You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Moonshine" started this thread

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, March 6th 2011, 10:26pm

Swimming Aids

Hi all - I am after some advice/opinions...

I took the moonlets swimming for the first time a few days ago - they're now 14 months old. I had to do a quick hit and run on Mothercare for some armbands as my local pool requires all children under 5 to have swim aids (we weren't sure if parents counted!!).

Anyway - we used the armbands, but the girls were not too impressed. They seemed to just get in the way and were so clumpy that they could really move their little arms much.

What do you lovely people use when you take your LO's swimming? Do you think I should get a swim vest or a floatation costume for them or persevere with armbands? I've read varying reviews and am so confused!

Thank you in advance biggrin2

Moonshine

Kitty

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Monday, March 7th 2011, 3:49pm

Don't think I can be much help but here I am posting anyway!

At the swimming classes we go to there's no requirement for armbands though they have a big supply if you want to try them. As I hold onto DS most of the time they aren't really necessary at the moment, however I've tried them recently as DS is beginning to like striking out on his own (interesting when he can't swim!). The ones supposedly for his age just didn't hold enough air to counterbalance his own particular brand of chunkiness so I still had to hold him. I tried the next size up but had the same problem and, like you said, they just got in the way really. Plus we do underwater swimming each week and you have to take them off for that so overall I can't be bothered with the faff.

Also the baby needs to know to keep its arms down in the water whilst wearing armbands. DS does do that but he's 19 months so not sure if your girlies are at that stage or not.

With twinnies I can definitely see it would be invaluable to have them able to float (with some form of support) but I'm not sure what would be the best type of support. I would just say armbands aren't probably the best thing for you all right now (as you have already discovered!).

Good luck - hopefully someone will come along in a bit with some more practical advice.
blowkiss

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 12:46pm

Hi

I found the costumes with floats in them good for George as arm bands do just get int the day and the rings are pretty useless too. The ones they sit in were ok but I wanted him used to the water and again they were restrictive but good as I knew he was safe and I could pull him as he bobbed about. x

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 12:58pm

At lessons we use nothing. When I take her by myself i use nothing for most of the time (just swim her up and down) but also put her in one of those sit in rings for a little while. She loves that as she can look about and be nosey and have a really good kick with her legs. If they haven't been swimming before then the ring can be a really good way to get them used to the water, though at 14 months you wouldn';t get much use out of it now.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Tuesday, March 8th 2011, 11:04pm

I saw something called a swim fin the other day. Haven't googled it yet but plan to as DD2 is now too keen to be independent in a pool but hates armbands......... Currently she uses a woggle and pods along with that under her arms, kicking her legs. Its a bit precarious though for my liking!

They're like shark fins you strap on kids' backs - sound horrendous but looked cute I thought.

As I said, haven't looked at the details yet myself but might be worth a google!?

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 3:20pm

We did a lot of swimming whilst on holiday last week and Martha definitely needs a bit more independence in the water now. As you have all said armbands don't seem ideal but I'm not sure about the floatsuit because it looks like she would then be upright in the water rather than horizontal.
So I wondered if anyone had tried using one of those long noodle float things? I'm happy to be right beside her but think she needs the feeling of freedom!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 12:52pm

Used a float the other day, George loved it (although kept having to tell him to hold on a concentrate rather than nose at everyone else!). As Marthas younger the bendy floats around her are more than likely a good idea as you can wrap around but shell still feel like shes doing it for herself in a way. x

Caz

Ace

Reg: Aug 17th 2008

Children: 2 perfect boys, Thomas & James

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 1:34pm

The Konfidence float suits are brilliant. Thomas swims around all over the place in his and has done since he was tiny. It has given him great confidence, infact we always get comments about his swimming in the pool he does so well in it. Only thing I would say about them is err on the smaller side when ordering as if they are too big the floats ride up around their face until they get used to moving with the buoyancy.
IVF/ICSI Aug 08 :BFP: - Thomas born 26/04/09 baby2
FET Aug 10 :BFP: - James born 18/04/11 baby7