You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "spider smiles" started this thread

Reg: Feb 20th 2008

Thursday, October 16th 2008, 12:55am

New Preemie Mum

Well I've only just noticed this forum! Although, it doesn't look very well populated I'm hoping to meet someone that's been through this to chat to as my lovely boy should be discharged this week (gulp) after 4 weeks in SCBU. He was born at 30 weeks at 3.1lb and although he needed resuss and had a small brain bleed- he's gone from strength to strength and is now in a cot and doing well. I'm just so scared of bringing him home- so many things we can't do- no visitors to touch or breathe on him- keep a sterile house (I haven't even thought about what I'll do with the cat!), don;t take him out until he's a few pounds heavier. He's so tiny and delicate. How will I cope? And will we all ever have normal lives? ?( xxx
[zx160]Emma

Me 32, DH 28
Ectopic Oct 06- right tube removed
Endometriosis
First IVF cycle began 5th Feb 08
:BFP: 16th March bab11
:cuddle

Baby Gregory born 10 weeks early on September 20th. baby1

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Thursday, October 16th 2008, 7:44am

Hi Emma

My DD was born at 32+2 weeks so I'm another premmie Mum! She's now a lively 3 year old, looking forward to her sister's imminent arrival so on a positive note, it did all get better for us and we did get our normal lives back!

I was terrified of bringing E home - I was nervous about being a new mum anyway but the additional worries of E being early and consequent health issues scared the pants off me! So those feelings are totally normal!

But we coped and so will you. You just do because your baby needs you to.

I can't type much as I have rotten carpal tunnel and I'm not on line for a few days as I'm having a caesarean tomorrow but I'll be back on line next week - please pm me if you want a chat. Happy to talk about anything!

Also, have you found the BLISS website - loads of info and mums in a similar position. Can't remember the web address but it'll come up if you google it!

Lots of love to you and baby gregory.

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Thursday, October 16th 2008, 3:45pm

Hi Emma

My twins were born at 33 weeks weighing 3'8 and 5'12. The smaller one was fine just very little but the bigger one needed a lot of help to begin with and was quite poorly for a while.

When we brought them home it was very scary but they are so much tougher than you think .... about 2 weeks after I caught my XH making up their bottles with tap water - I couldn't believe my eyes and he had been making them up like that since we got home - berk!!!

Anyway they are now strapping 15 year olds and are eating me out of house and home!! :D

Loads of luck with little Gregory xxx

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Thursday, October 16th 2008, 3:59pm

My cousins little girl was born at 31 weeks weighing 1lb 12 ozs.

She is now approaching her 8th birthday on Saturday.

My cousin was a new mum and like any new mum its just things we have to learn- you just have a few more things to learn.

But your little one will let you know what he needs and I know your DH will be there to help.

And knowing you em you will cope- you always do.

Good luck bringing him home and can't wait for pics.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Friday, October 17th 2008, 10:45pm

Well hello,
My two also Prem not that you think to look at them now :smile: Tlook more sumo then prem now :snigger:
Your nerves are natural I think even if your baby is not prem its still scary to be sent home alone with a baby. At least before you drive a can you get lessons & a test :innocent:
But fear not because what ever you come up against we can listen and offer advice :D
As for the sterile stuff I was just told a few simple tips - Things like when you have guests ask them to take coats off and leave in the hall, stay away from supermarkets and enclosed crowded places for a while more peeps more germs. Kids in school uniforms are a high risk as they pick up and pass on germs like a game of pass the parcel.
I wasnt into having visitors for the 1st few weeks anyway I wanted some us time and as being in SC most visitors understand :happy:
You will be on to of the world when you all come home it will all just slot in and as for the normal - I'll get back to you on that in 16 odd years :D x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Sunday, October 19th 2008, 10:49am

Hi! Congrattulations!
My Ds was born at 30+1, and weighed 31b 6oz, but lost lots of weight and at his lowest ebb weighed just 21b 8oz. He had a 5 weeks in the NNU, but now is a thriving, tantruming but hillarious 3 year old.
It's hard having a prem baby- if you need any advice then ask away.
x

Reg: Apr 4th 2008

Children: 1 son conceived naturally(no idea how) 1 m/c april 6th 2010:(

Sunday, October 19th 2008, 12:25pm

my niece was born at 28 weeks weighing only 1lb 3oz. she was delivered by emergency c section as my sil had to have regular scans becasue she has syfillis (sp), good job she had the extra scans because she didnt have enough water around her l/o so wehn she was born she was only the size of a 26 week old. she is now 10 months old and weighs about 11 pound. the only problem is that her tummy cant cope with gluten and certain foods (happens to some full term babies too) but apart from that she is a beautiful healthy little girl.
wish you loads of luck spider and enjoy being a mummy :hugs:
:jilly:
ttc since july 2007.
5 x clomid no ov :(
april 08 to march 09 3stone 4lb lost
1 m/c april 2010 :(
our ttx journey has ended

Lexie

Star

• "Lexie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, October 29th 2008, 9:41pm

Hi SS

My twins were born at 33+1 weighing in at 4lb 8 amd 3lb 13 and spent two weeks in SCBU. They were tube fed and were on the heated mattresses but apart from having to both spend time under the lights for jaundice, both came on fine and are now big, happy, healthy 7 month olds.

I also panicked when I got them home and made all the visitors wash their hands and remove their outdoor coats and I didnt allow children for the first week or so. I also didnt take mine out for the first few weeks and this was a killer as I hated being stuck in all day and night but you do get through it.

Good luck hun and try not to worry. Like Rae says, babies are tougher than you think. At least you have the warmth over there, its bloody minus here :snigger:
Me 34,DH, 32. DD15 from prev relationship. Scan 9/07 showed 2 [zx076] [zx076] My perfect little ladies arrived healthy 7 weeks early on 18/3/08 weighing 4lb 8 and 3lb13...Love my three pinkies

:girl: :girl: :girl:

Reg: Oct 2nd 2007

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 8:17pm

Hey matey

AM in the same boat, but Eric is a while off coming home yet, am yet to get him breastfeeding, is one step forward and one step back as he does a session but it tires him out so much I think it prob does more harm than good at the moment????

Have sent you my MSN email, do keep in touch and let me know how it goes....

Am living day by day at the moment and in constant fear something else will go wrong.

Scan for his PDA heart murmer tomorrow, so fingers x'd it isnt too bad..........

C

xxxxxx
Cathie

Proud mum to Eric after 3 years TCC!!!

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 10:28pm

Good luck for tomorrow Cathie Hope all is well with Eric's scan x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Thursday, October 30th 2008, 11:01pm

Good luck Cathie.

Sending all my love to you and eric.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Friday, October 31st 2008, 4:17pm

Cathie - my eldest had a hole in his heart as well.... he would go blue over his whole body when he screamed!

however, it closed naturally after 7 months old, so even if the scan still shows it now, it can easily close on its own in a few more months.

Dora

Reg: Feb 12th 2009

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 1:33pm

I work on a neonatal unit, we always tell our parents to treat their babies as normal babies because if they wernt ready to go home we would not be letting them go. We encourage parents to take their babies out for walks whilst they are still on the unit, that way when they go home they are not frightened to take their babies out, or to have visiters round.

esha

Star

Reg: Sep 16th 2008

Children: 2 boys and awaiting 3rd baby

Saturday, August 14th 2010, 5:36pm

my son was born last yr he was 5lb and wen thru alot, i understand about th eclena house not letting i near the baby for a while, but it's hard and intime everything will be fine, you need to be determined thats all.
"There is NO such thing as failure, just deferred success"

My Son was born on 16/08/09 weighing at 5lbs

Baby Esha's Diary

taxihome

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 20th 2011, 2:06pm

Reserecting as I am a new premmie mummy......AGAIN!

