You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Flic

• "Flic" started this thread
  • Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 2:36pm

Cutlery and Crockery

Hello,

When do you start introducing cutlery and crockery?

I know that my LO will just throw a bowl on the floor and spoons she just messes with.

And advice would be much appreciated.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Kitty

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 4th 2008

Children: One little boy, thanks to IVF

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 2:57pm

I had the same thoughts as you - that DS would chuck them on the floor! - but they went down surprisingly well. I think I started with a plate when he was about 15 or 16 months and then he got a cutlery set at Christmas when he was 17 months which he loves. But don't take those timings as gospel - it might have been OK if I'd started sooner, only I was wary like you so didn't feel brave enough to try for ages!

I always put his food on a plate, or in a bowl now, but there are some meals when we don't bother with cutlery. Sometimes that's fine but occasionally he'll see we have cutlery and will insist he has his - and if I have a fork and give him a spoon (because it would be easier for him) that's often not acceptable!

If I was you I'd think about getting them in the next few weeks (if you haven't already) and giving them a go. As long as you're prepared for them to hit the floor a few times and are chilled about it then why not?!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 4:07pm

DD1 - can't remember! DD2 loves to show she has finished eating by chucking her plate and whatever's left on it on the floor, so she still has a plastic plate. However we stayed with my aunty in Feb who had real plates and a tiled floor and she didn't do it. She is better in company, restaurants etc... So when I am feeling brave I give her a real plate and she does ok. Maybe you could get cheap ones from a charity shop that you don't mind being broken? Stoneware tends to survive better than fine china. She has never had plastic cutlery, she uses a childs fork and a proper teaspoon. We have some desert forks from TKMaxx which are just the right size. I would like a proper table knife in a small size for DD1, one that actually cuts, but I can't find one anywhere. I know Ikea do kids plastic cutlery sets but I am not a big fan. My eldest can use a proper knife and fork, it just would be easier if they came in a smaller size.

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 7:50pm

I think we started encouraging DD to use her own cutlery around her first birthday, so around the age Tilly is now Flic. It took her ages to get the spoon the right way up - she still got her yoghurt or whatever it was in, just from the back of the spoon. I thought she'd never get it the right way round, but one day she did. She's been using a fork for a while now as well. When she's with one of her friends eating they just sit there shouting 'stab it' to each other. Bit embarassing in public!

We've used plates and bowls from very early on, despite BLW. She went through the throwing phase when she'd finished eating but is over it now. We still use plastic /melamine plates, bowls etc. I'm not sure why to be honest. I'd not really thought about changing to crockery but I might very well do so now. On the whole we use metal forks and spoons - I found some good sets in the 99p/£1 shops. She does have a habit of banging the spoon against her teeth though, so if I'm particuarly irritable (!) I give her a plastic spoon.

She's bound to throw them when you introduce them but she's just experimenting. If you just keep on replacing it on her high chair then she'll soon get the message. Do you use a high chair with a tray? We did for ages and then changed to one which sits up to the table and her manners have improved loads. She seems far more accepting of cutlery and crockery there than she ever was on her 'baby' high chair.

Mrs J - TK maxx have had some good knife/fork/spoon sets in them in children sizes. I think I've seen some in John Lewis as well.

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Wednesday, April 20th 2011, 7:54pm

We use the Tommee Tippee magic mat which keeps the plate/bowl stuck to the table. It is a bit hit and miss and they sometimes get it off but it is better than nothing. I have just ordered some spoons which stay the right way up no matter which way they are turned so I will be giving them a try in the next few days.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 12:24pm

Thank you so much for all the advice. We did get some melomine sets for her Christening so it may be time to get them out.

When I've tried with a bowl before she just chucks it on the floor no matter whether she's eating or not!

Bubble, our highchair is adjustable so I can remove the tray and pull her up to the table. We've got the boys tonight too so I'm thinking that today might be a good day to try pull her up and sit her at the table with the boys because she loves copying them and I think she'll hopefully do what they do.

When DH feeds her with a spoon (yoghurt) she tries to put any left over peas and things on the spoon for him to then feed to her but when she's taken the spoon before she doesn't seem to know what to do with it.

But I think today we'll give it a go at tea time and see what happens.

