You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rianon

• "rianon" started this thread

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 5:06pm

do i need breastpump when stopping breastfeeding?

Hi the title really says it all. I am just about to stop breastfeeding :bawl: so I am also giving my breastpump to a friend. Just thought i would ask before giving it away whether I would need it while stopping? I am just a bit worried that my breasts might get too full at some point.

Thanks,
Rianon

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 9:49pm

Hi Rianon, it feels so sad doesn't it when you reach the end of breast feeding?!

I mixed fed my twins and gradually reduced expressed milk feeds and replaced with more formula. My supply did dwindle naturally but even after I completely stopped I found that I needed to express a few times over the following couple of weeks.

I think this is something where everyone is different so I would definitely hang on to your pump for about a month after and see how you go.

x

Moonshine

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, July 25th 2011, 8:16am

Hi Rianon, it really depends on how often you are feeding. By the time I stopped I was only doing one feed a day and had no problems at all. But if you are going from fairly regular feeding a few times a day then its much more likely that you will get a bit of engorgement. However, pumping your milk will still stimulate your breasts to produce more, albeit less so than feeding a baby, so I think your best bet might be just to hand express enough to reduce the discomfort and your boobs should sort themselves out in a day or two. Well done on successfully breastfeeding your LO. Its so sad but also quite liberating to stop!

rianon

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 3:53pm

Hi Moonshine and MrsJasper thank you for the helpful replies. It really is sad stopping as in an ideal world I would just carry on and try for the next baby at the same time. But as we want to do ICSI there is not much choice. Little Danube is only half years old and we struggled a lot to to establish breastfeeding and now it works brilliantly but in the long term I hope a can give her more by having a sibling close in age (hehe optimistic me).

Moonshine how long did it take you to stop completely and how long after did your periods return?

MrsJasper if I hand-express a bit just to reduce the discomfort can i freeze that milk just the same for later use (assuming it will only be a small amount but still)?

Weaning off the breast is on hold now as Danube caught a nasty vomiting/diarrhea virus. I also caught it so i really doubt i would have been able to get up and prepare formula or thaw frozen breastmilk. Oh this made me remember my other question: if you stopped breastfeeding while your little one(s) still needed milk how much did you give at once? Danube is feeding quite often so i suppose i will offer her 3 max. 4 oz at a time. the formula box says to give 8 oz 4 times a day but I don't think babies can be bracketed like this. I am pretty sure if she were a formula-fed baby she would also prefer to take smaller amounts more often.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 11:38am

Rianon, how old is your baby now?

rianon

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 4:15pm

She is six month old.

Reg: Jul 3rd 2008

Children: 2 beautiful twin daughters :)

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 10:28am

Hi Rianon,

It took me a couple of weeks to stop producing milk altogether - but my circumstances were a bit different. I was solely expressing milk from 10-17weeks old and on top of that formula feeding as well, so my supply had been naturally dwindling. The only thing I noticed about stopping was sometimes I felt full and a little uncomfortable, and on a couple of occasions needed to express just to relieve the feeling. Mrs Jaspers suggestion of hand expressing is a good one - but I couldn't get the hang of that technique!

As for my periods - they are no more! I have been on the mini-pill since the twins birth, as our family is now complete.

Just see how much your LO takes to start with, mine preferred the little and often method and at six months would take between 3-5oz every 2.5-3h hours. I have known friends babies who at the same age would guzzle down a 9oz bottle, which I found astonishing!!

Hope you get over your bug

Moonshine

mrsjasper

Megastar

Monday, August 8th 2011, 7:58am

Sorry for going AWOL Rianon, busy weekend. I agree 8oz seems like a huge volume and because breast milk varies is calorie content to meet her needs, her stomach won't have been stretched the way it would had she been on formula up to this point. Between 6 months and 1 year babies need around 1 pint or 20z milk a day in addition to a varied diet of food. But you can include milk in foods in that too so if you use a bit in breakfast cereal sy, or a cheese sauce then you don't need to include it in what she drinks. When my DD1 was little, she had a combination of breast and formula milk and I tried to demand feed formula, so I would give her a bottle (Ithink the biggest one she had in one sitting was around 5-6oz. If she didn't finish a bottle, I would put it back in the fridge for up to an hour and offer it again before I threw it away. She never had a problem with drinks of different temperatures, I never warmed her milk, it was either fridge temp or room temp. Also, the HV could never grasp that I gave different amounts at different times and when she asked how much milk she had, I would give a total volume over 24 hours. What she drank roughly corresponded to the total amount recommended on the formula tin. I also made an asusmption that their recommendation was based on an 'average baby' if such a thing exists, and that it was in their interests to encourage more to be drunk rather than less! So if she had more some days and less on others, that was fine with me. Hope that helps.

rianon

Monday, August 8th 2011, 7:34pm

Hi Moonshine and Mrs Jasper, thanks for more answers! :-)

Wow Moonshine you expressed & made up formula bottles must have been really hard work! It is really heart-warming to hear (read) that you family is complete.

MrsJasper I don't think we are at the stage yet where she has proper solid food intake. She greatly enjoys mealtimes but her intake is close to zero :-) It must be difficult to grasp 2 completely new concepts of food (bottle & solids). She took to the bottle really well (it is me who feels silly to sit her on my lap with bottle in her mouth and full breasts...) and she seems quite happy to have "infinite" amount of milk supply. It is me who keeps saying ok, darling I think you might have had enough. Then she grasps the bottle and starts sucking it again. She even had 7 oz in one go but admittedly she can now go much longer so hopefully I am not overfeeding her. She is used to have quite a lot in one go during her night-time feed.

Tonight is the first night Puil is going to feed her so I have to stop foruming, go to bed and enjoy my night! :-)