You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "PurpleLuci" started this thread

Reg: Dec 17th 2007

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 9:49pm

Best Formula!?

Hey guys!!

Was just wonderine what the best formula is!? I've been using Aptamil, because I heard that its the best. But then I saw HIPP Organic.. So in your opinion which is best?

Thanks muchly in advance

xxxxxx
Me 23 DH 29
TTC: 3+ yrs
PCO & DH fine lurve

22/10/09 :BFP: :sticky:
So happy! babydust to all!

Born 20.06.2010 @ midnight - 7lb11.5oz

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Tuesday, August 31st 2010, 9:59pm

I don't think there is a 'best' formula. We use SMA and O is fine on it. My friend has a baby who didn't get on with is and is now on aptimil. Another friend uses cow and gate. There's so many. All babies differ so much.

If you're using aptimil and A is fine on it then I wouldn't worry chick. If you start changing formula's you may cause more problems as it will take them time to adjust to it and then they may mot get on with it.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Thursday, September 2nd 2010, 2:57pm

Hi purpleluci :D

It depends what you mean by *best*! I too use Aptamil and consider it to be absolutely fine! I also breastfed my twins and their poo was always pretty similar whether they'd had more breast or more bottle so I figured a good indicator that it was close to my breastmilk. There are only really four main choices, SMA, Cow and Gate, Aptamil and Hipp Organic. As you've picked Aptamil and your LO is getting along with it fine (no constipation or being sick etc) then I really wouldn't give it another thought. I think if you look at the ingredients on the back of any of these boxes you'd need a degree to know what all of them were and whether you'd prefer your baby not to have them! Hipp Organic is the only organic baby milk range in the UK and if organic is what you want then this would probably suit you.

I found this paragraph from www.askbaby.com (site not endorsed by FZ) which may be helpful to you.

Quoted

Which brand of formula milk?

Within the UK, the production of formula milk is strictly regulated so you can be confident that whichever brand you choose your baby's nutritional needs will be met.

Finding your baby's 'favourite' formula milk will largely be down to trial and error. However, once you've found a brand that your baby is happy with you should try not to change to regularly as they will get used to the taste and consistency.

You'll find that some formula milks are designed to be thicker than others so that less air is taken on board when your baby feeds, these can be a good option for infants who suffer badly with wind. Others have added fatty acids that the manufacturers say help to boost brain development, although there is little in the way of concrete evidence to support this. Some formula milks are organically produced so this can be a good option if you're particularly concerned about the additives and chemicals used in standard food production.

In terms of cost, most major brands of formula milk don't differ too far from one another. However, this is something else you'll need to take into consideration when choosing a brand.

Generally, if you're having any difficulty choosing a formula milk for your baby, are worried that the formula milk you're using isn't satisfying your baby's hunger, or have any other concerns, the best course of action is always to discuss your options with your midwife. They will be the best person to make a recommendation based on your baby's health and unique nutritional needs.

personally, as I said above, if your baby is getting on well with Aptamil I wouldn't change but if you did decide to switch brands, then do it gradually over several days.

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

Reg: Mar 17th 2008

Children: Twins!

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 4:04pm

Agree that it's very much down to your baby's preferences, but we were recommended Aptamil by my SIL who works in a nursery, as that's what they use for their babies.

We found that the Aptamil poo is soft and korma-like, similar to breastmilk poo, but there is a tendency for it to get quite runny and squishy, which means it oozes out of the nappy a bit. My kids have been absolutely fine with it, so we've never needed to change.

We did try the Aptamil hungry milk once during a growth spurt and that gave my son constipation, so we quickly stopped that one!!

Another difference is the frequency of the poos.... A friend of mine uses SMA for her little girl and only gets a poo once every 3-5 days, whereas our Aptamil poos occur at least once a day.
* Emma * :smile:
TTC 8 yrs PCOS - Clomidx10 - IVFx3
Nov 2009 Last try: Short protocol ICSI - wonderful BFP!!! -
TWINS!!
: D

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 6:36pm

Hi I use two, Aptimal in the day (when not breastfeeding) and Hipp Good Night Milk at bedtime, Aidens been fine with both and neither have affected his poo's. All baby's are different though, so I guess its just finding the right one for yours. I started with Aptimal because I was told it is the closest taste wise to breast milk and to be honest its not that far off! x
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE