You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Geordie" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2007

Monday, March 21st 2011, 11:11am

Immunisations for Prematures

Hello

My Twins are due their first 8wk old immunisations this Thursday. The book from the HV says that prem babies should be immunised in line with the recommended schedule. Have all of you followed the guidelines on immunisations and stuck to the dates when they should have them. I just feel 8weeks is still very soon considering they are still so small. Emilia is now only 5lb 15oz and Taylor is 7lb at 7wks old. I know we've waited a long time to have them and I feel so protective with them being born at 34wks and I just feel apprehensive about it. What are your thoughts or experiences?
Many thanks xx

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, March 21st 2011, 6:19pm

Congratulations on the safe arrival of Emilia and Taylor.

My DD1 was born at 32 weeks and I'm trying to remember what we did re. immunisations. I think it was all a bit hit and miss to be honest as she was in SCBU for a while and then missed a few appointments due to having colds/viruses etc so I don't think she had some of them at the 'real' or the 'corrected' age!

I have a feeling though that she was scheduled for most of them at the real age, rather than corrected. I've put a link in below to a website for parents/relatives of prem babies - there's a message board there, as well as lots of info, so you may well find the answer there.

http://www.bliss.org.uk/

Are your babies still under Consultant care? If yes, you could phone and ask the question. I used to save up lots of questions for ours.....!

I expect Mrs Jasper will be along in a minute to help as well.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Monday, March 21st 2011, 6:26pm

Hello and congrats on your babies, Mine were born also prem, 29 weekers, we had all their immunisations done at their 'real' age.
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, March 21st 2011, 7:27pm

Hi

I found this advice for you from the NHS Immunisation Advice line

Quoted

The NHS Immunisation Advice line says, "Because a mother passes some protective antibodies to her baby across the placenta in the last three months of pregnancy, premature babies receive less of these antibodies." Because of this, the Department of Health (DoH) recommends that all babies, regardless of their gestational age, receive their vaccinations at the same scheduled time. This means that your baby will receive his first course of immunisations when he is 8 weeks old (actual age).

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, March 21st 2011, 7:45pm

Hiya Geordie,
Congratulations on the arrival of your babies. The advice is that prematurity means that your babies may be more vulnerable to serious infection so they should be vaccinated asap. This means in line with the normal UK schedule at 8, 12 and 16 weeks. I have done this with a fair few babies who were born prem without any problems at all, the only thing I do differently is sometimes use a slightly smaller needle. There are some special precautions to follow for babies born before 28 weeks gestation or with breathing difficulties but they are still recommended to have them at the normal time.

• "Geordie" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2007

Wednesday, March 23rd 2011, 6:11pm

Thanks for all your replies. I have booked them in. The surgery couldn't fit them in bang on their 8weeks so they will be done at 9weeks so its not too far off. Dreading it but know its for the best.

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, March 24th 2011, 12:21pm

Smart decision Geordie. It might not be as bad as you think, most babies cry a little bit, but they usually settle down really quickly after a cuddle from mummy.