You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Shelley10" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 1st 2010

Children: 1st ICSI - Perfect baby boy born 2011, 2nd ICSI - BFN

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 6:48pm

How do you know.........

Hi all,

Was just wondering when you know when to do stuff?

I have all these questions going round in my head;

Should we not always rock LO to sleep in our arms?
When should we start putting him down awake?
When should LO go in his cot?
When should LO be in his own room of a night time?
Should he sleep during the day so much?
At the mo, at his night time feed (around 9pm) I go up with him so that I can go to sleep after he drops off to sleep, DH wants me to start putting him up stairs at about 7pm and come back down (having the monitor to listen to him up there) - I think its too early to do this - what do you think?
LO usually sleeps from about 9pm round to 2.30am, when should I try and get him to last through the night or is this a silly thing to worry about and that he'll do it when his ready?

Does a c-section belly ever lose the 'fold'?
My scar has got allot of hard tissue round it, is this common?
I really want to start exercising to try to get rid of the extra stone and a half I have, my friends do jazzercise and i'd love to give it a go. When do you think it would be safe to try?

Sorry for all these questions!! Thought it best to get them out of my head!

Any thoughts would be brill xxxx

Thanks

Reg: Sep 21st 2009

Children: one step daughter, very proud Mummy to Maisy and Oliver

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 7:44pm

Hi Shelley Now I am by no means an expert but this is what we do

Have never rocked the twins to sleep as they will then associate sleep with that and would have had trouble putting them to 'bed' on their own

Have always put them in their cot awake as they have to learn how to settle themselves - we have been very lucky as they both do this well

Started them in the cot from day 1 - but for the first month they stayed downstairs with us and went up to bed anywhere between 10 and 12am this was a nightmare as they had no 'routine' so at 5/6 weeks I started a strict bedtime routine which I follow to a 'T' every day it consists of bath/top and tail between 6pm and 6.30pm followed by a bottle and cuddles then up to bed usually at 7pm musical nightlight on and sleep soon after, occasionally one or the other cries but its usually because they have wind!

The twins are 11 weeks old and they moved into their own room last night - I'm hoping this will help them sleep through for longer - time will tell!!! :)

Isnt the fold vile!! I hate it - I have to say food has become a bit of a hit and miss item in my house and I have lost all my prenancy weight and more - but the fold is still there, does yours feel 'numb' x

My consultant said to start swimming at 6 weeks post, I havent yet but do walk Chilli a lot so thats exercise and running around after my two!!!

Obviously every baby is different and you must do things your way and whats suits you and DH though hunny xxxx
Very happy Mummy to Maisy & Oliver - bring on the fun!

SAZZLE

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 7:53pm

Hiya,

Right, this is what we did.

LO was in a Moses basket in the living room with us until we went to bed. This lasted until about 3 or 4 months.

We just went with what she did. If she looked tired we put her down. When she was asleep we put her down.

She went in a cot at about 8 weeks because she was outgrowing the basket. She was also big enough to sleep in a gro bag.

We didn't put her in her own room until the recommended 6 months of age.

At 4 weeks old my LO was sleeping loads durin the day. For us the more she slept in the day the better she went down at night.

Your LO will be needing night feeds for a good while yet. I don't think we stopped night feeds until about 12ish weeks but that was only because she started to sleep through but if she ever woke up I would give her a feed if she asked.

Your LO is still adjusting to the outside world. The best thing I would say is listen to your LO and do what you feel is right and best for you. Every baby is different.

I don't know about the c-section stuff though. Sorry!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

• United Kingdom

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 7:55pm

Thanks Sazzle. How did you know to do this? did you just decide before they arrived?? or did you get advice from people?

Yes, my fold is numb, feels weird and looks awful!

I dont want to make a rod for my own back but want to feel comfortable with what we are doing. I dont know how he would react if we put him in his basket awake, maybe we should try it. DH wants us to move into our own room as soon as its decorated so probably within a couple of weeks - 8|

• United Kingdom

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 8:36pm

Hi Flic,

Thanks for your advice, its really appreciated. We do sometimes put LO into his bouncy chair after a feed and if i need to get on and do stuff and sometimes he just falls asleep in there which is good.

People do such different things dont they.... its hard to know what to do for the best but i suppose we will just plod along and see how we go and hopefully do the best for him and us!

xx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 8:58pm

My LO napped in her bouncy chair until she was 6 months! She started napping in her cot after that when we moved her into her own room.

We kept LO in with us until 6 months because she was still waking in the night for a feed at 3 months ad it's supposed to reduce the chance of SIDS. I did want her I longer but DH wouldn't let me!

It's also easier to feed in bed in the middle of the night rather than getting up and getting properly awake I found.

Thinking about it we didn't cuddle to sleep either. She either fell asleep during a feed and we would put her down or she would get put down cos she looked tired and was starting to fall asleep.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Reg: Sep 21st 2009

Children: one step daughter, very proud Mummy to Maisy and Oliver

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:01pm

Hi Shelley

I am a bit of a google freak so googled some of the sleep help techniques plus I have listened to the good advice from my friends who have been there and done it with their kids.

You are right to not to want to make a rod for your own back - but equally you dont want to to upset Olly with too much change all at once. So maybe look at one of the areas and work on that ie putting down 'awake' then once youve sussed that move on to the next step you want to change. I would be reluctant to put him into his own room yet. We were forced to a little bit with our two partly because Oliver wakes Maisy sometimes because hes a shuffler and moves up the cot so ends up banging heads with her!! Also they only have one night feed now at about 1am - your LO still needs 2/3 so its a bit of a faf for you to be running in and out of the bedrooms!! I say that tongue in cheek because even though my two dont get milk they still wake up - usually separatly so I was up and down like a yo yo last night - fingers crossed they 'get it' soon....

During the day They usually sleep for about 1/2 after each feed so 3 times a day and if they dont sleep they are really fussy and cry more than usual in the evening between 5 and 6pm. I can tell when they are getting tired they have a 'cry' and they rub their ears so I grab them pop a dummy in if they want it and either settle them in the travel cot (this has replaced the moses baskets) in the lounge or on the sofa (if Im going to be in the room with them)

xxxx
Very happy Mummy to Maisy & Oliver - bring on the fun!

SAZZLE

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:38pm

Hi Shelley

Probably best not to do it all the time, he's going to need to learn to settle himself at some point.

Quoted

Any time, I play it by ear with my DD2, sometimes she's happy to lay there and drift off, other times she wants to be with me so I do a mixture of both.

Quoted

The choice is yours. My DD2 sleeps in a crib in our room, she stays with us downstairs until we go to be at the moment as she is BF and cluster feeds in the evening, I'm planning on taking her upstairs earlier in the next week or so. She'll be sleeping in a cot in her own room after she's 6 months when her big sister gets a big girl bed.

Quoted

It's recommended that babies should sleep in the parents room until 6 months. DD1 was in our room until she was 10 months.

Quoted

Yes, little babies can sleep loads but you'll probably notice that he stays awake for longer periods in the next month or so.

Quoted

At the mo, at his night time feed (around 9pm) I go up with him so that I can go to sleep after he drops off to sleep, DH wants me to start putting him up stairs at about 7pm and come back down (having the monitor to listen to him up there) - I think its too early to do this - what do you think?

I think you should do what works for you, if you want to take him to bed earlier it would probably be better if you made it a gradual process rather than straight in with 2 hours earlier.

Quoted

LO usually sleeps from about 9pm round to 2.30am, when should I try and get him to last through the night or is this a silly thing to worry about and that he'll do it when his ready?

He's only one month old, he's not likely to do it for a good few months yet and some babies don't sleep through consistently until over the age of one.

Does a c-section belly ever lose the 'fold'?

Not entirely sure but I do have friends that still have that fold and numbness years after having a c-section.

Quoted

I really want to start exercising to try to get rid of the extra stone and a half I have, my friends do jazzercise and i'd love to give it a go. When do you think it would be safe to try?

The best thing to do is ask at your 6 week check up.

It sounds like you're doing a great job btw!

xxx

Angel baby April 07, Angel baby December 07, DD1 August 09, DD2 March 11, DD3 October 13

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:49pm

Hi Shelley, DH and I kept DS in the sitting room with us until we went to bed for the first 8 weeks or so. He would often be really cranky and we didn't know what was wrong with him. It turned out he was tired and didn't want to sleep in a bouncer or on our shoulder, he wanted the comfort of his moses basket in his bedroom. Did we feel like eejits when we worked this one out :snigger: We put him down awake in his basket and hoped for the best, it worked and since then he went down awake in his basket (now cot) every night. He was in his basket until 6 months as he was so small when he was born but went in the cot no problem. I slept in his room every night as I was BF and stopped sleeping there at 5 months when he went on to formula so he has been on his own since then. I have the angelcare monitor so it's total peace of mind for us. I felt terrible the first night I put him down and shut the door but I got used to it and he doesn't know any better. He didn't sleep throught the night until about 12 or 13 weeks but would wake once for a feed about 3-4. He was never a great sleeper during the day until fairly recently, it was just little cat naps here and there, especially in the car seat or pram. He's into a much better routine since he's gone on solids and has regular daytime sleeps in his cot. Hope this helps a little. As for the rest of it, just go with your own instinct, babies are all different and all families are different, go with what works best for you. Good Luck. x

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Reg: Feb 18th 2010

Monday, July 25th 2011, 4:52pm

Hi there, its really up to you as the parent, but here is what we did with our boy which worked for us.

We never really rocked sam to sleep at all.

When Sam was very little he fell asleep drinking his night time bottle, then one day he didnt, so we put him to bed whilst he was still awake.

When it looks like they are outgrowing the moses basket, or, keep hitting their arms on the sides in the night waking them up.

We put Sam in his own room as soon as he was getting big for his moses basket. We put the moses basked in the cot first for one night to get him used to it and bought a video baby monitor so I could keep an eye on him.. We got a summer zoom one which is really good because you can zoom right in.

We let him sleep in the day whenever he wanted and woke him for feeds.

I dont know how old your LO is, we started off with a bedtime of 11pm when he was a newborn and now at 8 months have got it to 7.30pm

What we have always done is for the bed time feed is not speak to LO and dim the lights and now once we put him down he stays in his cot until morning, if he needs comforting, we comfort him in his cot and do not take him out. he used to wake up about 2.30am, but, one night when he was around 3 months old the baby monitor fell off the side and landed face down on the carpet so I couldn't hear him.. I woke up at 6.30am and I felt so guilty but ever since that he slept right through. Now he sleeps 8pm - 7am.

IUI - February 2010 - :BFN:
IUI - March 2010 - :BFP: :boy:
26/11/2010 - baby Samuel born

MY DIARY

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE