You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rianon

• "rianon" started this thread

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 4:08pm

which milk to choose for a 6 month old

Hi Ladies,

I am just about to stop breastfeeding my 6 month old baby girl in order to try for a little sibling with another round of ICSI (fingers tightly crossed). I am trying to work out which milk to choose and the health visitors are not being very helpful ("you can continue to breastfeed while weaning etc."). In the end I bough a Cow and Gate 1st infant milk just because i liked the ingredients list (not sure why anymore) but there is also 2nd (for hungrier babies?) and 3rd for over 6 month olds. However this 1st pack is also suitable for older than 6 month olds. ?(

Another question is how much do I give? There is a guideline on the pack but surely all babies are different. Did you follow the amounts on the pack or did you go with your babies cues? Little Danube is still feeding very often so i suppose she doesn't take that much at once (apart from her nigh-time feed: she only wakes ones and eats loads then). So in theory she could go for longer (as she does during the night) but it seems she prefers to eat less more often. i really won't mind bringing 3-4 bottles with me when going out if that is her way. How long can you store a made-up bottle? I know there are ready made cartoons but they are just too expensive. i have also seen ladies storing water and powder separately and putting together before feed but they did it so quick it looked like magic :-) So how do i do that? My bottles don't seem suitable for that.

How important is the right temperature? What do i do if she gets hungry while walking in the park? Or do I bring 37C water in a thermos for her to make up the bottle? She is already 6 month old so i hope she won't mind whatever temperature. Do your babies mind?

Thanks for reading and replies will be much appreciated :-)
x Rianon

Fi'smum

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 14th 2009

Children: 2 dd 1978 ds 1980 And 1 gorgeous granddaughter 2010 and a handsome grandson 2012

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 1:04am

Hi Rianon,
Well done you managing exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months!
Lots of questions -
Firstly, your h/v wasn't being difficult, M/Ws and H/Vs are not allowed to recommend a particular milk. To be honest, there's not a lot of difference between the brands. C&G first is fine. All the first stage milks are easier to digest than the "hungry baby" ones as they are whey dominant rather than casein dominant (casein is the "curds" part of cow's milk and is more difficult to digest so it stays in baby's stomach for longer) There's no need to change from the one you start with - it's suitable for older babies as well.
A made up bottle will keep for 24 hours in the fridge, only about an hour at room temperature. You can take bottles of boiled water in sterilised bottles and add the milk powder when required - I think Boots sell little pots for carrying measured amounts of powder with you when you go out. As long as you have wide necked bottles it's quite easy to tip the powder in. Or you could use little plastic bags instead - might be easier to add the powder that way. Most babies don't mind if the milk is room temperature.
The guideline amounts are calculated as 2 1/2 ozs per lb that baby weighs in 24 hours. So if you divide the total by the number of feeds in 24 hours, that will give you an idea of how much to offer. She probably takes different amounts at each feed now, so maybe some bottle feeds will be more than others. It's only a guide, your baby knows when she's hungry and when her tummy's full, so be guided by her.
I think I've answered all your questions, but can I just say you need to substitute one feed, then wait a few days before substituting another, and so on until you've changed them all, otherwise you may find your breasts become engorged and painful. Do you have to stop completely before starting tx? If not, then you might want to keep the morning and bedtime breastfeeds.
Good luck with the tx.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Fi'smum" (Aug 4th 2011, 1:10am)

JENSQUI

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 8:08am

Source code

Check out the tommee tippee milk dispensers - a small plastic po5 that sits in bottle at top of neck. I found this the most convenient way to make up a bottle x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

rianon

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 10:30am

Dear Fi's mum and Jensqui, thank you for the really comprehensive reply. I just love this site and it's users! You are right HV-s can't possibly reccomend any milk type that would be wrong.

OK so here is the plan:
-start substituting one milk feed today (at home)
-check out Boots carrying pots and tomme tippe milk dispensers

Yes I do have to stop completely as otherwise my body's prolactin level would compromise treatment. Clinic would also like me to have two proper periods before treatment so fingers crossed. I'm afraid i already missed the August one but my little darling was poorly with vomiting and diarrhea.

I am now feeling really positive about it (especially as just started baby-led-weaning and Danube greatly enjoys it - so I might also let her hold her bottle to make it more fun - always supervised of course) and trying to think about the good side of things. Puil promised if Danube still wakes up during the night at 6 month old than he will do the night feeds for 2 month and than we will do it alternating week by week. That means 2 months of uninterrupted sleep! (Well if my breasts let me sleep...). I am still dreading the extra work a bit but that is just me being lazy :-)

x Rianon

Blue

MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 15th 2008

What's Up?
I need sleep!

Tuesday, August 16th 2011, 11:56am

Hi Rianon,
It works out to be about twice as expensive, but you can buy formula milk ready made up, as milk. You just snip the carton/open the bottle, and pour it into the baby's bottle and voila - you're done! We ended up doing this with our girls because it saved us so much time. We also found the baby bottles were quicker to clean (no powder, so no risk of clumps of milk). It is much less faff then using powdered formula.
To save on the expense, you could perhaps just do this for night time feeds, or when you are traveling?
B
x

My Diary
10 years, 5 cycles, and 3 beautiful children.
My family is complete :heart: :heart: :heart:

rianon

Friday, August 26th 2011, 7:04pm

Hi,

Just wanted to come back to this thread to thank you all for the helpful replies and share my experiences if anyone might be in the same situation. I ended up buying the Boots dispenser (just because it was cheaper and also I got scared from the complicated looking tommee tippee bottles). I developed my own method as well: prepairing the powder straight into the bottle while taking water in another 200 ml bottle (they originally sold elderflower drink in those 200 ml glass bottles - any excuse to buy just another one - I love elderflower). I usually measure out all the powders for next day straight after putting her to bed so I just need to grab enough of them when leaving :-) I also bought some cartons just in case but haven't tried them yet.

Night time feeds are done by Puil now :-) So it's up to him how he decides to do them. His approach is trying to encourage Danube to sleep over which goes suprisingly well! Maybe I was just too soft hearted.

rianon

Friday, August 26th 2011, 7:06pm

Wow just noticed that apart from your mentioned twins Blue you are expecting another one!!! Congratulations :-)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE