You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tiggs

Star

• "Tiggs" started this thread

Reg: May 14th 2009

Children: Two precious baby girls thanks to ICSI! XXX

Friday, May 6th 2011, 10:06pm

How many feeds in a day at 10 weeks?

Hello,

Just looking for some advice if possible please.

DD is 10 weeks old now and is 9lb2oz. She was 6lb12 1/2 oz at birth but dropped to 6lb. She was slow to begin with to put it back on then gained 7-7 1/2 oz per week for 4 weeks in a row then the last week put on only 3oz but is still following a perfect growth curve, is feeding well and has plenty of wet/dirty nappies and is very bright and alert and Nurses/HV are happy with her.

I am BF and top her up with formula 3 times a day (she has got used to the top ups which I had to do to get her weight back up so although I've cut them down I continue a little bit).

She was feeding between 6-8 times in a 24 hour period and apart from during the night, feeding about every 2-3 hours. She usually still does this but has started to go a bit longer between feeds during the day, sometimes 4-5 hours and sometimes only feeds 5 times in a 24 hour period.

I just wondered at this stage, how many times should she be feeding in a 24 hour period? Should I ensure she feeds a minimum number of times?

Thanks in advance.

xxx

TTC 6yrs
ICSI Jul 09 OHSS :-(
FET Oct 09:BFN: :-(
FET Jan 10:BFN: :-(
ICSI Jun 10:BFP: precious DD born Feb 11 : D
FET Oct-Jan 12/13 chemical pregnancy ;(
ICSI Jul 13:BFP: :)

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Friday, May 6th 2011, 10:26pm

Hi Tiggs

Sounds like you're doing a great job, are you worried she's not feeding enough though? At this age Meg fed 7 times in 24 hours - 6am, 9.30am, 1pm, 4.30pm, 7.30pm, 11pm & 2-3am ish BUT I did the cardinal sin & didn't do on demand bf-ing and stuck to a schedule. When she was a little older she dropped the 2am feed and just last week we dropped the 11pm feed. To fit more feeds in before bedtime and to get through the 'witching hours' of the evenings when she was collicky I cluster fed a bit.

I think a HV would say she should be feeding 7-8 times in 24 hours and not to go longer than 5 hours without feeds which you're not - I'd say if she's putting on weight and is happy with you letting her have a decent time between feeds then why change what you're doing?

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "LalaZig" (May 6th 2011, 10:30pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Friday, May 6th 2011, 11:08pm

Hello and i mirror what lalazig says, sounds like you are doing a great job!! Happy baby with wet and dirty napies and gaining weight all sounds good to me, Mine were prem so a little different, At 10 weeks they were both being breast fed and formular top ups, they were every 4 hours. that was very strict but i never fed them before the 4 hours were up, so at this stage they were feeding 6 times a day. Like i say we were a little different but as you say you are happy and LO is gaining and having wet and dirty nappies, its all good. Congratulations and sounds like you have things pretty spot on xx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Tiggs

Star

• "Tiggs" started this thread

Reg: May 14th 2009

Children: Two precious baby girls thanks to ICSI! XXX

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 7:43am

Thanks very much for your replies girls, and reassurance. xxx

TTC 6yrs
ICSI Jul 09 OHSS :-(
FET Oct 09:BFN: :-(
FET Jan 10:BFN: :-(