You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Friday, May 21st 2010, 9:11pm

when do you stop giving bottles?

L has 2 bottles a day (morning and before bed). When am I suppose to stop these bottles? Also is it safe to just completely change over to cows milk when she is 1 and when do they stop drinking boiled water? x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Friday, May 21st 2010, 9:17pm

Hi Jen

I didn't use bottles but understand you're supposed to try and wean them off them from a year. She can still have the milk at that time but from a different type of cup. Yep, its completely safe to completely change over to cows milk at a year and it's fine to stop boiled water from 6 months.

Hope that helps.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, May 22nd 2010, 6:55am

DD1 had a bottle of cows milk morning and evening from a year until erm... around 2 1/12 I think from memory. Like Bubble I knew the advice was to get them off a bottle from a year but I tried a few times and found it difficult. The reason for stopping bottle is that there is sugar in milkand even though its a tiny amount, over time, sucking drinks with sugar in causes horrendous tooth damage. There is a very scary poster in my dentists waiting room with a picture of this damage so I asked him about it. He said the ideal is to get them off the bottle from a year old but as her only other drink was water in a sippy cup and she had very few sugary snacks, the risk was low and he wouldn't be concerned until she was around 3 1/2 years old. So I stopped stressing about that particular thing. She actually stopped very quickly. She had a bit of a virus once and didn't want her night time bottle and never wanted it again, so she did that one herself. In the day time, I just started giving her milk in a sippy cup, she refused it for a couple of days but once she realised that she wasn't getting milk any other way, she was fine. If you are being careful about her teeth in every other way (no juice, no sweets, brushing twice a day etc...) then she will be fine for a bit longer.

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 9:28am

I bit the bullet when my son was 1 and just changed over to a sippy cup - he never blinked an eye and the bottles were thrown out from then. Take your lead from your baby and just introduce the sippy cup and see what the reaction is - good luck xx

5 x ICSI b.f.n
1 x FET resulting in my gorgeous son born 2007

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Sunday, May 23rd 2010, 8:57pm

I think you're 'supposed' to start weaning them off bottles when they're about 1. BUT, DD1 was still having her bedtime milk in a bottle at about 2 1/2 and DD2 is still having her morning and evening milk in bottles, although she's getting fed up with it in the morning so I may well start using a cup very shortly!

If she's ready then do it, if she's not it won't do any great harm to let her have them for a bit longer!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

• "jen84288" started this thread

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Children: 2 daughters

Monday, May 24th 2010, 7:59am

Thanks everyone! I will give it a go in a few weeks. Bubble - i had no idea they dont need water boiling after 6 months - that'll save me a job :) x
DH poor motility-Excellent SA following change in diet
BFP:26.09.08

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE