You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "claire_A" started this thread
  • Germany

Reg: Nov 12th 2007

Children: Twin boys born April '10 thanks to ICSI

Tuesday, July 13th 2010, 2:50pm

Breastfeeding twins and expressing

Hope it's ok to put a new thread here.

I'm exclusively breastfeeding my twins and mostly haven't had any problems with supply, just a week or so when I didn't seem to have enough to satisfy them in the evenings. I bought a pump and bottles and always intended to express milk too, just to give me an occasional bit of freedom. I haven't quite got around to it though as not quite sure how to go about it. Obviously with twins you can't express from the 'not used' or 'less used' boob, so when is the best time to express? Does anyone have any tips (Roxy, you mentioned expressing in another thread)?. I sometimes go out for an hour on a Saturday, it would be great to not be dashing back just in case they've got hungry before expected!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP
Aug 09 ICSI :BFP:

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

Lukas and Finn were born 13/04/10 at 36w6d biggrin2
My diary

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Wednesday, July 14th 2010, 8:02pm

Hi Claire,

The only way I got around this was to give an exclusive formula feed once a day (I was bf and then topping up every feed). I had lovely family who came to babysit for a couple of hours in the afternoons so I could nap - so it made sense for this to be the feed I missed. The expressed milk I then used at night so I only had to worry about bottle feeding as it was quicker.

As time went on and we were getting out a bit more, I then started to give a couple of formula feeds and express either before I left or when I got home. It did start to get complicated though and sometimes I was really late expressing - but I managed to co-ordinate until 4 months when my supply was just naturally dwindling.

I'm so impressed that you're exclusively breast feeding L & F, what a star twinnie mama !!

:xxx3:

Moonshine

• Germany

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 5:14pm

Thanks Moonshine! I might try that, but I think first I'd like to see if I can manage without formula. For me I think the perfect time to pump would be at night, as the boys sleep quite long and I have so much milk by the time they are ready to feed that they my boobs are rock solid and the boys can't even empty them. I don't want to spend time pumping at night though, I want to sleep! You're really lucky having all that help. I was lucky that DH took almost 5 weeks off work, so by the time he went back I had got to grips with feeding (more or less). It's actually lovely feeding them at the moment as they have started occasionally smiling at and 'talking' to each other across the feeding cushion, which is just sooo cute lurve .

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

roxy7

Star

Reg: Dec 1st 2008

Children: DS born 11/06

Saturday, July 17th 2010, 7:20pm

Aww, talking to each other across the feeding pillow sounds sooooo cute!

Can I ask why you felt you didn't have enough mik to satisfy them? If they seem to be hungry a lot, it's probably just a growth spurt so sucking on your breasts, even though you might think they are "empty" serves to stimulate your milk supply and increase it to meet the needs of their increased size - pretty clever! This is why, in my opinion, introducing formula could decrease your milk supply: the babies suck on a bottle, so suck less on you, and supply potential dwindles. Have confidence in your body - it's designed to do this

I am now expressing regularly and topping up with expressed breastmilk rather than formula. Expressing takes practice. I could never manage to do it with my son but I was a bit more determined this time. You will find you have more milk at certain times of day so experiment about when it's best for you (I find late morning the best but also early evening's not bad). At first I'd try little and often at different times of day. I started by aiming for an ounce 3 times a day. You're right, you can't express off the unused boob as there isn't one so I express between feeds, I usually leave it about an hour or more after the last feed before I attempt to express. To give you an example of how this increased my supply, I could initially only get 1 oz of EBM, with a bit of practice, increased pumping and experimenting with when the time is best for me, I have sometimes expressed 5 oz and frequently manage 3 oz in one sitting (about 15 mins) which is enough to top up one baby of an evening. A problem you may encounter is a reluctance to take a bottle (I think they recommend the best time to intorduce a bottle is 3 to 4 weeks). One of mine will take a bottle but the other won't which is a problem if I ever plan to go out, although she has occasionally taken one if she's really hungry (tip: don't try to give them a bottle yourself, they'll smell your milk and want none of the plastic thing when they can have your lovely booby instead!)

I find the handpumps a bit useless and at first had a Medela Mini electric pump. I've since invested in a Medela Swing which is loads more comfortable. I'd definately recommend. (Mine was £50 off ebay)

Am very jealous of how much your babes are sleeping. Dolorez went for 5 hours last night but Eliza will only go 3 at best and would suck on my boob all night if I let her!

Do let me know how you get on. It's great to have someone to share these experiences with.

R x

Me 41, DP 42
Diagnosis PCOS and old age!
DS 11/06 (clomid)
Mm/c of natural pg 03/08
1st IVF 02/09 (ectopic)
FET 08/09 :BFP:
cs booked for 20/04/10

• Germany

Monday, July 19th 2010, 2:29pm

Thanks for your tips too Roxy, I really must give it a go. I only have a hand pump, I'll see how well it works. So far they only had formula when they were 2 days old and the hospital insisted because they had lost too much weight. The week where they must have been having a growth spurt, in the evenings they seemed to be frustrated that they had 'emptied' me, so I just fed them a bit more often and it must have been ok as then they still slept a long time before waking up. After a week my supply seemed to have increased (previous growth spurts it only took a couple of days). Last night was actually a new record, I fed them at 7.30pm, they were asleep by 8.30pm, and woke at 3.15am! My boobs were like bricks by then and rather painful :8o: . I think I'll try expressing in the morning as apart from during the night, that seems to be when my supply is best. It will be interesting to see if they will take a bottle or not, as neither really get to grips with a dummy, although they do sometimes. I'm pretty sure that I read that 6-8 weeks would be the best time to try a bottle, and as they are now almost 14 weeks, they might be too set in their ways!

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

• Germany

Monday, June 6th 2011, 2:26pm

Just spotted this in my favourites and thought I'd update. I never did get around to expressing any milk as it just seemed a faff! Well none to save for the boys, I did express a bit when the number of feeds was a bit random and I didn't want my supply to go down (and probably would have popped otherwise :snigger: ) . I can't remember exactly when, but started giving them formula and BF before bed (because I wanted to slowly reduce BF), then just formula, with any other feeds being BF, and slowly those feeds dropped out. I did my last BF just before their first birthday.

4x IUI
Mar 08 IVF BFN
Jun 08 ICSI BFN
Sep 08 ICSI BFN
Oct 08 FET BFN
Apr 09 ICSI brief BFP

Me 40, DH 38

Our dream came true,

My diary

Polly Pocket

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Monday, June 6th 2011, 8:33pm

Well done! You should be really proud of your self, it can be tough enough BF one. You really are an inspiration to other twin mummies wanting to BF.

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13