Unread posts

JENSQUI

Megastar

• "JENSQUI" started this thread

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 1:42pm

milk, milk, everywhere!

I am sure this has probably been covered by another thread but I wasn't too sure what to search on. Please merge with a relevant thread if there is one.
Haven't been able to get to bf group for a few weeks now so thought I would ask you guys....

I've gone with the flow (pardon the pun) until now because Martha is still so young and I figured things would settle down with my body adjusting to meet her needs. But 10 weeks in and it seems to be getting worse! Rather than having too little milk my breasts seem to be going in the opposite direction and my laundry pile is constantly huge with leaked on clothes.

Martha feeds every 3 to 4 hours during the day. She sleeps in 2 stretches overnight - anything from 5 to 8 hours in the first stint followed by 2 to 4 hours in the second (so gets 9 to 10 hours overnight in total). Unfortunately I can't take advantage of her being such a great sleeper as, after 3 hours, my breasts are full and I am lying uncomfortably in a pile of milk. I know it is probably made worse because I sleep on my side rather than back but I have never been able to sleep on my back. I have tried the following:

- sleep bra with breast pads. Different types of pads, including 'home-made' cut up tena lady pads. still the milk escapes
- absorbent pad on my bed. sadly I'm a bit of a princess and the pea and couldn't sleep.
- expressing 30 mins after last night feed. still leaked 3 hours into our joint kip.
- getting on with it for a week in the hope that my body would adjust to the 5 hours minimum she sleeps. didn't work and I was getting through 3 sleep t-shirts a night!

With nothing working I find myself getting up to express after 3 hours, once the leaking starts. Last night was an 8 hour night, so I got up to express twice. I don't have to do much as I have a couple of wayward squirters. I just stand with my boobs dangled over a couple of sterilised bottles and, literally, there she blows! I then squirrel my milk away in the fridge or freezer, go back to bed and wish I was sleeping as well as my daughter.

I know that expressing is probably the worst thing I can do as it is continuing to send the message to my body that the milk is needed, but if I am awake anyway I figure I may as well....it is too sore to be full and sleep. the nights are bad enough but over the last week I seem to be 'over-producing' during the day as well. After a midday feed today, she only took the left side and my right was bulging, so I used the electric pump (first time in weeks, as I usually don't get chance to express during the day) on the right side and out came 6oz. Sometimes Al gives her a bottle of EBM in the evening or day if it is the weekend and she usually only takes 4.5 oz. Once she took 6oz. I am happy that she is getting enough milk as she gains an average of 6 to 7oz a week. Since midnight I have now easily expressed a total of 13oz in addition to her normal feeds.

Is my body producing too much milk? If so, why? Will it settle down?

thanks for reading x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

• "philippa_s" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jan 12th 2008

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 5:31pm

Hi Jen

As you suspected expressing is probably the worst thing you can do as the more you express/ feed, the more you produce, but I can understand why you would want to. I remember those days of having a pair of golf balls strapped to your chest!!

It takes about 48 hours for your body to recognize that your supply needs to be regulated so 'could' you just express the bare minimum off and see if they're any better after that time?

I don't really know about the leaking as it never happened to me apart from when I started feeding.

Hopefully some one will be along soon with some better advice for you x
2 gorgeous girls and 1 on the way

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 5:41pm

Off the top of my head, Jen, the only thing I can think of is pressure, basically crossing your arms across your breasts to press on them, I have heard that this can stop them squirting everywhere. I agree with Philippa that expressing is as you say, going to have the opposite effect, but I totally understand why you are doing it. I will have a look atround later but a site I often look at for advice is kellmom.com (not FZ endorsed), maybe you can have a look there.

Hope you get it sorted, there is nothing worse than lying awake and unable to sleep whilst your baby sleeps peacefully.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 5:43pm

Mmm... it 'will' settle down but yes, expressing isn't helping you to produce less milk, it's easing your discomfort but drawing out the process. I absolutely understand why you're expressing and I was very similar to you when I had DD1, even when I had DD2 and felt like I didn't have 'that much' milk I could regularly express 13 oz in one sitting... so it's not that you're producing abnormal amounts of milk, just that you're producing a lot.

Who can say why you're producing so much. Maybe you've been feeding very effectively, regularly, you have a good latch and positioning technique and are taking good care of yourself. I can't see that you can undo any of those things. The only thing that really springs to mind would be to stop expressing and endure several days of discomfort. Maybe you could just take off enough to ease the discomfort and leave it at that rather than continue to express (especially if you're experiencing let down while you're expressing)

I gave in and slept with a towel draped over my headboard. When feeding from one side I would grab it and hold it over the other and I spent many nights with a bunched up soggy towel underneath my boobs. My bottom sheet was a disgrace too....

It 'will' ease off eventually of course. In a few short months you'll be weaning onto solids and if you're still breastfeeding then it will gradually begin to wane of the next few months.

You could always make the most of it for now and donate to a local scbu?

JENSQUI

Megastar

• "JENSQUI" started this thread

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Sunday, March 21st 2010, 6:41pm

thanks - guess I will just have to endure it! You see, I did try the not expressing for a week (about 3 weeks ago) thinking it would sort itself out but there was no change after that time.I got less sleep by leaking than getting up and expressing which is why I went back to it. Most nights I don't fully express, but by just taking off the 'top' 1/2 oz or so from each breast I find that I have to repeat the expressing more often during the night.

I often have to express a little bit before feeding anyway, otherwise Martha can't latch on or the first part squirts out too quickly and she splutters/chokes, getting very distressed in the process. Had a funny experience this morning. We had a freebie photo session & picture at one of those posh places. She managed 30 mins then needed a feed...she was squealing so thought I'd try it without nipping to the loo to express a little first. Bit of a mistake....she pulled off after a few seconds leaving my right hand geyser to let rip on a nearby light screen :8o:

can't find any info on a milk bank in Edinburgh but will endeavour to make it to bf group this week and ask there.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 8:55am

I was lucky in that I didn't every feel engorged but I did regularly leak whilst feeding Jensen, the one I wasn't feeding from used to run down my front and soak his jim jams. He still feeds every 3 hours overnight so I don't get chance to get that engorged but the leaking stopped about 6 weeks ago so it does even out eventually.

Course you could always sell the excess, I believe the gowing rate is about £60 per pint!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, March 22nd 2010, 12:38pm

I'm a leaky boob lady, I found it better to wear tight-ish vest tops (H & M cheap ones), I still leak but there doesn't seem to be as much.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13