You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ros

Megastar

• "Ros" started this thread

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, April 1st 2011, 7:28pm

won't eat

Hey ladies, my struggles with feeding Flora are continuing. We were doing ok(ish) for a while then few weeks ago she had her MMR, a cold and new teeth and since then she has decided that she isn't eating again.
I know I'm not being paranoid as Ellie is eating really well still. They get exactly the same food but Flora refuses to try most things and throws her spoon on the floor. When I stop picking her spoon up she gets the food in her hands and throws it on the floor. I am despairing. She is drinking her water and milk (but starting to loose appetite for milk a bit now) and needs to sleep more in the daytime which is hardly surprising has she doesn't get any energy from carbs. I am worn out with making yummy meals which Ellie eats but Flora throws and she refuses jars too.
How do I get her appetite back? Meal times are no fun at the moment, I do my best to not look bothered with her behaviour but I'm concerned she won't grow and will always be tiny due to not eating at this age. I can see Ellie growing as she needs the next size up in clothes but Flora is still skinny and tiny and on the 2nd centile of her charts. Help!
Any advice appreciated, thank you! x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Friday, April 1st 2011, 7:44pm

Aww Ros, I really feel for you.I know how hard this is as we've had eating issues with DD1 on and off now for ages. She lost weight around 14 months (she weighed just under 16lb,but was nearer 17lb at 11 months),it's so hard when you can visibly see them shrinking.

I'm trying to think what I wish I had done differently............I think I would have just offered her main meal that I wanted her to eat with some finger foods that I know she probably would eat.I wouldn't have got too hung up on what she was eating,but just be glad she was eating something. I know this may set up fussy eating but you can't force them to eat can you and when they are so slim you just want them to eat- anything! It is hard to stay calm and to show her that it's not bothering you,I didn't always manage this.

I know everyone told me not to worry but it is hard (and frustrating as you have Ellie also),I know you'll be keeping an eye on the situation so you could take her to the Gp if needs be,but hopefully it'll be a phase ( :rolleyes: ),but perhaps she'll just be small and not that fussed about food.

My DD still has a small appetite and still has a restricted diet but I don't battle her any more.Obviously it is easier as I can communicate with her etc

I hope Flora starts enjoying her food soon,it's very tough for you [zx127]

xxxx
[zx076] BEAUTIFUL 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER [zx076]

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "csam" (Apr 1st 2011, 7:46pm)

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 4:18pm

Is there anything she really likes to eat? Is she more likely to eat if walking about it sitting on a picnic rug in the lounge than in a highchair? I know it isn't ideal to feed them different food in different ways but if it means she will eat something then you might feel better.
X

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 8:25pm

Hi Ros, I feel for you! I have a battle of wills sometimes with both of mine, for different reasons.

Molly had a low appetite for quite some weeks after being ill - but she did eventually pick up. In the mean time she'd just eat bits and pieces as I knew there wasn't much point trying dinner. I just tried her with stuff little and often, such as banana/baby biscotti/organix flapjack bars/bread/rice cakes etc just to get small amounts in. She would always take yoghurts or cold fruit pots though so she'd sit quite happily for pudding!

Jen's idea about the picnic rug is a good one. We have our breakfast on a snack mat as I can't bear three potential battles during the day! They scavenge cheerio's off the floor after they've tipped them out, sit still for fruit pots and then wander round with small bits of toast.

G is not easy to try with new foods - but she will eat anyone elses food happily if she's sitting on a lap or standing up next to you!

It's hardwork but try not to worry too much - little and often is the key and plenty filling snacks. She'll get her appetite back with avengence soon I bet (M did to the extent she was eating more than G!)

Good luck! xx

Moonshine

19verve

United Kingdom

Reg: May 6th 2008

Children: one.

What's Up?
Loving 'one born every minute!'.

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 8:46pm

I feel for you as little lady is still a terrible eater. Dd is 22 months old and still only weighs twenty two pounds. She eats no meat at all. I put children's programme on from c beebies about eating and she sits on a mat on the floor and only eats fingers food while watching tv. She does not like anyone food. Trial and error i am afraid x good luck with little ladies x

DH - Normal
Me - Benign pelvic MESOTHELIOMA

bab10 DD conceived by IVF at The Lister Hospital, Chelsea. (lost one twin x)

MY DIARY

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "19verve" (Apr 2nd 2011, 8:48pm)

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 8:58pm

Ros, first of all, hugs for you, as you sounds stressed. Second thing is that this isn't likely to be anything to do with what you are/aren't doing - my 2 kids have really different eating habits but were both treated/fed the same. I have asked myself a lot why DD2 doesn't share some of DD1's good eating habits but the bottom line is they're different people and you can't make them respond the same way.

However - some things we've done - distraction - my personal favourite - when DD1 went through various phases of not eating certain things or playing up at mealtimes etc (and they ALL do go through various phases like that!) I used to either read to her, have the radio on in the background and was known to sometimes let her watch TV (I can hear the horrified gasps!). I also used to amuse guests/friends by sometimes singing when she was eating - sometimes I'd sing the whole mealtime to her and she'd clap, join in and eat!

She had a restricted diet at one point due to food intolerances and one particularly horrible week she was allowed just 5 foods - can't remember them all but lamb, butternut squash and rice were 3 of them - as we were trying to rule in/out various things - and it took every distraction trick I had to get her to keep eating the same things all week.

Also, I just used to think that really I'd rather both girls ate, developed a taste for lots of different food etc than fight over something which was likely to be a short lived phase - so singing and reading it was.

Then there's other things - savoury first, don't make an issue out of any food left/played with/spat out, praise for trying new tastes and good behaviour, encouraging her independence re. eating, keep trying new food, don't make different or alternative meals if she won't eat what's given, don't rush mealtimes and when she's a bit older there's other stuff - she can more involved with preparing food - even if its just a toy knife and a bit of bread and butter, and also growing your own stuff - my 2 love to eat fruit/veg we've grown in the garden. Also, we eat outside when the weather allows - either at a table or on a rug on the grass - kids seem to love it and it's easier to clear up!

Having said all that I still have one DD who will happily choose mango over chocolate or meat & veggies over fish fingers and will eat almost anything - e.g. went for tea at a friend's house this week and was given pepper & courgette curry for tea and ate the lot (much to the surprise of her friend's Mum!) and one DD who, if left to her own choices, would eat chocolate, crisps and cake for every meal, every day. I think kids go through a phase at about 18 months/2 years old re. trying new foods and restricting their diet so I'm hoping she's just in that phase at the moment.......!

Anyway, I hope things get easier soon - if you continue to be worried or she starts to look dehydrated etc or you have concerns over weight loss then phone your HV or GP ASAP.

Wishing you lots of luck.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, April 3rd 2011, 8:33pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that I am also not holier than thou and will quite happily let my two sit and watch cbeebies while eating when needed...M will instantly calm down and eat while the songs are on and start thrashing and screaming violently when it stops and she realises that she was trying to be difficult. Little minx :snigger:

Moonshine

Ros

Megastar

Monday, April 4th 2011, 12:20pm

Thank you so much for your replies ladies. I think you may be right with the distraction technique. Yesterday (mothers day) was a disasterous day as found both E&F had been sick in the night and were covered in it when I went in at 6.30am (I think coughing makes Flora sick and Ellie must be sick in sympathy, there is no other logical reason) so I had to clear up all the mess and bathe them, but when we went to my Mum's to see their cousin (6 months older than them) Flora actually ate a little (very little but better than nothing) whilst watching her cousin have her dinner. We were all so pleased but then Flora coughed again in her sleep at 8-9pm and brought up all that food so I had to start on another lot of washing and put her to bed without any food again. We even took her to the out of hours doctor but he couldn't find anything obviously wrong with her .....

There are no favourites other than blueberries and odd bit of other fruits. And then when I think something is a favourite the next time she won't eat it.

Haven't tried tv over meal times yet (but I do have the radio on) as no TV in the kichen and they pay no attention to it in the lounge anyway. I am tempted to take high chairs into the lounge (wooden floor so no carpet worry) to see if a different place and the tv helps. I don't want to get them into the habit of needing the tv at mealtimes but on the other hand I would do anything to get Flora eating again ....

Thank you again for your thoughts and suggestions x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,

Ros

Megastar

Monday, April 4th 2011, 12:24pm

p.s. Moonshine, you made me laugh thinking about your two scavenging for cheerios on the floor. Maybe I should try different style mealtimes. We do snacks sitting on a mat but they try to turn the bowl of grapes/whatever it is upside down and crawl over the food so it's very messy and I'd certainly never try it with weetabix which Ellie loves! (but goes everywhere and dries on like paste!) x

Ros

Megastar

Saturday, April 9th 2011, 9:25pm

We have finally solved this problem (I hope) so Flora's appetite should come back soon ... I put the latest on another thread ...

http://www.parentingzone.co.uk/index.php…dID=39478]/url]

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE