You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Jasper" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 5:28pm

Weaning- Stuck in a rut!!

DS has a fantastic appetite and so far has eaten everything I have offered him, that can be spoonfed but we are making slow progress on finger food, but we are getting there. The problem is my lack of imagination!!! He doesn't eat his meals at the same time as us so despite people just saying give him what you have, it's not really practical. I am worried that he doesn't get enough variety as I run out of ideas on what to give him.

Everyday he has 1 slice of toast with dairylea on and 1 weetabix for breakfast, lunch is either fish pie, shepherds pie or beef casserole ( depending what I have recently made and is in the freezer) followed by natural youghurt with fruit, tea is pasta with cheese sauce and a vegetable or a mix of veg with cheese sauce followed by yogurt and fruit again, and maybe some slices of banana too. Every couple of days I give him some jarred food to give more variety!!!! We have very busy days and not a lot of time for cooking ( and also he screams everytime I leave the room and the kitchen is very small so it's difficult for me to take him with me so I need quick meals!!!)

Any ideas on what else I can give him?????

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 6:09pm

Hi

I have been spoon feeding Daniel too but do offer finger foods but he struggles a bit too. He likes mango & melon fingers but sometimes he will keep what he has bitten off in his mouth and cry until I take it out. I have been giving him toast too & the odd bit of crumpet if we have them on a Sunday morning.

Yesterday he tried cucumber & tomato but I had to take the green rind off the cucumber. He also likes raisins & sultana's and I will be trying him on chopped up apricots soon but as far as proper food goes, I too haven't really come up with great ideas for finger foods.

I shall watch for replies with anticipation xx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 7:58pm

Bananas, carrot sticks, chicken dippers, beans, peas, sandwiches

Can I ask how come he doesn't eat at the same times as you? For me it is sooooo much easier to feed my LO at the same time because I just put what I've got on her tray and leave her to it.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 8:17pm

Can I recommend a couple of recipe books which are predominantly finger food based but I reckon you could adapt some of them for spoon feeding if you wanted -

The Baby-led Weaning Cookbook by Gill Rapley

and

Finger Foods for babies and toddlers by Jennie Maizels

Annabel Karmel also does one but she tends to use sugars and syrups in her recipes so I'm less keen to use them.

Other good, and easy ideas are -

Roasted vegatable wedges eg potato, sweet potatoes, courgettes, butternut squash
Eggy bread
Sliced boiled egg
Roast dinner - strips of chicken, brocolli & cauliflower even yorkshire puddings
Pasta, noodles - favourite meal in our house is pasta with pesto and philidelphia stirred in with mixed veggies and chicken/tuna/ham
Garlic bread
Sandwiches
Cheese on toast
Breakfasts - mini shredded wheat/shreddies/weetabix, toast fingers, crumpets, pancakes

Really anything that you would normally eat can be adapted to be a finger food.

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 8:21pm

Ah, Garlic bread, O loves it but man does her breath stink afterwards!!

Reg: Jan 29th 2009

Children: Our gorgeous son was born 16/7/2010

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 9:12pm

Hi Jasper!
I give H breadsticks or rice cakes with houmous on, tonight he had slices of toasted pitta bread with tzatziki, he loves slices of melon, mango, soft apple, pear and kiwi. Small cheese sandwiches or philadelphia on bread/toast. I find it difficult to feed H the same as what we have as he is ready for his evening meal a long time before my DH is home from work. I feed him around 5pm then give him finger food (usually bits of fruit or small bits of what we are having) while we eat. We do a combination of spoon feeding and baby led weaning. I know it's not always recommended but it works for us. I have to say I struggle with breakfast though. Have tried weetabix and ready brek but he will still only eat the baby porridge/cereals.
Hope this helps a bit xx

Oct/Nov 09 - 1st IVF :BFP:
Jan 2012 - Short Protocol ICSI :BFP:
7 wk scan 2/3/12 One [zx076] seen

joL

Ace

Reg: Oct 8th 2009

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 10:57am

Can i join? I am to struggling. Can i ask do/did your lo hav teeth? Mine is 7mths and no teeth so i a bit dubious about giving him things like chicken dippers incase he chokes
JoJo xx

:BFP: 25th Dec 09 au naturale
Bouncing baby boy Lee 9lb65oz. 11th sept 2010

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 11:19am

Nope, mine didn't have any teeth when we started. Their gums are soooooo hard! They just chew and mush with their gums.

We did baby led weaning from day 1 so my LO doesn't know any different. I don't know anything about traditional weaning or how babies would cope with being introduced solid foods but I know that from about 6 months they should be having some finger foods anyway so should be ok.

joL

Ace

Reg: Oct 8th 2009

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 2:24pm

He is and has been since 6mths but been getting (food) from 10wks. Just what i am giving him in finger food would never b enough 2 fill him
JoJo xx

:BFP: 25th Dec 09 au naturale
Bouncing baby boy Lee 9lb65oz. 11th sept 2010

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 3:45pm

Thanks for the ideas. What shall I give him for tea??? ?( He likes pasta so maybe pasta with philadelphia. We don't eat very much meat so I think maybe I'll get a packet of ham to put in the fridge aswell. Someone mentioned beans, is that baked beans?

We now have breakfast together but normally I have lunch when he is aslep and we have dinner at 7.30 or 8pm as DH doesn't get home from work til 6pm so its straight in to bathtime, bottle & bed! I keep thinking he should always be having proper meals for example casserole, bolognese which means either making them and putting them in the freezer or using jars.

He has 6 teeeth but they are all at the front and alot of the chewing is being done by his gums.

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 3:51pm

JoL - Like I said, I don't know anything about traditional weaning at all. We are on and have been on complete solids since 6 months and at about 9ish months dropped the daytime milk feeds because she was eating more food herself. I give O exactly what I have, so yesterday it was chicken dippers, beans and veg and then a yoghurt, lunch was a dairylea sandwich and a yoghurt.

In BLW the mantra is 'food is for fun until they're one' basically a baby gets all their calories from their milk and so them not eating loads doesn't matter because they still have milk feeds, as they eat more the milk goes down.

As your LO has been used to puree's I don't know how it would work switching to just finger food because like you say they just wouldn't fill him, he'll be used to eating and swallowing without really chewing, where as BLW babies learn to chew before they actually swallow and so helps prevent the choking.

Jasper, baked beans!! Mmmm. My LO loves them!! Ham is good rolled up or put into a sandwich!

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 4:13pm

My LO started on just puree's and he still knows what to do if he swallows something that he hasn't chewed enough but like you say they may not get enough, or it would take all day. Quite a few bits of toast or banana get regurgitated, chewed a bit more then swallowed!!!

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 4:47pm

Hiya

My twinnies have home made pizza,fish fingers,yorkshire puddings,eggy bread,cheese on toast,crumpets,tea cakes,fruit toast.They love sandwiches the best - dairylea,ham,egg,tuna etc. I also make meatballs and chicken balls and toad in the hole.They like blueberries,banana,strawberries and mango etc

My eldest DD used to like homemade fishcakes,fish pie,bolognese,cauliflower cheese.She even had mild curry before she decided she didn't want to eat at all ( :rolleyes: ),but that's a whole other thread.

I love BLW but would like the twinnies to be able to eat some spoon fed food also so I can batch cook to make it easier for when I go back to work.They will have yogurts and ready brek/weetabix from a spoon but look suspicious if I put anything else on a spoon!

It sounds like your Lo is having a good variety.

xxxxx
[zx076] BEAUTIFUL 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER [zx076]

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 5:15pm

He had tuna pasta and philly for tea! I'm not sure that he likes it too much, but I did! :snigger:

Might try a sandwich tomorrow....

Sounds like you make some lovely things csam. Do you freeze any of them or make it all fresh on the day?

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 6:57pm

Hiya Jasper

I make up a batch of chicken balls/meat balls and freeze them. (I HATE cooking tbh so like things I can freeze in bulk!),with the pizzza. I make up a batch of dough and freeze in portions and also make up the sauce and freeze that in weaning pots or ice cube trays. Then just get it out of the feezer when I need it. They've had ham,cheese and tuna pizza so far. I'm always looking out for new ideas so will come back to this thread.

I puree weaned my eldest DD and they all end up eating finger foods,'normal meals' etc when they are ready. BLW is brilliant for me as they feed themselves so it saves me time really. But I think if they'll eat off a spoon or feed themselves its win win really!

xxxx
[zx076] BEAUTIFUL 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER [zx076]

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Thursday, April 14th 2011, 7:33pm

Jasper, it sounds like your LO is getting a great variety so don't worry yourself too much. Like Csam says, make up sauces and meatballs etc in a batch then you can just get it out the freezer when you need it and add to pretty much anything.... pasta/rice/veg etc. Don't forget that what might seem odd combinations for us doesn't really matter with babies - if B wants meatballs with cucumber sticks then let him have it!

Just watch the amount of salt in the ham and baked beans though.

As you know I'm only just starting out with BLW with my LO (and he still hasn't worked out he needs to use his hands to eat!! :rolleyes: ) but I'm intending to batch cook things like fishcakes/chicken or meatballs/cheese sauces etc so I know I always have something in the freezer that won't take forever to cook.

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010