You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Diddle" started this thread

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Monday, January 18th 2010, 9:32pm

Eye tests

Hi all its been a long time since i posted here! Loving the new look although struggling to find my way around!

My DS has had his eyes tested at school today and was found to have reduced vision in each eye :( does anyone have any experience of failed tests. Especially where they where seen by optometrist and found to be ok?

My husband is registered partially sighted and im really panicking. My DS is fine, and they are twins?

Thanks in advance

Diddle
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Monday, January 18th 2010, 9:44pm

hi not sure how much i can help but i work in an opticians, the tests at school are very basic and the school have to tell you if they find anything wrong. A full eye examination may show that there is nothing to be worried about as childrens eyes usually are a bit long sighted anyway - its quite common for children to fail the school test. But if your worried get DS eyes tested again - this should still be covered on the NHS as the school has reccommended it :D

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, January 18th 2010, 9:52pm

Hi Clare,

My youngest was tested at school and shown to have very reduced vision and a squint in one eye (asked how bad her sight was, out of ten, she was a nine). She has relatively good vision in her other eye although not perfect. She was given glasses and has worn an eye patch for the past eleven months, being finally told to stop patching just before Christmas.

So we've had hospital appointments every four weeks, several pairs of glasses, patches, tests and more tests.

I was in bits when I found out and so was DD. After the first appointment with the orthoptist we came away feeling much less worried about it and now I'm incredibly thankful that it was picked up so early. We were very determined to follow the instructions to the letter and the result has been a massive improvement in her vision. She will always wear glasses but that's no biggie, she loves them now.

I'm sorry I have no experience of decreased vision in both eyes but I will say that my hospital have been utterly fantastic and if they catch these things before the child is seven years old there is a LOT they can do to improve vision significantly.

Edited to add: Now it's been picked up your DS will be in the system and your appointments with the optitian and orthoptist will come through automatically.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS Born 2002 / DD Born 2010

Tuesday, January 19th 2010, 1:21pm

Hi Clare

My DS has also been through all of what Bells has described above, we have now finished patching and he is just being monitored, he has gone from having 20% vision in one eye to virtually normal sight (with glasses).

His school eye test came back as normal and thankfully a teacher picked up his sitting very close to work etc, so although I fully understand that you are concerned because of DH it is a good thing that he has been picked up and will be checked in depth. As Bells said above there is so much that can be done before a child turns 7 so you have plenty of time to get things sorted.

Keep us posted hun

xxx

Me - PCOS
DH - Poor Motility & Morphology........
ICSI 2001 - DS / 2009 - DD - Our family is now complete :) :)

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 9:59pm

Thsnks all I will let you know how he gets on. I am just waiting for the appt to come through now. I just hope if it is anything then its something that can be treated as dh's is untreatable. Glasses do not help him at all :(
Will keep you posted xxxxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Wednesday, February 3rd 2010, 9:24pm

Hi All, Appointment has finally come through for 3rd march!! Fingers crossed eh? x
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Thursday, March 25th 2010, 8:28pm

Hi just remembered i never updated you! He has got reduced visin but glasses don't make a difference so we have to go and see a consultant in april. They are hoping he may grow out of it. But want to check his eyes just to be on the safe side. xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.