You are not logged in.

Unread posts

compley

Megastar

• "compley" started this thread

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:16pm

Returning to work, thinking of feeding possibilities!

I've still got a couple of months before returning to work, but I'm starting to think about feeding options, and being a worrier (and liking to plan!! I'm getting in a pickle!!)

Currently, I am doing mixed feeding, and L's routine is:
7amish: BF
8-8.30am: Solids
L has been less and less interested in a late BF morning feed, so am dropping that this week.
12pm: Solids
3pmish: formula feed
5-5.30pm: Solids
7pm: BF
10-11pm: formula feed

Basically, I'd like to keep up the morning and bedtime BF as long as possible. I will be working Weds and Fri's, levaing home at 6.30am, returning home at approx 9pm. Apart from the fact I really don't get on well with expressing, doing it at work, to keep up my supply on those 2 days, isn't really practical (I know they have to allow me if I want to, but it would be tricky in my job, and I'm being honest in saying it's not something I want to be stressing about, when I'm at work, and I would worry!). The thought of expressing, after a longday at work, isn't really that appealing either! Again being totally honest here!

So, what I'm wandering, and I really don't know if it is an option, is whether the 5 days I don't work I could BF L, morning and eve, and then the 2 days I'm at work, she would have formula, for those feeds. If, a few weeks before I return to work, I dropped the feeds, on a Weds and Fri, would my body get 'into' the routine, and produce the milk for the other days? Or would having those 2 days off affect my supply? And If I Bf the 5 other days, would I keep finding I felt a bit full/uncomfortable, at the end of the days I didn't feed? Is it a case of trial and error, and seeing if it works, or doesn't work?!

Thanks for any help, I just don't know what to do, and if I need to stop Bfing altogether, then I will need to start in the next few weeks, as don't want to be stopping bfing just before going back to work, I remember I got emotional when I stopped bfing H, and when I went back to work, so probably not a good mix, doing both together!!

xxx

<

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:34pm

I am in absolutely no way n expert but when I first switched TJ to just am and pm feeds(overnight) I was very full with the missed feeds and I HAD to express to keep from squirting everywhere, But after I stopped the regular feeds and only did them say every other night my milk went quickly even though I expressed BUT I hadnt established feeding and so could be totally different.
I hope you find you can miss the 2 days and still carry on, Just carry a whole lot of breast pads

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:35pm

It probably wouldn't affect your supply if you dropped a couple of days a week now your supply is established. I expect you might find that you get a bit engorged on the days you don't feed, so trying it out before you go back is a good idea. Could you just swap the 10pm feed for boob instead of formula on the days you are at work?

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:36pm

Hi
I'm waiting on tenterhooks for your responses - I'm ruminating and worrying about the same thing at the moment. Back to work on 13/5 :bawl: 3 days a week - want to bf first thing and evening feeds, option to combine bf/formula on days not working and formula when working.
Jen
xxx
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:40pm

Hey Laura

I don't have any real advice but I've just dropped the morning feed with baby bubble so am now only doing a 6.45/7pm one before her bedtime. Because she only takes one boob at a feed this means I am only feeding from each boob every 48 hours and it doesn't seem to have affected my supply. When I dropped the morning feed I was uncomfortable for a couple of days but that eased off pretty quickly without any leaking. I imagine, but am no expert, that for as long as you continue to feed, you will continue to have milk, even if your feeding on some days is different to others. I was also going to say the same as MrsJ and question whether you could replace the late formula feed with a breastfeed on the days you're working.

That's just my thoughts though and it might be a bit of trial and error.

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:43pm

Kiwimaya,
No reason you can't carry on. I've been back at work for about 8 weeks now and on the two days I work all day DD has just fed morning and evening and got by on water to drink plus her meals in the daytime. The days I am at home she feeds about 3-4 times (although I am trying to get her to drop daytime feeds). My boobs have just adapted, there's plenty of milk there when she wants it but I don't get engorged on the days when she is only feeding am and pm. Marvellously flexible things boobies!

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:46pm

Thanks ladies.

Mrs J, I did wonder about swapping the 10pm feed for a BF, and dh works Weds nights (we are like ships passing in the night!!), so it will be me feeding L that night, whichever way she gets the feed, so guess that is quite a sensible option!
I think my main worry is that I'd really like to try to Bf the other days, and am worrying the supply will go down, so it's good to hear you think it may be ok. Have just been searching for info, and have found a couple of sites that also say that bfing can be really flexible, supply is well establised, so it could well be ok.

Bubble, just hit the post button, and saw your reply!! Thanks! You've just given another boost, that it may work ok, and my body will make the milk, when its needed!!

<

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:47pm

Mrs J, sounds like things are working really well for you, and its good to hear you feed different amounts when at home, and it is working for you.

xxx

<

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Children: 2!

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:50pm

Wow - the body is such an amazing thing! How do the boobies know?! Thanks MrsJasper - its really reassuring to know that engorgement is not an issue on work days. Like you Laura I really hate expressing. We've now got 2 months to get the plan into action!
xx
3 M/C
dx tubal and endo
IVf Nov '08 - BFP!
DS1 08/09!
Failed FET Nov '10
IVF March '11 cancelled
IVF/ISCI July '11 - BFP
DS2 April 2012
FETOct 201

compley

Megastar

Wednesday, February 24th 2010, 8:57pm

Yes kiwimaya, I really don't get on well with expressing, as much as I've tried! I am starting to feel a bit better about it all now. I've been going over and over this in my head, and I'm starting to get into the 'what do I need to get sorted for work' mode, but couldn't get past this worry!

xxx

<

Reg: Nov 3rd 2008

Children: Mum to Cody Charles

Thursday, February 25th 2010, 6:57am

Awesome thread, thanks for asking Compley! I am on the same schedule, except no formula so all the milk feeds BF, but identical times for milk versus solids feeds. I'm also looking to drop the late morning feed soon as Cody's is not really interested now, infact hes also loosing interest in the 3pm one too but I guess that might change if I get rid of his 10:30am ish one. In a month I go back to work 2 days (so snap again! Cody will be 7 months then - but Tuesdays and Thursdays :-)) so was also wondering if its possible for my body to adapt. I will be home for the 7pm one so if I drop the late morning on its really just that 3pmish one he would miss 2 days a week. Worse case scenario I could express at work I guess and he has a bottle for his late arvo BF twice a week. But after reading everyones posts I'm less worried about skipping that just twice a week.

The only thing I am wondering about is whether it will affect Cody's sleeping at night on those 2 days where hes fed slightly less? At the moment he sleeps from 11-7am. If he doesnt eat well at his 5pm dinner he tends to wake at 3am for a top up, so I'm hoping those 2 days wont end up being broken nights again? Do people think thats likely?

I am also considering trying to drop the night 10 - 11 BF in another month or so to see if he can make it through the whole night now hes on three good solids meals a day. But I'm not sure that will be possible if hes having less during the day those days. Perhaps I should keep that late night feed on those 2 days though? Wonder if this will really play havoc with his routine!

Its all so complicated...unless its not :-)
IVF/ISCI Nov08 BFP Cody born 8/09
FET-Oct & Dec10 BFN
IVF/ICSIJun11 BFP

compley

Megastar

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 11:40am

Deidre, it's hard knowing what to do sometimes, isn't it?! And we can have an idea of what we'd like their routine to be once we are at work, but our LO's may have other ideas! I keep thinking whilst I have an idea of where we are going now, I'm not back at work for 2 months, and that's a long time in the life of a baby, and L may be wanting to something different by then!!

If you feel a bottle of EBM is an option late afternoon, you could go for that. Sometimes baby's start to drop their late night feed on their own, and still sleep through. Other times parents wean them off, and again they sleep until the morning.
I know there have been days when I've thought H (when younger) or L have not fed/ate well, and they'd have a bad night, but have slept fine. It may be that Cody eats a slightly bigger tea, the 2 days he doesn't have the afternoon bf?

It may take a bit of 'trying different things', and seeing what works for you all.

xxx

<

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "compley" (Feb 27th 2010, 11:42am)

tessie

Saturday, February 27th 2010, 9:13pm

I wouldn't panic about it too much yet as the chances are that by the time you go back to work baby will have dropped a couple more feeds and be eating more solids. I went back at 8 months and she managed on just food and water during the day, with a bf morning and evening. She wouldn't tolerate formula so it was bloody lucky she was a gannet with food.