DD born at 30 +1 weighing a dainty 2LB 9.

xxx

[zx071]
2 x man boys -MC,Ectopic IVF x 4 Natural BFP/Born sleeping 22/WksRIP LO
Jan/11:ICSI:BFP: bab21 [zx115] Our dream has finally come true
MY DIARY

Reg: May 12th 2007

Sunday, August 21st 2011, 8:44pm

Hi Taxihome

My twins were born in January at 34+2. Emilia weighed 3lb 1oz and Taylor weighed 4lb 3ozs. They spent 16days in NICU. I had Heart Failure after the birth and it was a very traumatic time as I wasn't well enough to visit them as I was in Coronary Care. They used to wheel them up to see me in their incubator each day for just 10minutes. After 5 days I could get down to see them in a wheel chair but could only manage an hour a day. I was petrified bringing them home as I was still so ill myself, petrified to handle and change them as they were so fragile and petrified of them catching any bugs so kept visitors to a minimum those first few weeks. Now 29weeks on they are little fatties and doing fantastic. The only health problems they've had is horrendous colic with Emilia up to 16wks and reflux with both which they still suffer with. Its hard to imagine now they were so small. I like to get their first babygrows out from time to time cause I really have forgotten already how diddy they were. :happy:

IUI-Mar07 / IVF-Jul07 / FET-Jan08 / IVF-May09 - ALL BFN
IVF-Jun10 - :BFP:

taxihome

United Kingdom

Monday, August 22nd 2011, 11:44pm

:wave: Wow Geordie you certainly went through the mill.
I am expecting Amelia to be in SCBU till about 36 weeks gestation.
Time flies though eh.
Sounds like your twins are thriving now hon. :xxx3:

[zx071]
MY DIARY

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 8:44pm

I hope the time goes quickly for you. Six weeks is a long time. I hope she is doing okay. 2lb 9oz is so diddy but a good weight for her gestation. How you coping hun? It must be an emotional time for you! Big hugs to you all xxxx

taxihome

United Kingdom

Wednesday, August 24th 2011, 11:30pm

Hey Geordie.

We are coping quite well really. The milk pumping is going pants and the cost in petrol and parking is a stretch, but other than that we are doing ok. The worst is over now that she is off the ventilator and safe. The emotional ride has steadied and we are actualy enjoying her now rather than worrying to death. Its tiring going up every day(not that being PG or having a newborn to deal with isnt) and devastating leaving her but it is and will be worth it in the end. She is so adorable and we are so very in love with her.
I think she is small for dates but they said average. There are some bigger ones there but as the docs said, its not the fat that matters its the organs.
We are petrified getting her home but i have done it ll before. Eldest son was a week earlier than her at 29 weeks. He is now a 6ft soldier and a daddy himself.
Its weird as we tried for a baby in our 20's and it took till I was 40 to get her. An auntie before she was even born.
Was it hard when your twins came home?
Xx

[zx071]
MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Thursday, August 25th 2011, 12:07am

My twin girls were born at 33 weeks weighing 3 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 4ozs. They were in worse shape than they should have been for their weights and gestation due to the negligence of my consultant who diagnosed consipation rather than early labour so I was not given steroids before their birth. Issie spent a week on a ventilator in ICU before she was strong enough to breath on her own and they both spent 3 weeks in SCBU. When I think about it now I feel quite distressed about what my girls went through and incredibly angry because it could have been avoided. I don't feel able to have their newborn pictures on display as with all the tubes and apparatus they are just a reminder of that awful time but they were still beautiful.

Before the girls were born I had no real intention of breast feeding - I said I'd give it a go to keep DH happy - but when the girls were in SCBU expressing milk was all I could really do for them. Thinking back I remember crying over the 2 drops of collostrum that I produced on day 1 and saying that it was ridiculous that I was expected to feed 2 babies with that! I was
quite disciplined about it and for the first couple of weeks I expressed 3 hourly round the clock to simulate feeding my babies. The girls were nil by mouth for the first couple of days and tube fed with EBM right from the start. Because they were taking such teeny amounts I had enough milk for them both and managed to build up a huge supply of 80 feeds in my freezer the time they came home.

The first year was difficult and not without it's health issues as Issie had a further episode of respiratory distress at 9 months with a 2 week hospital stay. She also had a serious milk and soya allergy which made feeding and weaning all the more challenging.

It has taken me a long time to shake off the feeling that the girls had somehow been damaged by their premature birth and I found myself constantly looking for signs of a problem. I think I am just about over that now and I have two beautiful, happy, healthy little girls who have made my world complete. Every day they give reason to remember how lucky I am to have them.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

taxihome

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 12:40am

Newly Wed - Blimey, what a story and what a shame the whole thing happened so unnecessarily.
Sounds like the girls had a fight on their hands. Bless them. I hope Issie is over the worse now.
xxx

[zx071]
MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 11:21am

They are fine now. Just had their breakfast in Starbucks and then entertained an entire shopping centre with their squeals of delight when I put them on one of the rides for the first time. Now Issie is chatting away to herself next door rather than having a nap like her sister.

I hope Mimi continues to do as well as she has been doing. She looks a total sweetie in the pics you have posted.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

United Kingdom

Saturday, August 27th 2011, 11:22am

It might be worth checking whether the SCBU can give you a parking permit to save on the costs.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

Kaz23

Reg: Mar 17th 2010

Children: 3 year old daughter, her twin brother is our little angel watching over us

Sunday, August 28th 2011, 2:02pm

I didn't realise that there was a preemie forum here. Hi to everyone!

I went into labour at 24+2 in December. Our little boy weighed 1lb 6 3/4 oz and our little girl was 1lb 5 1/2oz. Our little boy passed away after 90 minutes, our brave little soldier wasn't taking in the oxygen. We spent the next 18 weeks in various neonatal units as our little girl underwent heart surgery and other procedures. We finally took her home in May and she weighed 5lb 13oz. We had another stay in hospital when she got RSV in June and we were away for 11 days with her. Since then she has gone from strength to strength and last week weighed 14lb 14oz! She truly is our little miracle. I had no idea what went on in a neonatal unit, it's a whole other world in there!

Me 38 DH 40
TTC 3 years Diagnosis: unexplained
1st IVF July 2010: :BFP:

December 2010: Twins born at 24+2, DS passed away shortly afterwards, DD fought a hard battle and after 4 months in neonatal came home.
February 2013 FET: :BFN:
August 2013 IVF : :BFN:
August 2014 IVF: :BFP:

Reg: Nov 30th 2009

Children: twin boys

Monday, September 5th 2011, 11:25am

Hello everyone,

I am glad this post has come alive again, being a premmie mum is something that does not get a lot of exposure and I agree you do not realise what it is all about until you are thrust in to that world.

I hope my story will give you hope and support, I gave birth to my twin boys at 28+2 by emergency section after going in to spontanious labour. It was unbelievably scary, Oscar 2.2lb was stuck and born blue (not breathing) so was ventilated,Zack 2.9lb was a little better but later deteriorated and also needed ventilation. They soon came off ventilation though but needed CPAP breathing support for around 9 weeks. We were in the unit for 11 weeks and things were very up and down with the boys seeming to take 2 steps forward then 1 back, all to do with breathing and feeding issues.

However throughout this time I expressed and the boys only had EBM for the first months of thier lives, they came home with the feeding tubes and were breastfed, I managed to exclusivley breasfeed for a few months then went to combinationa and now the boys are on formula and we have been weaning for the last few weeks which they are taking to really well, they are nearly 8 months now.

It is unbelievably difficult to go through this and believe me I have had moments when I did not think I could cope, but you do and I thihnk my boys are extra special little fighters!!!

If anyone would like to PM me for a chat or to ask any questions, please feel free

Lots of love, Shell xxx
TTC for no 1 for 3 years
ICSI Dec '09 - 1 egg collected - did not fertilise.
ICSI no 2 July '10 - BFP! Oscar 2.2lb and Zack 2.9lb born 17.1.11 - 12 weeks early, tiny but perfect xxx

Kaz23

Children: 3 year old daughter, her twin brother is our little angel watching over us

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 11:52am

Hi Lolashell

Think I remember you from July Jivers last year? Can't believe how much has happened in a year!

:xxx3:

Me 38 DH 40

December 2010: Twins born at 24+2, DS passed away shortly afterwards, DD fought a hard battle and after 4 months in neonatal came home.

Saturday, October 1st 2011, 11:12pm

Big Hugs to everyone. Everyones stories on here are both so sad and so heartwarming!!

I know the events surrounding the birth of our preemies are traumatic and I've had some difficulty coming to terms with the events of this year but have finally been having some councelling which has made a remarkable difference. I knew I was starting to heal when I found myself no longer crying when I looked at my photos and have finally been able to put some out in some frames. I couldnt recommend it highly enough if anyone is still hurting.

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 10:00am

Welcome Elliot and Holly

Hi All,

My little ones, Elliot and Holly, entered the world on 16 October 2011 at 26 weeks exactly! They weighed just over 2lb and went straight to NICU at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. They are both now off ventilator and on CPAP - hoping this is a good sign. They are having light therapy for jaundice but we have been told this is normal. They are not having any extra oxygen or pressures and are doing well on CPAP. Holly sometimes forgets to breathe but, again, they tell me this is quite normal at this stage.

Any other preemie mums?

Hayley
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 18th 2011, 11:00am

Hey Hayley!!

It sounds like Holly and Elliot are doing brilliantly. My girls were born at 33 weeks and one had to be ventilated for almost a week because of underdeveloped lungs as I did not have steroids before they arrived. You wouldn't know it to look at her now as she is like the Duracell Bunny and never runs out of energy! So xfingers H and E will be fine and my money is on you having them home in time for Christmas. How amazing would that be?????

I don't know whether you want to try to breast feed, but if that is something you are keen on then my top tip is to express regularly (every 3 hours during the day and at least once during the night) to stimulate your milk supply. Go for the Medela double electric breast pump which is fantastic. H & E won't be able to suckle for a few weeks yet but they can still receive breast milk through a nasal/gastric tube. They only need tiny quantities to begin with so don't worry if you don't have much for the next few days but eventually you should be able to produce enough for both of them with spare for the freezer. I had 80+ bottles frozen when my girls were discharged from SCBU. If you feel that you have enough on your plate without worrying about breast feeding then don't even give it a second thought. I gave up at 10 weeks and the girls did just as well on formula.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions. At the time my girls were in NICU and the SCBU it all seemed like a complete blurr but I can remember every detail now.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Wednesday, October 26th 2011, 1:26pm

Hayley, it sounds like they're doing really well - congratulations! My daughter Elizabeth was born at 29+3 and we were in NNU for 6 weeks and she made nice steady progress. If they are coping well with CPAP they are well on their way.

Platinum x

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 1:11pm

Hi and thanks for your messages! Holly had to go back on ventilation as they think she has got tired. Not sure for how long.....is that normal? Elliot had to have a lumber puncture but results were all normal. Both are suffering from apnea and desat at times. Had skin to skin with Elliot yesterday......just gorgeous. Never thought I could love so much xxx
3 X ICSI

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 6:27pm

I'm no expert but I'm sure it probably is normal that Holly is back on the ventilator. The fact that they were able to go on CPAP so quickly in the first place is amazing in itself given how early they were. I hope they are going from strength to strength. It's lovely to get an update and I have been looking out for one.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

taxihome

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 27th 2011, 8:17pm

Hi Hay

Dont worry hon. Its all fine. Mimi was born a lot later than H & E at 30 weeks 1 day so your babies are extra weeny and young. They are doing awesome for such tots. You must be so proud. Have you had Kangaroo care yet?
Are you getting extra emotional? I did as it is so so draining taking each day as it comes.

Wait till they can wear clothes. Just to let you know you can often get petite clothes from Mamas and papas in the sale section & their are some great little internet sites. I have some tweeny girlie clothes if you like. It can cost silly money see & they are in them for a blink of an eye.
Happy to send them to you if you want them. I know some peeps are funny about seconds but they cost so much.
Anyhoo kisses to the twins. All 4 of you are doing superbly.

[zx071]
MY DIARY

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Friday, October 28th 2011, 1:30pm

Hayley, it's definitely quite common for them to get tired and regress briefly. I remember when Elizabeth came off the ventilator they said she might need to go back on it, and similarly when she came off CPAP. Your two are still very tiny and every step is a major one. Great that Elliot's lumbar puncture result was clear, and congrats on giving him his first cuddle. It's amazing, isn't it? And particularly amazing how much good it will have done him - skin-to-skin contact has so many benefits for both baby and mother.

Do keep us posted on how you all get on. It brings a (happy) tear to my eye just thinking about our time with Elizabeth in NNU.

TTC#1 since Dec 06, PCOS
IVF#1 2009 - 3xSET (blasts) - 3xBFN
IgG cardiolipins and Lupus antibodies, MTHFR heterozygous
IVF#2 2010 - 2 blasts, BFP 1/6/10, secondary OHSS
[zx076] 18/6/10 at 6+4!
On Metformin 4x500mg, Clexane 80mg, Aspirin 75mg, B12 3x50mcg
Gestational diabetes (diet controlled)
Elizabeth born prematurely on 25/11/10 at 29+3, weighing 3lbs

taxihome

United Kingdom

Friday, October 28th 2011, 4:17pm

I am such a Div. I see you have had skin to skin (Kangaroo Care.
Its awesome.
xx

[zx071]
MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 22nd 2008

Children: 2 Beautiful Babies. One of Each!

Friday, October 28th 2011, 6:28pm

Hello Hayley and huge congratulations on your small but wonderful arrivals!! Tried to write on your diary but seems i am not allowed, have been following your story for a long time, having been offline for a long time i was astonded to hear your wonderful news.
My Prince and Princess were born at 29 weeks and you would never know it now!!!

Evie and Rian were ventilated for 24 hours then cpap for a further 24 hours, Evie never had to go back on to it oxygen again yet Rian was known for 'lazy breathing, he very often forgot to breathe, more like too lazy lol,' He was on oxygen for 5 weeks in total, sometimes very low and other times a lot of it was required, Evie was allowed out for cuddles twice a day but often Rian was not allowed cuddles for days on end due to his de sats, but as he gained weight he slowly but surely got stronger, they put him on his tummy a lot which helped keep oxygen levels up the only down side to this is his ears had to be untucked often and he ended up with a very narrow head which the doctors nicknamed 'mr wheatabix head' but once home his head changed to a normal shape again. Also he often suffered from reflux which in turn made him hold his breath and drop oxygen levels and heart rate. Like I say he was on oxygen a total of 5 weeks.

Evie had suspected meningits and too had to have a lumbar puncture but that was all clear, she also was suspected to have a bloodclot on her brain but agaon turned out to be false alarm, she picked up MRSA on two occasions but this is just carried on the skin and has no concern (1 in 3 of us carry the MRSA virus on our skin so I am told). She also had huge problems with the ability to digest the fortifier which was put in the milk to help her grow but once fortifier removed although only on breast milk growth was very very slow but she got there in the end,

We had lots of skin to skin with Evie but like I say Rian was not allowed out much, I finally got a cuddle with them both at the same time at 3 weeks and 3 days.

Sorry for such a long post but all of these things are very typical premmie things to do, they seem to like to keep Mummy and Daddy very much on their toes and cause hiccups along the way to scare us.

I was told not to expect my Prince and Princess home before their due date however at 36 weeks we brought them both home together. I was told that 36 weeks is a very tough week for preemies and they often are tired and overstimulated by 36 weeks and often can take a step back, but again a preemie trick to play on Mummy and Daddy. We came home when Rian was 5lb and Evie was 4lb exactly which is what we were waiting for as Worthing wont let them home until they are 4lb and over.

Sorry again for the long post, just wanted to say that it is a wonderful but tough time and again huge congratulations to you all, big hugs on your road to taking your gorgeous miracles home xxx
bab15 bab16 Sa-Leanne xx

Kaz23

Monday, October 31st 2011, 3:47pm

Hayley, our little girl was born at 24+2, she spent 55 days on the ventilator, the first attempt on CPAP she lasted 10 hours before getting tired and going back onto ventilator, a couple of days later they tried again but she just lasted 4 hours, we reckon she was still tired from her first attempt! Third time lucky she got onto CPAP and was on that for 25 days, then onto flow (nasal prongs) for 4 days but got tired so back onto CPAP for another week, then back onto flow for 25 days and then came off oxygen entirely! A lot of ups and downs, getting our hopes up and then getting upset when she got tired and took a step back, a lot of tears shed but we got there in the end! Much love to you, hang in there!xx

Me 38 DH 40

Reg: Jul 13th 2010

Children: Our beautiful little IVF baby, Daisy Olive, born 12 weeks premature

Wednesday, December 14th 2011, 9:32am

Hi Kaz23

I remember you from the July Jivers last year too - I also had bub early, 28 weeks. She is doing very well now and is at home off oxygen and all drugs. She has just been diagnosed with SQCP. How is your lil one doing? Does she have any lasting difficulties.

Its funny isn't it, when you are going thru the who nicu thing you feel like you are on the outside looking in... I feel so so lucky to have Daisy even though she does have problems, she is just the most amazing lil girl in the world.

I can see you haven't been on here for a while but I am hoping to be able to talk to some people who are going through the same thing

Love Lu
Lulabella
TTC 4 years
IVF, ICSI Jul 10 - BFP Daisy Olive, born 12 weeks early, has quadriplegic cerebral palsy - is absolutely gorgeous! x
FET Dec 11 - 2 frosties back on board
1 snow baby left on ice for another day xx

:xxx3: :goodluck: :xxx3:

taxihome

United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 14th 2011, 9:10pm

Wow some really beautiful and some really sad stories here. It really makes you think doesnt it!

The only mental scars i bare are missing out on the late stages of pregnancy. The furthest I have ever been to is 35 weeks, with help. I so wanted to do it right this time. I am still envious of heavily PG women, whom always say, your not missing much! I guess i will never know.
Also that first weekend when she was very sick with an unknown infection. I thought she would die.

Still i am one of the lucky ones. I have a beautiful daughter to show for it. Some are less fortunate.
I hope this thread continues on as there have been a few premmies recently.
Xxx

[zx071]
MY DIARY

Kaz23

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 5:51am

Hi Lullabella

Khloe is doing well. She managed to come home without oxygen, was just on some drugs but off them now. As far as we know she has no lasting difficulties. She is a year old today, hard to believe. it's a day of mixed emotions as it is also a year since we had to say goodbye to her twin brother Lachlan.

We spent 4 months in the neonatal unit. it is another world in there. I must admit looking back at Khloe's photos, especially the ones early on I get very emotional and it brings back alot of feelings, not all good, a lot of the time we were very scared.

xxx

Me 38 DH 40

Reg: Jul 13th 2010

Children: Our beautiful little IVF baby, Daisy Olive, born 12 weeks premature

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 7:57pm

Wow Kaz - your babies were born really early! I thought Dais at 28 wks was pretty early! It is very sad that one of your twins didn't make it but amazing that your little girl has come through it all with no problems at all! Daisy's limbs are very tight but the physio is helping a lot. She one in Feb but is quite behind with her development. how is your little girl developing?
Lulabella
TTC 4 years
IVF, ICSI Jul 10 - BFP Daisy Olive, born 12 weeks early, has quadriplegic cerebral palsy - is absolutely gorgeous! x
FET Dec 11 - 2 frosties back on board
1 snow baby left on ice for another day xx

:xxx3: :goodluck: :xxx3:

Kaz23

Tuesday, March 27th 2012, 3:39pm

Hi Lulabella

Sorry not on here all that often. Khloe doing really well, rolling about, and in the first stages of trying to crawl! She got the all clear from her hearing test last week so it's nice to know that's one more lot of Drs we don't need to see. How is daisy?

Me 38 DH 40

Reg: Jun 13th 2011

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 9:59am

Is anyone still here?

Hi ladies I was wondering if any of you know a. Area for ladies who are threatened to come early ? I'm on bed rest as at 26+6 With my twin girls .i was demanding to be checked as no one listened and I am 2cm dilated with bulging membranes I've now managed 4 weeks and feel like a time bomb ready to go off !! Just wondered if there any support on here , or why and how u ladies went into labour? I'm so worried I'm Gunna miss something and not get to hospital in time there quite big on scans and I'm quiet tiny worrying there Gunna run out of room , they told me I won't make 34 weeks as its a miracle I got here .any advice be fab thank you cxxx
ttc 5 years
x6clomid:BFN:
aug ivf :BFN:
jan ivf :BFP:

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 10:50am

Hi Herts

Well done for holding on for the past 4 weeks. You are entering a relatively safe period for deliery want the time you have been on bed rest will have made a massive difference to your LOs development and I'm sure that they will be absolutely fine. I had my LOs unexpectedly at 33 weeks and they had a few breathing difficulties to begin with but are now beautiful, energetic, funny, kind demanding 2 year old little girls and you would never know that they were premature.

I assume that you have been given steroids to assist your LOs lung development in anticipation of them coming early?? If not, you must definitely insist upon it!!

Very best of luck. And once your LOs do arrive, try not to worry too much and enjoy them as much as you can.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Newly Wed" (Sep 12th 2012, 10:51am)

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 9:09pm

Hi there,

My twins came at 25 weeks. We found that my cervix had shortened at about 20 weeks and had an emergency stitch put in place. I was immediately admitted to hospital and put on bed rest in the ante natal ward.

Please do message me as we were in NICU for 5 weeks and then SCBU for two months and I would love to help you out.

Well done for getting to 26 plus!!!

h
3 X ICSI

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 9:13pm

I didn't want to message you on here as having babies this early is not easy.....I think it's difficult for people to understand sometimes the difference between 26 and, say, 35 weeks gestation. There are big differences - my two were fortunate to come through it alive, however, it was a very long and terrifying road to get them home. You need to concentrate first on getting as far along in your pregnancy as possible. The chances of survival for extremely premature babies increase from 50% by 3% each day after 24 weeks (so the experts at Addenbrookes tell me) so you are doing really well.

PLEASE DO MESSAGE ME!

hx
3 X ICSI

United Kingdom

Wednesday, September 12th 2012, 11:48pm

Hayley - Herts is now at 31 weeks which is great news with the odds improving every day!
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

United Kingdom

Friday, September 14th 2012, 9:34am

That's amazing news - chances are so good now that things will be all good x
3 X ICSI

Kaz23

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 1:38pm

Hi, just wondering if anyone stills uses this thread and how everyone is doing?

Me 38 DH 40

United Kingdom

Wednesday, August 21st 2013, 5:51pm

My premies are now at the stage of rolling their eyes whilst calling me "mother".....3 going on 13! I hope everyone else is well.
Newly Wed

ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE