You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "weeyin" started this thread

Reg: Nov 19th 2009

Children: TWIN GIRLS BORN 22/02/11

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 1:18am

Waking baby for feeds

Hi, I am looking for some advice regarding waking a sleeping baby for bottle feeding. Our twins are now 7 weeks old and are taking 5oz each at each feed. We normally feed them on demand at around 3 or 4 hours, however they seem to be sleeping longer since we upped their feed from 4oz to 5oz, which I know is good. Sometimes they can sleep up to 6 hours without a feed!?!

They seem happy enough and I'm sure if they are really hungry they would let me know.

What do you think...........?
Thanks

1st ICSI June 2010 :BFP: Double Trouble

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 7:47am

Hi Wee Yin - your girls are gorgeous!!

I'd say to not wake them and let them sleep - they will definitely let you know when they're hungry, and as long as they're looking healthy and gaining weight steadily there's no problem.

You'll find as they get that bit older they'll settle into a pattern for a while, then after a few weeks their pattern may change again, so just go with it and have confidence in your intuition as nobody can read your babies like you can :)

:xxx3:

Moonshine

19verve

United Kingdom

Reg: May 6th 2008

Children: one.

What's Up?
Loving 'one born every minute!'.

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 7:51am

I was told never wake a sleeping baby! best wishes.

DH - Normal
Me - Benign pelvic MESOTHELIOMA

bab10 DD conceived by IVF at The Lister Hospital, Chelsea. (lost one twin x)

MY DIARY

csam

Star

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 9:11am

Hi

We had to wake our twins every 3 hours to feed as they were small and premature but I think we probably stopped doing that around the same age your twins are.Like the others say if they are gaining weight well and are healthy they will let you know when they are hungry.

xxx
[zx076] BEAUTIFUL 4 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER [zx076]

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, April 13th 2011, 2:39pm

I believe that the more you get into them during the day the less you have to feed them at night, so I'd wake them up as you want the 6 hour stretch to be at night rather than during the day.

Lucky you getting 5oz down them at each feed! I struggle to do that with one of mine even now and she's nearly one. They will soon be big enough to sleep 11pm until 7am without a night feed.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Friday, April 15th 2011, 7:46pm

I would say not to wake them if they are going 6 hours, On the other hand I would say if one wakes after 5 hours and the other is still sleeping I would wake the other to feed them at the same time .
I know some people will shoot me down for saying wake a sleeping baby but in my experience i functioned better feeding both at the same time then if it was one after the other all day and all night. Unlesthere is any concern with babies weights etc then i cant see that leaving the 5-6 hours will do any harm, Good Luck and Enjoy, they are gorgeous xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Friday, April 15th 2011, 8:13pm

yep, I agree with the others. When mine were first born I was on a 2 hourly feed pattern with one who was very tiny, and a three hourly feed pattern with the other. I had to wake them to give them milk at first because they needed the milk in them, but then I realised that the bigger one could last longer so I left her at night and gradually she did the whole night on her own, then I was just left with one baby to feed in the night and it was so much easier. I don't know if your babies (they are gorgeous by the way!) are similiar or different sizes but that will make a difference to your choice. It is easier to feed them together in the day but at night you need to find a way of getting the maximum sleep for yourself so do whatever it takes to get that. You will feel so much better with more sleep x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE