You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

landi

Superstar

• "landi" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 5:17pm

Help and advice for bottle feeding please

Hi,
Harry is 9 weeks old but was born 5 weeks early.
He seems to be all over the place with his bottles. One day he'll have 4oz (120ml) every 3 - 4hrs, then all of a sudden he'll go to 1.5oz - 2.5oz (45ml - 75ml) every 2 hours.
When he was born he weighed 4lb 10oz and last week he was 9lb 6.5oz so I'm not worried at all about his weight or whether he's getting what he needs, coz it seems he is.
But I'm finding the 2 hourly feeds at night really take it's toll on me.
At what age did your babies go longer during feeds?
I've tried giving him water, dummy and distraction but he knows what he wants and it may only work for about 15 mins.
Any help and advice please
Thanks
Laura

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

Jessica

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 5:24pm

Hi Laura,

Gosh, Harry is an real cutie-pie! What a gorgeous boy!

I'm sorry I can't really help with the bottle feeding as I bf, but 9 weeks old (and 5 weeks early) means he's still very young and tiny babies do feed more frequently some days than others: I'm sure you know all about growth spurts!

It sounds like he is a good weight and is doing really well. I am sure that you will see the intervals between feeds begin to stretch out a bit fairly soon - lots of people talk about the magical 12 weeks and how things really improve after that. It didn't make any difference to me but I know of lots of ladies on FZ who've said things got better for them a roundabout that sort of age. Of course, in your situation I'm not sure if you would need to go by Harry's adjusted age but hopefully someone who knows more about it than me will be along soon with some advice.

In the meantime, just do try to go with the flow. Feeding every 2 hours through the night is a killer but it does get better, and I'm sure it will happen fairly soon for you now - just hang on in there!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, August 2nd 2010, 9:12pm

Hiya chick,

I'm thinking growth spurt if he's suddenly changing his feeding patterns. Even though O is now 22 weeks if she has a growth spurt sometimes she will feed every couple of hours. BUT it does even out honey. I promise.

He sounds like he's doing well with his weight which is good.

I think sometimes we worry too much about them feeding. I know I did. I now just go with the flow. If she wants a feed I'll feed her.

The 2 hourly feeds are a killer though. Does he finish the bottle or does he leave some? If he's finishing the whole bottle I'd make up an extra oz.

O has only just started to go through the night for a few weeks.

I hope you get some more sleep soon honey.

:hugs:

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE