You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Jasper" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

Friday, September 24th 2010, 8:06pm

Introducing Formula - tips on sterilising and being organised needed!!!

Well, I have been BF exclusively for 8 weeks but last night I gave DS his first bottle of formula. The decision has taken me a lomg time and I have shed many tears but I needed to give it a try as I was unhappy and many people have said to me "happy mummy equals happy baby". He settled really well last nigh and slept for longer. I felt more relaxed and BF during the night and throughout today was much less stressful and didn't feel like the chore it had become. I am going to try and only give him formula in the evening but I know that realistically it will probably begin to increase as my supply decreases. I am trying not to feel guilty as I know that I have given him a great start already.

Anyway, what I need to advice on is organising my day when formula feeding! No planning and prep is needed with BF!!! Any tips on the following would be great....

Should I sterilise the bottles in the morning?

How long will they stay sterile for?

Can I fill them all with water and add the powder when required?( He doesn't mind cold or room temp)

If a feed is started but not finished, how soon should it be disposed of. For example, could he have half now and half in 30 mins??

What times of the day/night should I aim to feed him??? What patterns work well for you?

Thank you.

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, September 24th 2010, 8:45pm

I know exactly how you feel. I also BF exclusively for about 8 weeks before introducing formula and I felt awful about it at the time. Yes, my breast milk supply did decrease, but I was much happier without the pressure of BF and it gave me much more flexibility.

I have 2 LOs and I am super organised with my bottles. On the basis that my LOs feed 5 or 6 times a day (although one only feeds 4 times most days), they have 6 bottles each. I all my bottles each day in one go and store them in the fridge where they can keep for up to 24 hours (although they can stay out of the fridge for a few hours if necessary (e.g. if you are taking a couple upstairs at night). I use cartons of formula for one of my LOs, which is very convenient especially if you are only bottle feeding occasionally, so I store her bottles empty. My other LO is on a hypo-allergenic powder formula, so I put a pre-measured amount of boiled water into her bottles. I also measure out the powdered formula into a special dispenser which you can by in Boots or Mothercare so it is just a case of empty the powder into the bottle and giving it a good shake (roll it between your hands first as this stops lumps clogging up the teats).

My girls take their bottles at room temperature (no faffing with a bottle warmer), so I always take the next feed out of the fridge when I finish the last feed. If I forget I zap it for 30 secs in the microwave and make sure I give it a good shake afterwards to avoid 'hot spots'.

At night I put everything I am going to need on a tray and leave it in the nursery: Bottles, formula, scissors if using cartons, bibs, muslins, Infacol etc. (if using).

I highly recommend MAM bottles which are anti-colic and also the Avent digital steriliser which does 6 bottles in 6 minutes. The MAM bottles come in several pieces so I partially assemble them before sterilising.

They say you're supposed to throw the formula away if it hasn't been used within an hour, but lots of newborns take longer than an hour to feed, and I expect lots of mums go beyond that (including me).

Your LO will probably feed every 3 hours while you mix feed, but you should be able to stretch it to 4 hours by the time he is 12 weeks if you increase the number of bottle feeds. Our feeding pattern has always been 7-11-3 (i.e. 7am, 11am, 3pm, 7pm, 11pm). The 11pm feed is supposed to be a 'dream feed' but I could never get my LOs to feed in their sleep. Eventually we gave up on that feed and gave them one feed in the middle of the night, usually around 1-2am.

I hope this helps.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Friday, September 24th 2010, 8:53pm

Fisrt of all you have done brilliantly BF for 8 weeks!

I steralise all my bottles at night and make them up with boiling water and keep in fridge,add formula as required. I always warm the milk as my LO prefers this. A made up bottle can be kept for 2 hours. The bottle of water in fridge lasts for 24 hours.

landi

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 5th 2008

Children: One gorgeous son born on 28th May 2010

Saturday, September 25th 2010, 5:50pm

Hey Jasper!
Here's a link you may find useful
Sterilising Equipment & Bottle Milk Shelf Life
Well done on 8 weeks - I only managed 3 weeks.
xx

LAURA
28.05.10 My miracle son Harry was born 5 weeks early, by c-section lurve

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE