You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?
Another BFN :sadface:

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 12:47pm

Bath time at bedtime - Is it possible it can hype your baby up rather than calm then down and make them sleepy??

Well as the title suggests, my LO is 10 months and we are having a nightmare at bedtime with him…

Has anyone ever found that a bath time at bedtime makes their LO hyper when they go to bed? I know all the sleep routines i have read include a bath, but he enjpys it so much and if sleepy before the bath, seems to hype up after and when i put him in the cot.

Also, i don;t understand why at nap times int eh day he goes down for his naps with no or very little fuss and puts himself to sleep, but at night time it can take an hour and a half for him to settle and there is lots of crying etc and then we have to settle him eventually by patting him to get him to fall asleep, when he is finally ready to lie down ans stop thrashing around and moving around in the cot.

Our bedtime routine is this at the moment:
6.30 - Milk
6.45 - Bath, PJ's on…
7.00 - Story, into sleeping bag, Bedtime

I did try and change the milk to after the bath as someone suggested it might make him more sleepy (we never did this from early on as we wanted to break the sleep/eat association!) but he was just as hyper!!!

I just don;t know if this is a developmental phase that he will grow out of or if i could change something to make things easier on all of us. I get very stressed out once ive put him down to bed :O as i just can't relax until i know he is nicely asleep.

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :headache

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Reg: Jun 10th 2009

Children: Two perfect 3yr olds

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:02pm

It might be different because my two are quite a bit younger. But we do the following:

bath; massage; book; In the Night Garden (whilst drinking milk); cuddle and then bed

Emilia hates the bath and she practically hyperventilates the whole way through, so she is very alert when she gets out. Hence why we put it at the start of the routine so she gets lots of time to calm down between then and bedtime.

I have no idea if our routine is a good one, but it works for us (at the moment).

good luck with Ben, I would try a few variants and just see which one suits him best, rather than hope that ones you read in a book are right.

xx

Jannie
Aug 09 - IUI - BFN
; Oct 09 - ICSI - BFN; Jan 10 - ICSI cancelled;
DICSI in Valencia Mar10 :BFP:
Jannie's Diary
Oscar and Emilia born 8th November 2010

biggreeneyes

• "biggreeneyes" started this thread

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?
Another BFN :sadface:

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:08pm

Thanks Jannie :hugs:

I was wondering about having the bath at 6pm, then get ready for bed, play, Milk and ITNG and then book and bed….sooo difficult! We are moving in a couple of weeks too so not sure whether to just wait til then to change things - all at once.

I feel so stuck and desperate at the moment.

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :headache

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:11pm

Yes, I bath O in the morning or she has a shower with me (like this morning) If she's really filthy I give her a bath as early on in the evening as possible and then let her play it out.

In the night garden is ace. O still stops what she's doing and stares.

I also give milk before bed. Well, I give her it then she wriggles off my lap and plays a bit but this is usually about 6.30 so I know she's got a full tummy.

I don't do story before bed, we have a look at a book before she goes in her sleeping bag but generally she comes and takes me to her room when she's ready for bed.

Have you tried maybe just leaving him up to play until he's ready for bed? He may tire himself out, have a good sleep and then you can start again in the morning with the routine. I've done that before, got her pj's on and just let her play while me and DH chilled out and watched tv, she got herself tired and I took her to bed and then started again the next day.

:cuddle

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Polly Pocket

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:16pm

Hi BGE

We had a similar problem with DD1 from 9-11 months taking up to 2 hours to settle and I think it was a combination of things, light evenings being one of them. I too thought she was too hyped up after her bath so she now has 15-30 minutes playtime with her dad, sometimes she just snuggles up with him and relaxes other times she buries him in toys. After that she goes off to bed, she doesn't want a story she grabs a toy to cuddle and usually goes straight off to sleep. It took a few nights of CC and a decent black out blind to make it work for us.

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

xxx

amyeliz87

Superstar

Reg: Jul 21st 2009

Children: 2 angels watching over us & our precious DD Scarlett Leigh <3

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:37pm

I know I don't have kids, but our close friends refuse to bath there baby & toddler at night time...

My friend also said, like yourself that it just wakes them up, so they are always bathed in a morning! (I had never heard of this before then and thought it was odd because you want them to go to bed clean) :snigger:

But what works, works... Every baby is different I suppose :innocent:
April 12 - IVF - :BFP:

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

Wednesday, June 1st 2011, 1:48pm

Hi BGE,

I think you are right about it getting them hyped up but we use it to burn of that last bit of energy!!! DH gets home from work at 6pm and not long after he does that bath, and then its milk and bed by 7pm. Sometimes LO falls asleep during his bottle other times he still has bit of energy but we try and sit quitely on the sofa with him. We used to give him his last bottle upstairs but our carpets can't cope with the regular projectile vomitting, but the wooden floor downstairs can!!! :snigger:

We have a rule in our house of no sleeping after 4pm and I think this really helps with getting him off to bed as he is so tired by 7pm, somethimes earlier!!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE