You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Gilly2" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Tuesday, September 21st 2010, 3:59pm

Please help - can't get DS to poo on the toilet!

Hello everyone,

Haven't posted for quite some time, as everyone knows the time just flies by.

Anyway, need your help again ladies.

My DS has been dry since about 2yr 3 months. I still put a night time pull up on him but I'm not too worried about this, although my main concern, I can't get him to poo on the toilet.

I have been trying on and off for the past 6 months or so. He is now 3 yr & 4 months old. The last 3 days I have been getting him to sit on the toilet and he just sits there. At one point yesterday I was up and down the stairs about 20 times in an hour. It was 3 days today since he had last been and unfortunately he went in his pants twice this afternoon.

I have tried everything from rewards to buying him some roller skates and leaving them in a box and telling him when he does "poo poo" he can have his surprise. I have even tried Father Christmas will bring you baby presents if you don't go on the toilet. He gets so upset and has told me he is frightened and I just don't know why. He does suffer with constspation and I give him lactolose on a daily basis. I'm worried that stopping himself is making it worse.

Any help will be greatly received.

Gilly 2 x
Gilly Me 37, DH 38, DH low sc 1st ICSI, July 2006 OMG :BFP: Born : 26 May 2007 bab22 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Monday, October 11th 2010, 10:48pm

Hi Gilly,
I’m afraid I don’t have any advice but I’m in a similar boat and hoped you'd find comfort in knowing you’re not alone! Charlie has not had a normal bowl movement since he’s been on solids. He’s dry apart from the odd accident but will not do his poos on the potty or toilet & I don’t know what to do, I don't want to go backwards and put him back in nappies but I don't know how to get him to start using the toilet. I had weened him off movicol as we were doing alright with diet (lots of orange juice and bioactive yogurts!) but have had to increase it again hoping that if he has effortless movements he might start using the potty, do you have success on days when DS is less constipated? At the moment it just means I’m getting the most disgusting pants too many times a day. – I was called in to preschool this morning to change him which was horrible. Before the movicol he’d have a few poo free days then a day of eeking out a tiny poo 14 times a day followed by a huge painful poo. This was easier to deal with but not great for him. He says it’s too difficult and he’s not responding to bribery the way his sister did (darn). If I find a solution I’ll let you know and will keep my eye on this post. Here’s hoping our boys sort it out soon!
xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Tuesday, October 12th 2010, 11:27pm

Oh dear! It's not easy, is it! I always found prunes were great for getting more regular, softer poos. Of course, your children have to rather like prunes.Making sure they drink plenty ( water will do) will also help stop them getting constipated. Even one episode of painful bowel movements will make them try to hold it in, which then makes it worse. I remember when my dd got constipated and wouldn't go. She would say she needed, but when she sat on the toilet, she would cry and come off again. I eventually used a very small glyceryn suppository to make it easier, and told her she had to go so that there would be room in her tummy for food going in. She went, and that was the problem solved. When she needed to go she would sit on the toilet and say " I have to get the jobbie out to make room in my tummy for my dinner" :) Foods that help are prunes, rhubarb, figs, oranges,cereals with bran in them, so plenty of fibre and plenty of fluids.
Once the poo becomes softer, he'll forget about it having been painful.
Hope you both get it sorted soon.

Reg: May 3rd 2010

Children: We are still dreaming.....

Wednesday, October 13th 2010, 9:34pm

Hi Gilly

Unfortunately I dont have any children ....yet but i do work wit young children and this is very common and very frustrating for the child and parent. I have found this to happen to the children if they have had or do suffer with constipation, the child will just remeber the pain they had the last time they had a poo and will most definately try to hold it in as they can be extremely scared to use the toilet, this then becomes a habbit and like fi's mum says the best thing to do is to try and help softn the poo's and with any luck your DS will eventually learn that passing a poo os not always painful. orange juice, prunes etc lots of water really does help to soften poo's. Unfortunately through my experiences this all takes time and it is best to try not to make not sitting on the toilet a big issue as this can also prevent children from wanting to use toilet due to the amount of pressure they will be under. it is difficult but sometimes it is best not to push them into using the toilet as can end up in the child regressing altogether, it is so difficult and frustrating. also I have discovered that putting childen back in to nappies really confuses them, and you might find that they will take longer to then get back out of nappies, consistency really does pay off and lots of time, although it does just mean that you might have some amount of soiled clothes to wash. I really hope that you get on ok and that DS eventually uses the toilet x x x

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Tuesday, November 2nd 2010, 11:19pm

Hi Gilly,

Since writing I've had a mild breakthrough in understanding in that I now see that what I've seen as constipation has really been more witholding. Each time I saw him look like straining to get a poo out he was really doing his best to keep it in. Like Nic mentions I think this is more a habit with Charlie and although his poos are now soft from the movicol he still holds on to them out of habit as much as fear: I bought this book from Amazon which has helped me understand this and how to deal with it

constipation, withholding and your child by Anthony Cohn

Basically the solution is said to be, if diet changes fail, to increase the laxitive to a concentration where it is working well - ie the poo is so slippery that they can't hold onto it, and they have a daily movement, and then to stick with that concentration for a considerable length of time (could be a year or more) so that he gradually stops clenching when he feels a poo coming- which is now almost a reflex action and has, in Charlies case at least, little to do with consious fear avoidance.

This is all great in theory, I need to talk to my doctor I guess, I'll let you know how we get on! Another amazon book I bought for Charlie is ' it hurts when I poop' a story for children who are scared to use the potty by Howrd J Bennett MD. Charlie seems to like it!
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

• "Gilly2" started this thread

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Tuesday, August 16th 2011, 8:32pm

Hi everyone, thank you for your comments.

Not been on the site for a while but have had a breakthrough.

DS is now going for a poo on a daily basis, sometimes twice a day, if he does miss a day. I still can't get him to sit on the toilet, but he does sit on a little (child like) commode. It is a fisher price toilet - you put loo roll on the side so it is like a big boy's toilet.

This is a massive breakthrough as far as I am concerned, he has been going the loo since about November last year. He has said when he starts school he will sit on the big boy's toilet so I am not pushing him, will just wait and see.

Thanks again

Gilly xxx
Gilly Me 37, DH 38, DH low sc 1st ICSI, July 2006 OMG :BFP: Born : 26 May 2007 bab22 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE