You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kd40

Ace

• "kd40" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 6:25am

Stopping advice please

Hello

I plan to have stopped breast feeding by the end of April (was originally end of Feb, but I didn't want to stop) as I am going away for a few days with chics and don't want to have to express etc.

Now he is on solids he's having less breast milk anyway and has up to two bottles a day. He currrently has formula and lunch time and at about 6 when DH comes home. He wakes about twice a night for feeding. Should I be giving formula at different times to help me reduce down more?

I was originally ready to stop at 2 months but have been really pleased I have kept going, but now feel is the right time to reduce/end - especially as he's got teeth!
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 7:01pm

Hey

Thanks for posting in my thread!

I don't really know hun, but just thought I'd let you know what my DS has done with her little man. I think she started giving formula at night and then introducing more in the day over a period of a couple of weeks. I think this eased the pain of stopping for her too and she said it wasn't too bad when she finally stopped. *Think* her little man goes through the night now but he is 11 months so quite a bit older.

She said she has been expressing a tiny amount just to keep herself comfortable.

Feels funny thinking about stopping doesn't it. My LO is a bit younger than yours but they grow up and change so fast don't they?!

xx

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 7:02pm

Hey

Thanks for posting in my thread!

I don't really know hun, but just thought I'd let you know what my DS has done with her little man. I think she started giving formula at night and then introducing more in the day over a period of a couple of weeks. I think this eased the pain of stopping for her too and she said it wasn't too bad when she finally stopped. *Think* her little man goes through the night now but he is 11 months so quite a bit older.

She said she has been expressing a tiny amount just to keep herself comfortable.

Feels funny thinking about stopping doesn't it. My LO is a bit younger than yours but they grow up and change so fast don't they?!

xx

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 9:50pm

Hi Kd,
Firstly, well done for b/f for 6 months - what a great start you've given your baby.
You say your lo is taking 2 formula feeds a day now. How many b/f is he still having in 24hrs?
The best way to stop without having problems with engorgement is to replace one b/f a day with formula, then do the same with another a few days later, and keep going this way until you've stopped b/f altogether. I take it the 2 feeds he has during the night are b/f - might be an idea to change one of those first, as night time feeds stimulate milk supply more than the daytime ones.
Hope this helps.

kd40

Ace

• "kd40" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 7th 2009

Children: One cheeky boy

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 2:36am

Hi Chris

Yes - all his night feeds are BF, I think during the day now he has tiny top ups but doesn't really feed from me much in the day. I know I want to give up - but will miss the closeness and ease of it. Also worried about putting on wieght when I stop (which I keep telling DH is my selfish reason to keep going). I did think of trying him on formula when he got up at 2am tonight but then changed my mind 0 Don;'t think I'm helping myself!

DOesn't help when at my mums yesterday he was having a BF and she said - oh I thougth you'd given up (one of the well meaning people who said I should give him more bottle from the start) and then DH keeps saying - well it's good to cut down (he also would have had me quit earlier although he denies this!!) sorry little rant over.

Gracie - you're right they grow up so fast - can't believe he's six months already he's rolling over and babbling away to hisself - he keeps saying something like dada - which is all we say to him to try and teach him it - but DH claims we can't count it as his first word yet! It does feel odd stopping as I was so worried I wouldn't be able to do it in the first place.
:BFP: Dec 2009 - IVF 1st try - our little miracle!
:BFP: June 2011 - Natural - another complete miracle - fingers crossed all is ok

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE