, leave him. But, I guess as it is now past his bed time you have already figured that one out. :hug:
Little Miss:xxx3:
Mummy to "one of each" - ED Hoping to help someone fulfil their dream

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 9:00pm

hi pamela :)

If TJ is not waking in the night for another feed then i wouldnt worry too much. Is he waking at dfferent times every day? I remember when Lydia was doing this we would just space her 5 feeds out so her last one fell right before bedtime. Her rough feeding times (from memory) were 7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm and last one at 7. If she woke at say 6am then i would feed her at 6am and then at perhaps 9:30am and so on until we were back on track. from 4 months old her waking times seemed a bit more consistent x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

Jodie

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 9:16pm

Evening! Wow, he's been sleeping through since 7 weeks old? I definitely need you to come and have a word with my 16 month old daughter!

Sounds a bit crazy but I'm struggling to remember what either of my girls did at TJ's age!! However, I'd say that if he's going without it and not waking up then I reckon he doesn't need it - i.e. you're not starving him! If he starts to wake up early, hungry, then have a re-think but for the moment, I'd just leave it out!

Hope that helps a little!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

pamelag088

Superstar

Sunday, February 21st 2010, 10:50pm

Thanks girls.
Jen he wakes at different times but main problem is his naps are all over the place so when he does nap I leave him to it and so sometimes he will go 4 hours between feeds which knocks the routine off. If I woke him he wouldnt go back down and he struggles getting to sleep and gets overtired and we have megga tantrums :snigger:
I didt give him a 6th feed today so will see what time he wakes up, Its normally between 5 and 6 then he has a feed and goes back down til 8 or 9 so its almost like a night feed.
Thanks for the advice girls, He is such a fast feeder and hates being burped(taking bottle away for a whole 2 mins :snigger: ) so hard knowig what to do for best

Monday, February 22nd 2010, 12:36pm

I know what you mean - the early months are tricky trying to work out when they nap and wake up - they seem to change day by day. That's fab that he is a quick feeder! I had a very slow feeder - it could take us 45 mins to do a 6 oz bottle with a number 3 teat! Fortunately she's alot quicker now! I think I was lucky (or unlucky!) that Lydia only ever napped for30 mins at a time (45 most) so if she missed her 10am feed it would only ever be 30 mins out and i'd feed her at 10:30 but i guess with a 2 hour nap it would have been difficult to get her back to her routine. Sounds like you got it sussed anyway with him sleeping so well at night! (p.s he's such a cutie) x x

pamelag088

Superstar

Monday, February 22nd 2010, 5:58pm

Thanks Jen

He woke at 5.30 so obviously didnt need his 6th feed. After his morning feed he went right back down(as usual) but didnt take aother feed til 10am :8o: I tried him at 8.30 and 9 but he just kept spitting it out so another knock on routine today :snigger:

Tuesday, February 23rd 2010, 8:55am

You sound just like me when lydia was Tj's age. Despite what Gina Ford says, I think it's quite hard to establish a routine in the beginning - I think in the end I settled for the baby whisperer's routine which was simply sleep, then feed, then activity and so on. It seemed to work well for L and then when she was a couple months older it all fitted into place. I think what will make the biggest difference is when tj is waking up at roughly the same time every morning. L's routine changes every couple of months. Just when we're getting used to it, she starts needing less sleep in the day, or more food etc. I think the best thing i've learnt which i would do again with my next one is to have a fixed bedtime and every so often I just observe lydia for a few days and write down when she is hungry, and tired and then plan a routine around her. (sorry if i've gone completely off your post's question lol) x

pamelag088

Superstar

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 5:52pm

No Jen any tips at all most welcome :snigger:
I now hve another dilemma. Since upping Tj's bottles to 7oz he has starting not asking for feed for 4 hours or more. Im scared to move him onto 4 bottles instead of 5 as this is reducing his milk intake from 30 with his 5 bottles of 6 to 28 with 4 feeds of 7. Im confused? If I try feeding him after 3 he will take it after playing for ages and spitting most of it out. His napping rouinte is atrocious, I sometimes have him in bed for 2 hours just trying to get him to nap and I feel guilty for leaving him in there so long but he is so tired.
Im scared to say his nights are excellent in case I jinx it but he goes to bed at 7 and normally not a peep til 5 or 6. Although he would probably go to bed earler if I were to put him down.
I know things change so much as they grow and im just in limbo just now, Everything all over the place with his sleep and feeds, Today he has had 4 feeds, 6am, 9am, 1pm and 5pm, He still has another bottle and done know whether to give him a dream feed at 9 when he would be due(on a 4 hr routine) which I have never done. Hmmmmm maybe I should bed him at 7 and see how he gets on with just the 4 feeds

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:48pm

maybe try him back on 6oz every 3 hours if you want to fit 5 feeds in? L often has hungry days and is on 7oz at the moment (and meals) and there have been times when i've upped her to 8oz but then she seems to want to go back down to 7oz. Personally i wouldnt do a dreamfeed if he is sleeping well without one - i'd just try bring back his 5th feed by reducing others. What I used to do also is give say 7oz for the first feed and last but the others at 6oz.

I had such a hard time with L and naps (probably because she slept so well at night like TJ). I think of thumb for a baby TJ's age is he can probably stay awake for 2 hours so say you put him for a morning nap depending on when he wakes add another 2 hours and then try him back down. I found with L that she was getting overtired when i was trying to put her down. She didnt seem to give me many cues and if I missed the few she gave me she wouldnt go down. I still have days (like today!) when I put her down and im thinking maybe she's just not tired and then i feel guilty too. I think L must have been tj's age when i started the 2 hr wake then nap thing and i just wrote down when her naps 'should' be and fitted her feeds around them. Obviously when it came to it there were slight variations for e.g she wanted to go straight back to bed (like tj) when she had her morning feed so i just made alterations around L. It'll sort - it's all trial and error. You've got night times sorted which is fantastic! :)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "jen84288" (Feb 24th 2010, 8:50pm)

pamelag088

Superstar

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 11:19pm

Thanks Jen

He went down at 6 :rolleyes: I coulnt keep him up any longer and so put him to bed and he fell asleep straight away without the 5th feed, Im going to leave him to see how he gets on with it. I only put him up to 7 cuz he starting wanting feeds less than his 3 hours and drained every bottle and sometimes cried for more.
Like L jen, TJ gets overtired and sometimes barely manages an hour awake. I put him down first signs of tiredess but he just lays awake in bed talking to himself until he is shattered and starts screaming the he is impossible to settle and if I do get him down its only for half hour when he really needs a good hour an a half. I feel so sorry for him as he hardly gets any play time, He is either too tired to be happy or in bed. Today I think I only got about 2 hours of happy up time. If he napped well he wouldnt have to go to bed so early as Id prefer him to stay up til maybe 8 so I can get a good 2 hours playing an bath time before bed but he is just so tired all the time.
he is stirring now, will try to get him back down minus the feed but if he seems to be hungry Il give him it.

Think you may be right about the 6's and 7's. Il maybe save the 7oz for first and last and try 3 hourly 6oz during the day see if that will work. Think he too young to be on 7. Thanks for you help jen

Friday, February 26th 2010, 8:59pm

hey hun, hope things have gone as planned for you today. As he gets a bit older he'll be less tired in the day. Lydia is far too distracted with toys and crawling everywhere to feel tired which is hard work but it means im not having to juggle feeds and naps so they fit in with each other. I think alot of babies have longer and fewer naps but for catnappers like lydia and tj it's hard because it feels like they always need a sleep and it's difficult trying to fit everything else in. Looking back i cant believe how hectic the early months were for me- Im finding it's getting easier and easier (i might not be saying that when she's walking though! lol) x x

pamelag088

Superstar

Friday, February 26th 2010, 9:47pm

:snigger:
His feeds still a bit all over the place but last 2 days he been having a longer nap i afternoon, His last feed today was 5 again. He mostly doesnt want bottle 3 hrly but today he was screaming for it after 2? Will keep it up and hope things sort themselves out. He still going down well at night so I really cant complain, Just awkward not having a predictable routine.
Thanks again for your help Jen