Scarlett

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Thursday, April 21st 2011, 12:58pm

William's been having normal plates and bowls for a while and always has at least 2 spoons to practice with now lol. He can sometimes spoon bits and bobs into his mouth, but I'm more interested in the fact that he enjoys dabbing into the food and copying me. I think we must be blessed because he has never thrown food or dishes overboard (he is very greedy though :snigger: ) I don't plan to introduce a fork for a while, unless he reaches for one. I bet your LO will enjoy watching the boys and doing what they do tonight. it's lovely to see them becoming so interested and independent isn't it? lurve

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Wednesday, April 27th 2011, 7:55pm

I used melamine or plastic bowls and plates from start. Still use those as tantrum madam will throw them on floor when I refuse to give in to some demands. M always wanted a spoon to wave about even when using hands to eat. She was able to use spoon/fork to eat pudding/ mashed stuff from about 11 months. Used to be plastic but got her a cutlery set for birthday. Though really we need lots of sets as I get such of washing them all the time as don't have dishwasher on every day so end up fixing her plastic ones. Just did a Google search and you can buy sets of 12 stainless steel infant sized knives, forks, etc. Might see if a couple of friends want to go thirds on some as 4 lots would be perfect!x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JENSQUI" (Apr 27th 2011, 7:56pm)

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Thursday, April 28th 2011, 10:53am

Hello,

Well, the highchair is just the wrong height. Its about an inch out from going under the table without squashing her!

I gave her a spoon and she's had lots of fun with it. She's not really used it but she likes holding it and pretending to feed me her food!! She did keep trying to put a pea on her spoon but it kept falling off which I could tell she was not impressed about!

We've been using a melomine plate which is ok.

I'm lucky really that she does like to eat.

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Friday, April 29th 2011, 9:01pm

Ok I think I am obviously a very bad and selfish parent...but I have noooo intention of giving mine cutlery properly for a good few months yet. I just simply could not cope with the nuclear fallout three times a day!

Occasionally, if if am feeding mine individually, I will sit the one on my lap with a bowl and a spoon and practice guiding the spoon to pick up food and put it to mouth.

I have tried sitting them at the table with suction bowls and finger foods, but the suction is rubbish and it all ends up on the floor, as naturally they play. One little lady is extrememely fidgety and doesn't have the concentration to sit and feed herself enough food. She screams and protests, then her sister (who's the more independent co-ordinated one) jumps on the bandwagon too and then refuses to eat because her sister's not!! I really, really hate wasting food and I really hate trying to clean up with two babies crawling through the mess - so for now I am happy with spoon feeding them meals and giving them finger foods around it.

Later in the summer I'll sit them outside in just their nappies with a spoon and a yoghurt and start the practise... and until then, won't worry about it!

Moonshine

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Friday, April 29th 2011, 9:07pm

Thanks for that Moony, I was getting worried that I'd left it too late!

I've given her a plate of food today and she just tipped the food onto her tray and chucked the plate! Guess that means she doesn't want the plate. Also gave her a spoon and a fork to play with for a bit before tea and she played with them but then when food came she just chucked them both in order to shovel food in easier. I mean honestly. She stuffed a whole king prawn in. And then she was stuffing grapes in, so many that she couldn't actually chew them. And thats only cos Nanna had some and then she had to share them with madam otherwise she threw a wobbler!

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, April 29th 2011, 9:56pm

How funny! M got a new chick plate dor Easter from her grandparents and now she is asking for 'ick' which could be interpreted as sick I guess! She also tries to feed her monkey with the spoon....and then wipe its mouth with a cloth. Poor monkey us not looking so good any more!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Flic

• Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, April 30th 2011, 1:12pm

Awwww, poor monkey! Its great that she's so clever and knows what to do though!! Well done M!!!

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, May 3rd 2011, 12:11pm

Hey ladies, I have used bowls and spoons for mine for a few months now. The bowls are very good suction ones (everyone marvels about them when they come round). They are called Vital Baby Unbelievabowl (you can get from Boots or John Lewis) and have been amazing. I only have two so pudding is served in normal bowls which get chucked on the floor when they have finished eating. It is messy giving them cutlery (and tiring picking up thrown spoons off the floor) but the more practice they get, the better they get at it so I have stuck with it. One of my two uses her spoon properly now and makes practically no mess (the other makes up for it though and is super messy!) and they can both eat a fromage frais by themselves with spoons, they look so pleased with themselves. If the meal is just finger food we might not bother with bowls though.
Good luck!

p.s. I swear by detol wipes. I am constantly clearing the floor up around the highchairs!

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful