You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "angels&babies" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "angels&babies" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 26th 2008

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 6:59pm

Refusing feeds and pushing teat out of mouth - Help!

Annalise has been difficult with feeds since her 2nd imms 3 weeks ago.
At first she was taking afew ounces and then refusing.
Now she is refusing and pushing the teat out of her mouth before I can even start the feed.
She seems to arch her back and jerk about quite alot.
She also seems distracted alot and laughs at me!
She has been pushing her fists in her mouth alot and tries to bite everything - her cheeks are often flushed too.
I have given her the odd teething powder and this sometimes helps.
I also changed her teat size twice with no effect.
I spoke with the HV twice and they aren't that bothered but at the same time won't advise me of anything.
The first time I spoke with the HV they made a GP apt for Annalise and I was told she was fine.
Nothing else is really different and I'm not over concerned in general.
I want to know what else I can do? How long I should leave it? And what could be causing this?
Up until this all started, she was taking 6-7 ounces a feed 5 times daily and at times seeming hungry over and above this.
She now takes about a third less than normal on quite afew days.
Still plenty wet nappies and the usual bowel habits, nothing else different.
Still sleeping through the night too.
Any advice greatly received,x

2nd ICSI March 2009 :BFP:
4 Top Grade 1 Frosties in Waiting for next time!
bab21
My Diary

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 8:16pm

It doesn't sound like its anything to worry about. If she is otherwise well in herself and still gaining weight then it sounds like its just teething or possibly a little madam trying to exert a bit of independance! She is still taking around 20oz on the days she is fussing with her feeds so she isn't going to be dehydrated or missing any nutrients. I would try your best to relax about it, easier said than done I know, but lots of babies seem to dothis around your DD's age. I remember a friend of mine tearing her hair out with her liitle boy doing this and in the end it came as quickly as it went. The time to worry is if she starts showing signs of not getting enough to eat/drink.

• United Kingdom

Children: Annalise Joy Morrison born December 2009 from 2nd ICSI.........4 Snow Babies on ice,x

Wednesday, April 7th 2010, 8:55pm

Thanks, Mrs Jasper,
I really appreciate your reply.
It's so hard when even the HV won't even give their opinion on it,x

bab21
My Diary

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Friday, April 9th 2010, 7:56pm

Hey hun lucas is BF but is doing the same - far too nosey for his own good and also teething
I hope it passes soon too as feeding in public is a biut messy lol
blowkiss

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

• United Kingdom

Friday, April 9th 2010, 10:13pm

I can imagine, Sammysue! Annalise is very nosey too, like her Mummy! :snigger:
Thanks for popping by, hope you are well,xxxx

bab21
My Diary

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Friday, April 9th 2010, 11:43pm

Lisa sorry that your having a hard time. I don't really have any advice but just wanted to let you know that your not on your own. Since Adam's first set of injections he has changed his feeding and he fights with us and pulls away from the teat. He used to take five 6oz bottles aday but has now gone to three 7oz bottles and one 3-4oz bottle so is having less than was. Still appears bright and alert and passing plenty of urine. We will both have to hope that it passes soon. Take care

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

Reg: Aug 28th 2007

Children: One due in Jan, 10.

Saturday, April 10th 2010, 9:07pm

hiya just wanted to say my lil one is doing the same. i have changed his teat size and he is feeding a bit better now. must be a phase. i have noticed he feeds better when he is half asleep and not so distracted.

pamelag088

Superstar

Reg: Oct 20th 2008

Children: tj born 20/11/09

Saturday, April 10th 2010, 9:19pm

Me too Lisa

A week ago he was point blank refusing the bottle even after 5 hours then 10 mins after I tried he would be screaming in hunger and gobble the lot. I started making up 6oz bottles instead of usual 7 and this seems to be helping, He really wants 7oz in the morning but if I only give him 6 he is hungry again after his 3 hours. Its so difficult I know and feel so helpless but TJ seems fine, Still pooping once a day and having wet nappies.
He is no longer sleeping his 12 hours though, maybe going 8-9 which Im fine with as long as he is taking his milk, would be a lot more worried if he as sleeping 14 hours and only having 3 bottles a day.
Im sure its probably to do with teething, I mostly cant get the bottle in his mouth for fingers :snigger: And his last weigh in hehad actually moved up from 25th to 50th percentile so his weight hasnt been affected.
Next week she will probably change completely and be screaming for a feed every 2 hours :snigger:

• United Kingdom

Monday, April 12th 2010, 11:09am

Thanks Pammy, Christine and Rightans,
It is so weird that many of our wee ones are affected after their 2nd imms and also the start of teething.
It was reassuring to hear, Pammy that TJ weighed ok last time.
Rightans, we are on size 3 teats (the 3 hole medium ones and not the variflow! I nearly picked the wrong ones up in Tesco last week as they were in the wrong place!). This seems to make a bit of a difference and when A is hungry, she will drain a bottle and leave it full of bubbles after 5 mins! :8o:
Yesterday, she didn't get up until nearly 8am so we fed her 7 ounce bottles 4 times and she was hysterical hungry inbetween so we are back to 5 bottles today. She took 6 ounces early on, 5 just an hour and more ago and I will make up another 6 at lunch the the last 2 will be 7 ouncers. She is doing ok but as you well know, it can all change at the drop of a hat! :snigger:

bab21
My Diary

Reg: Jan 31st 2009

Thursday, April 22nd 2010, 12:49pm

HELP!!

Hi my LO is 10 weeks on Sat and is doing the same? he was having 6-7 oz every 3 hours and sometimes a couple of oz extra in between. He is now having 3-5 oz every 3 hours ish. Sometimes he will have 5-6 but seems to get frustrated and pushes bottle out and get upset! not had his injections yet as he had a bit of a cold which i thought was the reason he was fussy with his food but it seems to be continuing? he has put on weight still and seems ok but I cant help but worry he isnt feeding well, he was such a good feeder before. HV rec changing teets to medium flow esp as he is on C&G comfort and have gavascon at night which can make the formular thicker, but again nothing has changed? could he poss to teething starting? its too early? any comments would b e appreciated xx

BFP 19/02/09
8 week scan no heartbeat m/c wc 23.03.09

1 beautiful baby5 in heaven never to be forgotton xxx

Natural :BFP: 13/06 cannot believe it, one day at a time now... please, please stay little one x

Our Prince arrived 13/02 8lb and 6oz our family is now complete, thank you god for our miricle xx

pamelag088

Superstar

Thursday, April 22nd 2010, 4:58pm

Hey Kel

I know its such a worry. I have found TJ sorted it out himself and I also found if he had a lot one day he would eat less the next alost balancing it out.
Hs weight has been fne and it was a good few weeks he was doing it but seems to have settled back into a routine and back up to 7oz bottles after droppng him down to 6oz which seemed to help.

I reckon as long as his weight is unaffected and he seems happy and alert then try not to worry

• United Kingdom

Saturday, April 24th 2010, 11:49am

Kel,
I'm sure your wee man will be fine. Annalise carried that on for about 4 weeks and now there is no feeding her again! :snigger:
What you might find is happening is that as well as his cold which will definately hamper his feeds, he has probably been having periods of growth. I was advised by a friend that when I put Annalise up to 7 ounces, she was probably having a growth spurt. I put her bottles down to 6 ounces and she was mostly taking them but like your wee man, would have times where she took not a lot and I worried like mad about about it.
Another thing is that as they get older, they get more interested in their surroundings. Annalise although still feeding well now, looks around herself an awful lot when feeding.
If your wee one is still gaining weight, he will be fine. When he is hungry, he will soon tell you. I notice you feed 3 hourly. Have you tried waiting 3.5 hours or 4 between feeds? That sometimes helps too. Is he on 5 or 6 feeds per day?
He might need 5 per day. I feed Annalise 6am, around 9am, around 12pm, 4-5pm and 7-8pm and this seems to work.
I had tried her down at 4 feeds when she was refusing feeds but she told me herself in her own actions that she still needed 5 a day and just wasn't as hungry as normal.

bab21
My Diary

Reg: Jan 31st 2009

Sunday, April 25th 2010, 8:10pm

Hi

I am now trying 4 hourly or before if he cries for it! he usually feeds: 8am, 11-12, 3-4pm and then I try and get one down him 6-7 when he is ready for bed but this is the one he really fights with! he then wakes at 2-3am for a top up (about 4oz). I have tried to give him a dummy at 2-3am which he will have for about 1/2 hour and then still want a bottle. I am convinced if he would take a proper bottle before bed he MAY start to miss the 2-3am feed? this weekend I have tried 4 hourly and today he has done: 8am, 12, 4pm and then he has taken some at 6pm (about 4oz) before he gets really ratty! he still wakes for the 2-3am feed as he is obv not getting enough to sleep through ahhhh? or perhpas hes just not ready to sleep through? he is now taking 6oz per feed apart from the last one as mentioned. Last night he refused anything after his 4pm feed and went to bed after a crying fit at 7pm and then got up at 10.30pm!!! which he never usually does! really hope he goes to usualy 2-3am tonight though!!! xx

BFP 19/02/09
8 week scan no heartbeat m/c wc 23.03.09

1 beautiful baby5 in heaven never to be forgotton xxx

Natural :BFP: 13/06 cannot believe it, one day at a time now... please, please stay little one x

Our Prince arrived 13/02 8lb and 6oz our family is now complete, thank you god for our miricle xx

pamelag088

Superstar

Monday, April 26th 2010, 2:55pm

Hey Kel

TJ did the exact same thing, sometimes his last feed would be 3 hours before bed and he just refused anything after that. It does seem to settle. Maybe you couold try lowering his oz again as 6 is still quite a lot for a 10 week old. Think TJ was still on 4 at that time. See if giving him 5 will get him back into better routine and then give him the 6 or 7 before bed. Just a thought