You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 8:11am

Milk: full fat v semi skimmed

DD2 turned 2 last week :8o: We currently give both girls full fat milk to drink. We have either skimmed or semi depending on how committed I am feeling to loosing weight! I know the advice is that you can swap to semi from 2 years old but I seem to have something in the back of my head about hormones and semi skimmed milk. The advice used to be to give full fat until age 5, but it changed because of the incidence of childhood obesity. If I give them semi, am I setting them up for fertility problems in later life? Neither of them drink huge amounts of milk and its easy enough to get calcium into them in other ways, the love yogurts and cheese. Am I thinking too much?

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 8:41am

How much milk does little one drink?

My DS has milk on his breakfast and a sippy cup of milk in the evening so when he hits two I certainly won't be swapping him. He is very active, not over weight and
eat loads of other overly fatty things. If LO is the same I would give her the benefit of the full fat and just review on a regular basis.

Hope I haven't rambled too much lol

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 1:44pm

I've used semi-skimmed for DD since just before she was 2, mainly because milk tends to be the only thing she drinks (although she doesn't drink a lot of it, much less than a beaker a day). I switched because I figured she was getting enough good fats in the rest of her diet and didn't need the extra calories through full fat milk. Her calcium intake is good through yoghurts, cheese etc. I try to always buy organic (unless I run out and its a garage-run jobby!). When I was ttc I saw a nutrionist and she said that if you bought nothing else that was organic, always buy milk.

mrsjasper

Megastar

• "mrsjasper" started this thread

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Wednesday, May 11th 2011, 2:04pm

Thanks for that ladies. Gemma, she drinks about 100mls a day of milk I would think. I'm not worried about her weight, she is never still and her diet is generally pretty healthy. How much calcium does a small child actually need? I try to get 2 or three servings of dairy into them a day. Of course there are days when they have 4 or 5 and odd days when its only one. Neither of them like milky sauces which is a shame because I could eat cauliflower or macaroni cheese on a daily basis!

Interesting about the organic milk Bubble. Ours comes from the milkman and having worked in a milk bottling company, I very much doubt that its organic, however I don't want to change because it comes in refilled (not just recycled) bottles and its helping to support a local business. And its really convenient if we have loads or not much, I just leave a note out.

I think I will leave things as they are for now.