Unread posts

Debs

Ace

• "Debs" started this thread

Reg: Mar 15th 2006

Children: 2 DD 11 & 3yrs old. DS born 16/11/12. 2 natural 1 iui

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 8:59pm

Holiday stress

Can anyone help me out here? We're going to Tenerife on 6th July and DD will be 1 on the 14th when we are there. I am getting stressed about what I should take.......DD has a morning & night bottle but I don't want to take a tub of milk as I am concerned about using the water over there, should I take ready made cartons? although they would probably weigh quite a bit so i'm not keen on that. DD is allowed 10kg of luggage and it has to be packed in her own case but I can't find a suitable case and a Trunki is far to small. What food will I give her when we're there? she can't eat what we eat (although she would like to) so do I take jars with me? but this would mean about 84 jars so that is a definite NO. God I am getting stressed as I want her to be okay and eating/drinking properly. My Mum has said to me "they do have babies in Tenerife you know Debbie" ha ha, I know she's right but I can't help it. Also our flight is at 18.55 and that is DD bedtime when she needs her bedtime bottle so if I give her it just before we board what do I do with the empty bottle? lol Yes I am a stress head but I can't stop worrying that she won't be okay. I would also love to find a little UV tent thing for her when she sleeps at the pool instead of her pram but they are soooooo expensive, has anyone used one of these before?

Thanks in advance for reading my moans & stresses ha ha xx

TTC 5 Years
Me 30 - DH 32
DD - 8
1st IUI 25/10/08 BFP
:happy:

Our beautiful little miracle finally arrived on Tues 14/07/09 :D Baby Cara x

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 9:26pm

Hi

you could try emailing the company who make the milk she is on asking if you can buy it there etc? I done this with Milupa who make the Aptamil milk my little boy is on, they replied:

You will need to make up feeds with bottled water. Choose a water that is still rather than sparkling, and one with a low mineral content. A good guideline is to look at the sodium levels in the water. The chemical symbol for sodium is NA. A level of sodium less than 200mg per litre will be well within limits for a young baby, and try to only boil it once, as repeated boiling concentrates the minerals present.

In some countries, you will see a small "baby" symbol on the bottles.

If you are travelling abroad for quite a length of time (more than 4 weeks), it may be worth contacting a company who may be able to ship the milk abroad for you. Here are some details of a company that could help:

Expat Essentials
Tel: 01489 571260

also try Googling supermarkets in Tenerife,this is what i have done with Turkey and have seen everything i need,Pampers nappies,baby food etc you should be able to get most of our brands over there and sometimes they are more expensive but saves carrying them and risking them spilling in case etc.

Will DD not eat things like bread/fruit/veg etc?

As for luggage what about one of they wee trolley dolly cases? It's amazing what you can actually fit in them,should be fine for your LO? They UV tents are on sale in Argos for £9.99 just now,you can also get them in Early Learning Centre. Have a look on Ebay aswell you might find one there.

Finally, stop stressing, you will be fine,have a fabby holiday! x

Reg: Oct 29th 2009

Children: 1DD aged 13 1DS aged 2

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 9:59pm

Debs, I used to live in tenerife so if i can be of any help. You can get pretty much everything you can in the uk. Buy bottled water to make up little ones bottles. Hyper Dino which is the main super market has a good range of baby foods. But you may need to traslate some of the writing ( hows your spanish). Have a lovely holiday
Me PCOS
DH Low count
TTC 7 Years
ICSI Sept :BFP: Miscarriage @ 8 weeks :bawl:
ICSI May/June Single ET :BFP:
FET June/July 13 ???

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 8:17am

Hi Debs,
This is an extract from a websit eI use to advise travellers to all kinds of places. Hope it helps
Infant feeding and bottled water
In most countries that belong to the European Union and in North America, tap water is considered to be safe. However, tap water in other countries may not be so safe. When travelling with babies the use of bottled water is considered to be a convenient and usually safer option for making infant formula feeds.

There are a few simple rules that parents and guardians should follow when preparing formula feeds during travel;

Always check the label for the sodium content in bottled water. A sodium content of less than 0.2g/l or 200mg/l is considered safe
Always check the seal on bottled water. If it is broken do not use it
Visually check bottled water. If it looks dirty it probably is!
Stick to bottled mineral water. It is a legal requirement in the United Kingdom, that all analytical data is displayed on the label i.e. amount of sodium
Avoid ‘spring’ or ‘natural’ water as they may contain high amounts of sodium. It is not a legal requirement in the United Kingdom for all analytical data to be displayed on the labels of ‘spring’ or ‘natural’ bottled water
Try to use bottled water that is produced by a recognised manufacturer
Always boil bottled water before using it, allow it to cool for no more than 30 minutes, in accordance with instructions on the formula pack

Why do you say she can't eat what you eat? Apart from salt, hot spices, honey and any ingredients any family members have allergies to, babies can eat anything. So she will be able to eat bread, fruit, pasta, meat... My girls have both been abroad and love trying different things. Pitta and hummous goes down well, as does seafood (avoid if there is a family history of allergy), all kinds of fruit and vegetables. And a kids holiday without ice cream just isn't worth the bother IMO! Why not take a few Ella's pouches (less weight in your luggage than jars) for emergencies and maybe a packet of dried cereal to make up with ordinary cows milk and then let her join in your meals?

I am also a bit confused about why your DD's luggage needs its own seperate case? We have always put the girls stuf fin with ours and never had any problems. Check with your airline. Oh and only take enough nappies for the first few days, you can get them really easily in places like Tenerife. The forums on trip advisor usually have one or two threads with suggestions for where to buy them.

Debs

Ace

• "Debs" started this thread

Reg: Mar 15th 2006

Children: 2 DD 11 & 3yrs old. DS born 16/11/12. 2 natural 1 iui

Sunday, June 27th 2010, 11:22pm

Aww thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it and feel much better now.

MrsJasper - Its not that she can't eat what we eat but I have never tried her on anything yet, well except fruit & little bits of chips etc. I just feel that she won't be full up if I don't give her a proper meal and she only has 4 teeth (2 at top & 2 bottom) so she can't chew properly yet. I think i'm just being a paraniod mummy eh? ha ha.

Thanks again everyone xx

TTC 5 Years
Me 30 - DH 32
DD - 8
1st IUI 25/10/08 BFP
:happy:

Our beautiful little miracle finally arrived on Tues 14/07/09 :D Baby Cara x

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, June 28th 2010, 9:06am

I think i'm just being a paraniod mummy eh? ha ha.

Maybe a little. :snigger:
Have a read of this thread and see what you think.
Baby Led Weaning - an Interesting Approach

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, June 28th 2010, 10:56pm

My DD is a month younger than yours, has only 2 bottom teeth and chomps her way through all sorts! Try her on things, you'll be amazed how quickly she gets used to it and enjoys it.

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Reg: Jan 17th 2009

Children: 1 STEPSON 15 YEARS OLD & ONE DD 3 as a result of 1st ICSI :)

Wednesday, June 30th 2010, 10:19am

Debs B is almost 9 months old now but has been on proper chunks of food as such since before 7 months old, which was mainly her doing as she refused purees. So we went down a BLW approach with some spoon feeding. All i do is watch the salt content but there is nothing she wont eat......yet! She had no teeth till almost 8 months old but she could still chomp her way through most things. Give it a go its amazing how well they can eat at such a young age.
SCOTTIE
1st ICSI 09 - DD born :girl_blum:
Jan 12 FET - :BFN::-(
Our journey has ended...forever grateful for our miracle [zx160]