You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:26pm

Look no hands

OK I've hit an interesting problem with J and his BLW. Basically we were BLW and also spoon feeding but then about 3 weeks ago we went totally BLW, it worked really well for about 3 days and then he had some movement in his teeth and didn't want to chew anything, since then he seems to have decided why should he use his hands to feed himself if he can get me to spoon it in. He will pick some things up and eat them (blueberries for instance but anything he really, really likes) but other things he will just pick up and throw, then when he's hungry and wants to eat something he will look VERY pointedly at the bowl, lean forward and open his mouth - if I don't shovel something in he has a tantrum, I tried to just leave him to see if he would eat but gave up after 15 minutes of tantrums and a LOT of food throwing. Last week I was able to get him to feed himself by holding the food in the palm of my hand and he would take it off me with his hands and munch it but today he actually bent forward and ate it off my hand like he was a horse - which was actually quite funny but not very helpful.

Is this normal? I thought they were supposed to go the other way and become more independant!

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 7:58pm

Yep, completely normal. Another one of those 'phases' that they talk about. It'll pass!

One thing I have found is that baby bubs tends to do this more when she is very hungry, so she wants me to spoon feed a good few mouthfuls to take the edge off the hunger and then she'll do the remainder herself. It also seems to conincide with teeth when she really just wants to eat the easy stuff like yoghurts. I just tend to go with the flow on it - she doesn't forget how to do it herself and I doubt J will. Next week you'll probably be wrestling the spoon from him! Or explaining that you can't eat soup with a fork which is the latest fad in our house......!!

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Jessica

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Thursday, September 16th 2010, 9:37pm

What Bubble said.

L has gone through phases like this too. I particularly remember one day when I put something or the other in front of him on the table and he leaned forward and troughed it straight off the table - very horse-like, like you said! J will be back using his hands soon, I promise! And it won't be that long before he starts wanting a spoon so he can 'help' (we've had this in our house for a few weeks now). Not actually as messy as it sounds, though I do roll my sleeves up!

Just let J guide you. Tantrums at the table are no fun. :sadface:
Kitty
xx

IVF Nov-08 - BFP. DS born July 2009
FET Oct-10 - BFN
IVF Sep-11 - BFN

Grace

Princess of the Universe

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, September 17th 2010, 1:18pm

Thanks guys, J found his perfect meal today (we got caught out at lunchtime in sainsburys so I had to buy him something) - plum chicken and sweetcorn stew it was in a squeezy tube and he discovered if he got his mouth round the end he could suck it out without using his hand at all! I thought he was going to suck it inside out at one point. Then he barfed some of it down his nose, which was NOT attractive.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11