You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Thursday, January 6th 2011, 9:05pm

Feeding at night until what age?

Hi!

I'm looking for some advice on how to encourage my baby not to feed at night! He is still feeding twice at night...once around 11/12 and then about 3/4am. A couple of weeks ago i changed from 4 hourly feeds in the day to 3 hourly feeds in the day to see if i could get him to eat more in the day and then he might sleep better at night. he is now sleeping better, but i think he is taking a similar amount as before. He is still having 7 feeds a day of 5oz! Occasionally he will wake up and feed at 1am and then go right through until 7 without a feed, but that is very rare! We try settling him before just feeding him...but he is definitely hungry cos i can hear his hungry cry and he feeds well.

Obviously i would love it if he slept all night without a feed, but i don;t mind him feeding at night h=if he needs to, its just that a lot of my friends with babies the same age say their babies are sleeping through from 7pm to 7am with no feeds?? A lot have dropped the late night feed recently. But i am still doing that feed and a middle of the night feed too!

i am just starting out with BLW, so know my LO won't be getting any nourishment from food for a while - will this make a difference or do you think i should be able to get him to feed in day and not the night?

I'm very :tired:

ETS: MY LO is almost 6 months old.

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "biggreeneyes" (Jan 6th 2011, 9:29pm)

Reg: Nov 22nd 2007

Children: William and Charlotte

Friday, January 7th 2011, 11:13am

Hey BGE, B sounds like a little gem but it is hard with lack of sleep.

Are you waking him for his 11/12 feed or is he asking for it? I was waking W for his 'dream feed' until a friend asked why I was waking a sleeping baby and when I stopped, he slept through within a couple of weeks. Even if this does not apply I think that you will notice a difference once the BLW kicks in.

Good luck sweetie

blowkiss

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Friday, January 7th 2011, 12:58pm

Hi AliB

I don't wake him for his late night feed, no. I did try the dream feed for a short while but he just woke up. he has fed about 10.30/11 for months, so i think he is used to it..so he wakes up himself. He is hungry though, otherwise i could put it down to habit.

A couple of weeks ago he was waking every hour :( but the last week or so he started sleeping 7-10/11ish then waking about every 2 and a half hours. The last few nights have been even worse though and he woke up at 5am and was then awake for the day a couple of days ago. Yday he woke up at 4am and sounded like he was awake for the day, but eventually we managed to get him back to sleep and then last night he woke at 3am for an hour before we could get him back to sleep! He does usually wake at about 6-6.20am for the day which would be fine if he had slept a bit more at night!! Or should i say if I had slept a bit more at night!!

Last night though he woke at 3 and i started to feed him but he was messing around with the teat, eventually when he wouldn't settle after nearly an hour, he ate and then went back to sleep! I just don;t know what to do to improve things. I really feel at a loss. :(

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, January 7th 2011, 4:11pm

Greeny, do you automatically feed him or do you try to settle him first?? I was going to say that it could be habit like you said. What time is his last feed before bed time?

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Friday, January 7th 2011, 5:19pm

Always try and settle him first Flic...my friend said perhaps to try cold milk from fridge so it might be less appealing? or even water?

Today and yday he is even being really hard to settle for naps which he has been a dream at these last couple of weeks. He seems to be squirming and flailing around a lot. i wonder if it is teething and his tummy is hurting??

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, January 7th 2011, 5:23pm

Ah maybe teething chick. O is out of sync because of her teeth. Maybe try water, could be that he's thirsty rather than hungry.

biggreeneyes

What's Up?

Friday, January 7th 2011, 5:58pm

I've also had it suggested I dilute night feed so he has less calories at night and will then eat more in day. What do you think?

goodgreen

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, January 7th 2011, 8:18pm

I'm not sure about diluting it. I know my HV told me not to do that but to offer just water. Plus I don't think if you did that it would change what he has in the day. Don't forget Ben doesn't know how many calories he's having or how much milk. The water will just quench his thirst, rather than fill him up.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE