Unread posts

Jessica

Superstar

• "Jessica" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Friday, July 16th 2010, 6:29pm

Diarrhoea After Giving up BF (DS, not me!)

Hi all,

First of all, I expect there's a thread covering this subject already but I've had a quick look and couldn't find it so if someone can point me in the right direction that would be great!

So, I'm planning to give up breastfeeding when Lucas turns one, which is in about 2 weeks' time. The thing is, I appear to have lots of options available to me and am not sure how best to play it.

I could switch him to formula in a bottle (he already has one ff a day, at bedtime). OR I could switch him to whole cow's milk in a sippy cup. OR I could do a combination of the two, or start with one and then move across to another.....

At the moment I feed about 3 times a day:

- Once between breakfast and 1st nap
- Once between lunch and 2nd nap
- After 2nd nap and before supper - this one often is a bit of a graze with Lucas feeding for 5 mins, playing for a bit, having a bit more etc etc.

I was thinking I might switch the first two feeds over but keep on bf for the third feed for a little while just so I hadn't completely shut my supply down in case he doesn't take to the formula/whole milk/bottle/cup thing terribly well (we had LOTS of issues introducing a bottle in the first place). Would that be an option, or is my supply likely to dry up anyway if I'm only feeding once a day?

Any tips or ideas or suggestions would be really helpful. I know that women switch from breast to bottle all the time and seem to do it perfectly easily but I am finding it a bit scary at the moment!
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Friday, July 16th 2010, 6:44pm

Hi Jessica,
First of all, well done for managing to breastfeed for a year!!
I would suggest that you cut out the lunchtime feed first, then after about a week take out the morning one. That leaves you just the bedtime feed to stop after a week or so. Reducing feeds gradually means you shouldn't have any discomfort. There's no need to be rigid about it - go with the flow (or not :D ) At this age I'd forget formula altogether and go with whole milk.
Good luck!

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 2:00pm

Thanks Chris, that's really helpful.

Yesterday I actually managed to avoid the third 'grazing' feed completely by giving him a baby biscuit instead. I was really proud of myself :O for thinking about it - doh! Somehow it feels wrong to be giving him snacks instead of breastmilk, but I know they need to eat little and often so I need to start introducing some snacks between meals rather than filling him up with bm - otherwise I'll never manage to give up!

I'll let you know how I get on.....
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 3:03am

Hi Jessica,
It does seem strange giving snacks, but good thinking! Does he drink water or juice as well ? Maybe he'd be happy with a cup for milk/water etc rather than a bottle

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 5:16pm

I'd go with full fat cows milk in a beaker/cup and forget formula and bottles completely. As Chris said, subsitute the lunchtime or first 'hungry and thirsty' morning feed as if he doesn't quite take to it you have all day to fill him up.

You can keep going with one feed a day too. You'll never be as full as you were but there's going to be enough for a feed and to comfort him :) As long as he's getting about a pint between cows milk, yoghurts, cheese and the breast you're good.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 8:14pm

Hi Jessica

How are you getting on?

We stopped BF completely at 13.5 months but by that stage we were only doing one a day, if not every other day, at that was the evening feed. Baby bubble always refused a bottle so we went straight to the sippy cup with cows milk from 12 months. When I was dropping feeds I did what you have done - that is firstly drop any that could be replaced by solid foods - so any daytime ones. I then dropped the morning one because we could come straight down and do breakfast, and then finally the evening one. By this stage she was not hugely bothered about whether she'd had a feed or not (we were offering a sippy cup also in the evenings) so it just kind of happened. This helped me because I then didn't have the emotions of a 'final feed' - she just turned me down over a few consective nights and we just stopped like that. I had sufficient milk on the one feed a day so you should be fine.

Hope it goes ok for you. I found the whole stopping quite emotional - especially as ultimately it was her terms and not mine (I felt rejected!) so be prepared for a few more odd emotions!

x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 11:01pm

Thanks Bells and Bubble.

We already go straight into breakfast when we come downstairs in the morning - no bm till an hour or so after he's had his breakfast. Trouble is, the morning and afternoon feeds are pretty close to nap time so I'm wondering if I'm going to have problems trying to introduce any changes to those. I guess I'm just going to have to try!

Keeping going with one feed a day isn't something I want to do for too long. I'm only giving up because I want to have a go at FET with our 6 frosties before I get too much older (I'm 40 next week ;( ). I feel bad about giving up - I'm not expecting the FET to work and it seems bad to be denying L bm for the sake of a theoretical, and unlikely, sibling. I tell myself one year on bm is pretty good and has hopefully given L a reasonably good start in life; and I know if I don't have a go at the FET I'll always regret it. But it's difficult, isn't it.

Chris, yes he has water out of an open cup at meals, plus I have a sippy cup/beaker thing on hand during the day. He never seems bothered at breakfast and lunch but then tends to drink quite a bit of water from mid-afternoon onwards. Not sure why!

Oh, and one stupid question - I assume I have to warm the cow's milk to room temp / body temp? Otherwise it'll be straight out of the fridge - probably not conducive to L taking to it!
Kitty
xx

FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Sunday, July 18th 2010, 11:48pm

Hi Jessica,
At a year, if he likes milk straight from the fridge it's fine. See how he goes with it.
Good luck with the FET - hope you're successful soon. How many frosties do you have?
xx

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 8:29pm

Well, ladies, I tried switching straight to cows' milk in a beaker. The first day he humoured me and took a couple of swigs but refused to have anything to do with it after that. I don't think it was a question of him disliking it so much as he didn't "get" that it could be a bf substitute, just another sort of a drink and he was hungry, not thirsty.

So after a few days we went to formula in bottles, thinking this would at least dry me up and then I could just concentrate on getting him across to cows' milk in his beaker, possibly via cows' milk in bottles.

I haven't breast fed him since Monday afternoon (3 days ago) and he's happily switched to the bottles of formula. However, Tuesday night, after 1 day on the new regime, he produced this horrid, watery, pale poo, which exploded out of every side of his nappy. Euch. SInce then we've been getting about 3 of these a day. This morning I thought things were improving as it was back to its normal colour and wasn't quite so watery but we've just had another pale watery one so I guess we're back to square one. He is perfectly happy in himself, though hasn't been eating much in the way of solids for the last couple of days.

Could this be a reaction to moving from 1 bottle of formula a day to 3/4? If so, should I change to another brand perhaps? Or else, we're now using the powdered stuff whereas before we were using the ready-made up stuff in cartons. Should we revert to the cartons?

Or, could it be an upset tummy? I had a bout of sickness in the early hours of Wednesday morning - very unusual for me. DS hasn't been sick and is his usual happy self as I said so he doesn't seem ill, but I've noticed babies seem to make less of a fuss when they're ill than we do!

Do you think it might help if I could breast feed him? Do you think now, after 3 days, I could? My boobs haven't been uncomfortably full but they do still feel full - have I still got some milk?

I've seen a thread in the health section about Toddler Diarrhoea and I'm really hoping it's not that as I'm having to do masses of washing, plus changing his clothes several times through the day - I don't think I can bear to think about doing that until he's 5 or 6!!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 9:18pm

Hi Jessica

Oh dear, not what you need. I fully sympathise. We've just had 4+ weeks of diarrhoea......!

It could be related to the formula, or it could be totally unrelated. I think, if it was me, for peace of mind I'd revert to the cartons for a week or so to see whether that makes any difference. Chances are however it's probably just a slight bug which will pass very quickly so I wouldn't do anything drastic. He will start eating and drinking again when he's sure its passed. You probably could breastfeed him now and it would give you tha reassurance that he was taking something on board but then again you were pretty certain you wanted to stop so it would be putting you back a few steps. I reckon give it a few more days and see what he's like then. Chances are he'll be back to normal. x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 9:21pm

It seems a bit of a coincidence that it's coincided with moving from bm to formula, it's possible the change has upset his tummy a bit and so you can expect it to go on for a few days while his digestion settles down. Formula is also more filling than breast milk so you might need to leave a bigger gap between feeding and solids so that he is hungry for his solids, just a guess but it might be why he's taking less solids since the change over.

Hope it clears up soon.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Thursday, August 5th 2010, 11:12pm

Hi Jessica,
Poor you!! I think you said you're giving 3/4 bottles of formula a day to replace b/f. How much is he taking at a time? It sounds as if he's getting more mlik than he actually needs at this age. Perhaps warm cow's milk in a bottle at bedtime, and the rest of his pint made up of foods made with milk and yoghurt etc. If he's having too much milk, he won't be hungry enough for solids. If he's not unwell, this could be the reason for the change in bowel activity. I would consider ditching the formula - really not required.
If you do want to b/f at bedtime instead of bottle,you still can. your supply can be easily stimulated again so soon after stopping.
Maybe giving him a little snack along with a drink of milk would be more acceptable to him.
Let us know how it goes.
xx

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Friday, August 6th 2010, 9:10am

Thanks for your advice and reassurance Ladies.

Bubble - ouch! 4+ weeks of diarrhoea sounds absolutely awful and makes our 2/3 days look like nothing. I hope Baby Bubble is better by now.

I'm not massively worried about our situation as DS is obviously well and happy in himself but thought I should post now in case the majority response was that I should go back to breast feeding. I'm not keen to bf again if I don't have to - now we've made the break it would be good to keep on this way - but if it's going to make DS better then I'd do it like a shot, of course. I just had a confused memory of bfing supposedly reducing incidents of gastro-enteritis - something to do with breast milk containing the friendly bacteria you need in your gut? - and as we've never had any tummy problems before and then within a day of giving up bfing this starts ... well, it makes you wonder, doesn't it.

He's definitely getting plenty of milk (formula) at the moment so I don't think I need to bf him in terms of topping him up. Chris, it's generally 3 bottles a day (the 4 only happened once and was a bit of a blip, I think) and he takes about 150ml (5oz?) each time so that's a bit less than a pint isn't it. We were wondering if maybe he was having too much formula and that was why he wasn't hungry for his solids but it seems too much of a coincidence that he loses his appetite for solids just as he starts producing these nasty poos. I think, Bubble, that you are right and it's a minor bug which hopefully he'll get over in the next couple of days.

I definitely want to move away from formula asap. My idea was to start switching feeds across to cows' milk as we neared the end of this tub of powder. I could do that now, really, but I think I shouldn't change too many things at once, otherwise I'll never know what caused the problem. So we'll stick with cartons (we used one last night) for a few days and see what happens.

PS: Chris, sorry, I never replied to your question about our frosties. We have 6 and are going to try liberating them later on this year. It seems a bit pointless continuing to pay for them to be stored whilst I just get more ancient and decrepit (at least as far as fertility goes!). But DS's health comes first, naturally, so if I have to bf him for a bit longer then so be it.

Jessica

Superstar

• United Kingdom

Friday, August 6th 2010, 12:41pm

Another exploded nappy this morning, though not very much in it (so quite how come what there was shot up the back I don't know!) but I guess that is because he didn't eat much yesterday (solids, I mean).

Working on the principal that maybe he's having too much milk which is why he's lost his appetite I tried giving him a snack before he was due a bottle. He was completely uninterested so I didn't bother with the bottle and he seems to be OK so far. He's currently asleep - he cried for a while and I'd just got the carton of formula out and opened and poured half into a bottle when he fell asleep - typical! :snigger: I just peeked in on him before shutting his door properly (it was banging a bit with the breeze) and he's jammed up in the corner of his cot with the ear of his bunny gripped between his teeth and all his other toys tossed behind him.

Hopefully when he wakes up he'll be hungry enough to eat some proper food. He had a good breakfast, and hasn't had any milk since last night at bedtime. :thumbsup:

Maybe we're getting somewhere? Now I just have to hope his poos sort themselves out. xfingers