You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Natural_Horse" started this thread

Reg: May 28th 2009

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 1:30pm

Introducing a tooth brush

Hi all,

I wondered if anyone had any tips on how to start brushing your LO's teeth? Lily now has 7 teeth (@ 9.5 months) and I know I should have started as soon as the first one popped up but to tell the truth I have put it off. So now I am trying to introduce the toothbrush and it is not going well.

I am currently just giving her the toothbrush as a play toy - hoping she will stick it in to her mouth and get used to the feel of the head of the toothbrush. She sticks it in her mouth - but the wrong end!

I put tooth paste on it and she likes the taste but as soon as the toothbrush touches her gums/teeth she pushes it away and then won't open her mouth again!

I am trying to take it slowly and low pressure, and not get stressed about it, but I am not making any progress and I have visions of rotting teeth haunting my sleep. PLEASE HELP!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 2:18pm

Apart from a lucky few I don;t think that introducing a toothbrush goes well for anyone! My advice is to just do it whatever the reaction.

The most success we had was with a brush baby toothbrush. To be honest though I just saw toothbrushing as one of those things that had to be done whether Martha liked it or not. We tried cajoling, coaxing, taking things at her pace and still she howled when it came to the actual brushing. So I figured that if she was going to cry anyway then I would just pin her down and do it without the 20 minutes lead up to the crying! For the record, she is now fine with the toohbrush so I didn't cause any long-term negative association or trauma. Once she got to about 17 months and became more interested in copying exactly what we do then tooth brushing became easier.

You'll probably find that over the next few months many things that were previously easy become a battle (being strapped into car seat, sitting in pushchair, etc,etc) so see this as a practice for exerting parental authority.

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 2:54pm

LOL - not sure if your post reassured me or scared me Jensqui - probably the latter!!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 8:24pm

What Jen said. We tried it all, shark impressions, silly songs, toothbrushes in a dozen different colours. At the end of the day, their teeth need cleaning so if you have to hold her down then you have to hold her down. Like most things in parenting, it gets easier and will be replaced by something else to worry about. We tend to let the girls do their own in the morning and then scrub them properly at bedtime cos usually there's two of us to do it. Although it's esker when they are less tired so maybe we should do it the other way round.

Thursday, October 20th 2011, 11:54am

well I have bitten the bullet and brushed her teeth last night. I waited until after her bath and before the bedtime bottle. I had her on the changing mat and literally had to put two fingers into her mouth to stop her clamping her mouth shut and tried to brush her teeth. I got about two touches of the teeth, top and bottom and then stopped. With all her head thrashing I managed to brush her nose more than her teeth and then I gave her the toothbrush to hold and she threw it across the room!

I guess I just have to stick to it now and keep it in the routine. I just hope it gets better! Or at least moreeffective!

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Thursday, October 20th 2011, 12:36pm

sounds familiar. It took two of us to begin with. one to hold her and one to open mouth and brush. One benefit of the crying whilst having teeth brushed is that the mouth is usually wide open giving good access to teeth :innocent:
and the crying stops as soon as the brushing stops, so is clearly a 'protest' wail rather than a 'distress' wail

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Friday, October 21st 2011, 9:15pm

I gave my LO a baby toothbrush before he ever had teeth and he liked to chew on it etc...and we also had a song 'brusha brusha brusha" like int eh film Grease :snigger: so wehnt he first tooth popped out nad i had to start brushing we had already had some brushing of gums etc... tooth brushing was going well until recently!! He is now 15 months and back teeth are coming theough and he is now not wanting his teeth to be brushed...but so far we still manage without TOO much fuss :rolleyes: He does think it is funny when i brush my own teeth and sing the song too :snigger:

Hope you manage to work out a good way of brushing!

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

Monday, October 24th 2011, 1:43pm

Well I won't say it is getting easier but the brushing is getting a little more effective now. DH has to pin her hands down and I shove my fingers into her mouth to force it open. She doesn't cry, just a lot of headshaking and shouting at us. At the end, DH and I play with the toothbrush, pretend to brush our own teeth with it and then hand it to her - she has stopped throwing it across the room but will not put it voluntarily in her mouth.

Stubborn child - obviously takes after me!

Reg: Feb 18th 2010

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 8:09pm

hi there, my LO is coming up to 12 months and he had his first dentist appointment about a month ago. He's got 8 teeth and the dentist said just brush them with water not toothpaste as there is plenty of floride in the water. I try and brush his teeth once a day and we sing a song when we do it. I brush mine, (well pretend to) then we do his... Sometimes he fusses but try again and usually get a little brush 3rd go at it. I then give him the brush to hold and he chomps on it. If he really is resisting then I just leave it and try again the next day.

IUI - February 2010 - :BFN:
IUI - March 2010 - :BFP: :boy:
26/11/2010 - baby Samuel born

MY DIARY

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 9:23pm

Things are getting better but Lily doesn't submit easily. At the end we give her the toothbrush to put in our mouths - she much prefers that!

Given her resistance to the toothbrush and the fact she doesn't like strangers, is there any point in her going to the dentist yet? She will just scream the place down if the dentist tries to touch her, let alone look in her mouth!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 10:00pm

Yes take her. She will never get used to it if you don't. And my dentist got ahold look in DDs mouth when she cried.
Both my girls have responded to having my brush to hold whilst I did their teeth with their own.

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 10:01pm

Hi Emz, long time no hear, have to say it had never even crossed my mind to go to a dentist just yet. Brodie has only got two teeth so I'm sure the dentist would be really disappointed :snigger: He absolutely detests anyone trying to get into his mouth and I admit that whilst I bought the toothbrush last week I haven't attempted to use it yet.

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Tuesday, November 15th 2011, 10:57pm

Hi

Hopeful H - My dentist told me that each time I attend the dentist I should bring DS with me so he gets used to going & the room & equipment. It doesn't really matter if they actually manage to see inside babies mouth or not. Dental care is free for children so next time you go take your LO along with you although you may need to take someone to look after them whilst you are in the chair.

My DS went to the dentist with me before he was one & got his sticker which he loved and we are booked in again in a couple of weeks.

My DS also goes through phases of not wanting his teeth cleaned. We have two types of brush, the rubber baby one and an infant sized normal one so if he refuses one type we try the other and he sometimes goes with this. However other times he either throws it away and won't entertain it and others after some resistance, us pretending to brush our teeth etc then he will relent and give them a brush. There is no way he lets me brush his teeth unless he is really tired or his attention is fixed on something else.

Reg: Feb 18th 2010

Wednesday, November 16th 2011, 6:26pm

hey hopeful, how you doing hun ? First week back at work this week, going well so far! Yeah Sam came with me to the dentist so just take Brodie along for your next appointment :happy:

IUI - February 2010 - :BFN:
IUI - March 2010 - :BFP: :boy:
26/11/2010 - baby Samuel born

MY DIARY