You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Debi1" started this thread
  • Algeria

Reg: Jun 21st 2008

Thursday, November 3rd 2011, 2:07pm

Bugs, bugs, bugs

DS has been going to nursery now for a couple of months and has spent more time out of it then in it - he is just picking up bug after bug after bug. He's had sickness, diarrhea, coughs, cold, chest infection, ear infection, throat infection, conjunctivitis and now today has sickness again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone else experienced this - its just a complete nightmare. Am sure work will sack me for never being there, I know I'm certainly starting to annoy them. We have no support where we live, so no one else can look after him. Its starting to make me wonder whether its worth working at all!! I hate to think of him feeling so poorly all the time.

Is this normal? I am worrying that he has a weak immune system or something.
Deb x

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Thursday, November 3rd 2011, 2:17pm

Unfortunately, it's totally normal. They seem to spend the first couple of years or nursery/playgroup with a constant snot bubble and they all get whatever's going around. The good news is that it all helps to build up their immune system.

The only thing you can do is to make sure he washes his hands well and regularly (which I'm sure you already do anyway). The other avenue would be to raise it with the nursery and ask about their hygiene policies regarding cups, beakers, bottles and dummies.

I'll ask MrsJasper to have a peep at this thread. She works as a nurse and has two little ones who are usually fighting off the latest fashionable bug.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, November 3rd 2011, 2:39pm

What Bells said. It's totally normal and there is nothing at all seriously wrong with him. Every time he gets one of these bugs, he gets antibodies to that particular one so he can't catch it again, so it will get easier as time goes by. Also, the schools have only just restarted after the holidays so there are always more bugs about at is time of year. I would talk to the nursery about their hygiene policies and be extra careful about hand washing at home. I read something once about kids who were exposed to other kids before school being at lower risk of more serious things like childhood leukaemia in later life because all the little minor viral infections prime their immune system somehow so it knows how to fight off really nasty things. Not sure what you can do about work but reassure them that it's going to get easier, or remind them that you would actually prefer it if your child wasn't ill. Stock up on tissues (its amazing how much snot a tiny nose can produce!) and calpol and don't worry.

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Saturday, November 5th 2011, 5:30pm

Hi honey,

I just wanted to say that my little boy was exactly the same when he started with his childminder. It seemed like he was permanently down with something. Now, fortunately, he gets the odd cold and sniffle like everyone else, but the days of constant illness seem to be over! Hooray! xfingers xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

GemH

Star

Reg: Nov 27th 2006

Location: Romford - Me 30. MC @ 14 wks Aug 03. 7 courses of Clomid all bfn, waiting for af to start iui when shock natural bfp. M/C 29/06/2010.Separated from ex-DH in 07/10. In a new(ish) relationship with an old friend and ttc no 2 :)

Children: George 21/11/2008 - my surprise natural bfp. Oliver 09/05/2013 - my little happy chappy

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 1:05pm

George was exactly the same but now hes really hardy and is hardly ever ill. Me on the other hand, every bug going :( x