You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Cheryl" started this thread

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Monday, March 14th 2011, 1:12pm

How much milk at 14 months?

Aiden's 14 months now and has 9oz formula when he gets up and 8oz bedtime formula before he goes to bed (as well as cows milk during the day). Should he still be taking this amount? I'm sure I read somewhere that they shouldnt be having milk before bed at 18 months so should I be reducing it? He quite often cries when his bottles finished at bedtime as if he wants more and it can take me a while to calm him enough to put him down to sleep. What is everyone else doing? xxxx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Monday, March 14th 2011, 5:19pm

Hi Cheryl, my two are the same age and I give them 8-9oz cows milk in a bottle morning and evening. I am not in a hurry to give it up, they enjoy it and I'm waiting for signs from them to stop, I am totally ignoring what the doogooders recommend! They have juice all through the day, but milk if they're poorly and not eating much.

I've recently stopped formula (have been mixing it with cows milk in the evenings since 12months as they woke early hungry) and they are doing fine on it.

I will probably consider switching bottle to beaker for the morning feed within the next few months but am happy to continue the evening bottle for longer. I still plan on offering them a nice cup of warm milk even when theyre toddlers before bed as it's a nice calming drink!

Do whatever you think is best for you LO :)

:xxx3:

Moonshine

compley

Megastar

Reg: Apr 30th 2006

Children: DS and DD

Monday, March 14th 2011, 6:48pm

Lily is 19 months, and she has between 5-7 oz's in the morning, and the same again at bed. She has milk in her breakfast, and yogurt during the day, as well as cheese/other dairy products. She drinks water throughout the day, but loves her milk (she gets her bib out, and points to her bottle, saying 'milk' in the morning, so cute!!)...As Monnshine says, I too feel she enjoys her milk, eats a a good diet, and is a healthy, active, inquisitive toddler, so I'm not changing anything at the mo.

It sounds like Aidan really enjoys his milk, and if you've got no specific concerns with his diet etc, I wouldn't worry too much at the moment.

xxx

Bride2Be

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

What's Up?
Pah!!!!!!

Monday, March 14th 2011, 8:22pm

My LO is coming up 14 months and still has his 2 x bottles per day of cow's milk,normally 7oz in morning and 7oz before bed, also has cow's milk in cereal and eats other dairy products during day. He loves his milk and scoffs it down, sometimes at night he will leave an oz or 2 but mostly guzzles it down. I'm hoping,like Moonshine to swap to a beaker in the coming months.
I would go with what LO wants,i'm sure if he is anything like my LO he will soon let you know when he doesn't want milk anymore.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, March 14th 2011, 8:45pm

I think the potential issue of having 'too much' milk at this age is that it affects their appetite and thus they don't eat a varied and balanced diet. However if your LO eats well and still wants milk morning and night then I see no harm in this at all. I still offer a beaker of milk with breakfast and before bed. Sometimes she will take lots, sometimes none.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Monday, March 14th 2011, 9:11pm

Thanks everyone, sounds like he's pretty normal. I'm certainly not worried about his diet, he has a fantastic diet and has a very healthy appetite. I guess I should just carry on and go with the flow. I'm giving him toddler milk for his morning milk, a bulky night time formula for bedtime and cows milk in a beaker during the day. I guess he'll reduce his amounts naturally and I should think about maybe introducing a beaker for the morning one to start and then the bedtime one. Thank you for your comments xxx
Cheryl

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, March 14th 2011, 9:23pm

Cheryl, I do know someone who has been advised by her HV to reduce her LO's milk intake because of the amount of extra calories he is getting from the milk drinks - calories which he doesn't need. I'm not saying at all that this would be an issue for you but if your LO does eat well then that might be a consideration for starting to reduce the feeds - or maybe substituting the daytime feeds to water/very diluted juice and changing to cows milk instead of a bulky formula at bedtime. Just a thought x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 8:34pm

Yeah he definitely eats well, its an ongoing joke at nursery, they always run through how he been and what he's eaten and apart from sandwiches (which he just wont even put to his mouth let alone eat) he polishes everything off, he's never once left anything since he started in early January. May be I should run it past my HV, not that i've seen or spoken to to her since he was about 9 months old but I guess you dont when they get a little older. He does drink water and I buy him Sainsburys own flavoured water which doesnt have any sugar in. I think what i'll do is once i've finised this tub of bedtime formula, i'll change it to normal formula, then to a beaker of warm cows milk Cheers everyone xx
Cheryl

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE