You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Jasper" started this thread

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 5:40pm

Moving from bottles to cups for milk

DS is 17 months now and I had planned to stop him having milk from a bottle months ago but each time I tried we failed! I became paranoid about his lack of milk intake so gave in and went back to botltes! He has been having 8oz morning and night from a bottle for months now but will only take an ounce or two from a sippy cup. He cried this morning when he saw the milk was in a cup rather than bottle :bawl: I tried taking the lid off and holding the cup for him to sip and he had a bit more but as we have to be out the door just after 7am in the week I know we just won't have time for this. Any ideas or tips?

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 8:05pm

Oh Jasper, I feel your pain! I am still BFing F and having a hell of a job moving on from it. However, I have succeeded with milk from a cup in the morning, it just took time. Although F still won't drink a full feed from a cup, she has some in the cup and the rest on her cereals (I am giving her cow's milk). I leave the cup lying about in the morning too so she can help herself and I don't give her any water at breakfast so she doesn't have a choice about what she has to drink. My sister had trouble too, she moved my nephew onto a cup for all but the bedtime feed and decided that when the bottle broke that would be it and luckily he was fairly accepting of a cup a night after a couple of days.

We both use one of those Tommee Tippee leak proof sippy cups, at least there is no mess with them!

I am also quite worried about the lack of milk intake for Freya but she loves natural yoghurt and gets a big blob of it on her cereals as well as milk just to be sure she is getting enough calcium in the morning. I had a friend who recently announced that her now ten year old would never drink milk from a bottle or cup so she just gave her more yoghurts and cheese etc and she is non the worse for it.

Hope this helps a bit, at the very least you are not alone!

:goodluck:

xxxx

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 9:30pm

What sort of cup are you using? My LO prefers the tommies tippee cups with the soft siliconey teat rather than the hard ones. And straws are a hit too.

We got rid of the bottle by accident. O was poorly and had blisters in her tongue and couldn't drink warm milk from the bottle but could drink it cold through a straw as it missed the sore bit on her tongue. I have not used a bottle or warm milk since! Once Er sore tongue went I started again with the cup.

The straw is a really good way to get them to drink. If they see you drinking milk through a straw chances are they'll want a go too!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Monday, January 9th 2012, 3:51pm

It's funny you mention cold milk Flic as I give cold milk to Freya - I am convinced she prefers it! Funny aren't they!

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, January 9th 2012, 5:04pm

Oh yes. I've had O trying to drink my brew this morning. She starts with 'Brew, brew, bit, bit.' Then when I've finished she pretends to fill it up with her kettle and she drinks it!

Monday, January 9th 2012, 6:24pm

I was using the basic hard plastic sippy cups that are free flowing, now I am trying a Sainsburys own cup that has a silcone spout and it isn't free flowing. Each time he has a bit more and I have been giving him even more dairy products than usual throughout the day. Last night hed had veg with loads of cheese sauce!!! Tonight there were no tears when he saw the cup so thats progress. He has a couple of different cups but I am now always using the same one as I wonder if somethimes he was expecting wather that he usually has in the cups and got a surprise when it was milk. I might try the straw trick, although I will have to drink something else as I can't stand milk!!!!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, January 9th 2012, 6:37pm

I have a different cup for milk and a different one for water.

Tuesday, January 10th 2012, 7:35am

Having different cups definitely seems to work, aftter a couple of days he already knows that the blue cup is for milk! Luckily he has a big appetite and has 2 weetabix for brekkie which soaks up alot of milk!

Wednesday, January 11th 2012, 6:55pm

happydance Yay he just drank a whole beaker of milk before bed!!!!

Flic

Italy Poland

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, January 11th 2012, 7:02pm

happydance

Thats great news!

Reg: May 28th 2009

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 1:29pm

Hi ladies - I am just embarking on this battle. I tried and failed over Christmas and gave up but am going to start again tomorrow - gulp!

My LO refused to drink out of a sippy cup if it had milk in it, then refused all drinks during the day from a sippy cup! Finally only would drink from the bottle. So not only was I paranoid that no milk was being drunk, but no liquid of any sort as well.

I am sure what I did wrong was that I quickly caved and would, after 30 minutes of trying, would put the milk back in a bottle.

From tomorrow the bottle goes. Milk served in a sippy cup and if refused, then continue to offer it throughout the day until at least half is gone. Plus all snacks will be either yoghurt or cheese.

I am going to have a sippy cup for night as well. I want her to not get confused by one rule in the morning and one in the evening. Hopefully by then she might be thirsty enough just to give in.

My major concern is that she won't drink at all, won't fall asleep or stop slepping through.

Wish me luck and patience everyone!

Thursday, January 12th 2012, 6:45pm

Good luck NH! We seem to have cracked it. Like you I kept giving in, its so strange that they love milk but not from a cup!!! We were struggling time was but DS has taken the cup with him to childminders and nursery a couple of mornings to give hime time to finish it. Let us know how you get on.

Friday, January 13th 2012, 8:57pm

Now I don't want to jinx it but today was a non event. Morning started off with Lily taking half a cup worth over the course of an hour. Then we went to toddler group with a filled up sippy cup of milk and she drank the lot! Tonight she drank a half cup with very little complaint. Also drank about 20+ oz of water today as well - seemed like a sippy cup was constantly in her hand.

xfingers that this is the start of something good and not something painful! perhaps my failed attempt over Christmas actually sunk in?

Thursday, January 19th 2012, 4:40pm

Hi ladies,

Well it’s been a week of having the milk in a sippy cup and after a weekend of success, it has all gone a bit downhill.

I started last Friday as I have that day off work and Lily does drink a whole cup (9oz) but never in one sitting.

In the evening she would have about 3/4 of a cup.

But this week, she goes to a childminders when I go to work and mornings are always a little rushed and I don’t have time to make sure she drinks it all. So each morning she has been drinking less and less and the cup gets packed with her and then the childminder continues to offer it until about lunch time. By this time the milk has to be thrown out and she gets juice/water instead.

During the evenings the battle continues and she is drinking less and less.

Today she only drank an ounce before the childminder’s and then none while there. We talked about maybe changing cups and seeing if that worked.

*sigh*

Tomorrow I’ll be back to battling all day with her and I will win (I’m stubborn that way) and by the end of the weekend, I think things will be a little better. But for weekdays, I think I am going to have to supply the childminder with milk, so that she can replenish when she has to throw it out and to make it clear to not change cups. She already has a cup for milk (the normal non spill cups with handles) and a cup with a straw for water/juice. I know she drinks well from both and I know she drinks milk well from a bottle. So I am just going to battle on and make sure the childminder battles on with me.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Friday, January 20th 2012, 7:33pm

Well done for keeping going NH, tough isn't it!!! I tried a couple of times when my LO was a similar age but gave up! I think the reason it worked this time is that I tried not to stress about his milk intake as I knew he was getting plenty as part of snacks and meals. If he wanted to put his cup down and wander off I let him, initially I was trying to make him sit on the sofa and drink it all, as thats what he always did with bottles. We have the same rush in the morning, which does make it more difficult. Let us know how it goes over the weekend. Good luck!

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, January 20th 2012, 8:02pm

This is such a tough one. My LOs hardly drink anything during the day as they have still not got the hang of sippy cups but they still enjoy their morning and bedtime bottles. I'm planning to go cold turkey next week when the cow cups I've ordered arrive.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Friday, January 20th 2012, 8:33pm

Hi - today was okay actually. The morning sippy cup was drunk but only after having to take it to our toddler group. I also restricted the liquid in late afternoon to try and make sure she was thirsty. Then the evening cup took 30 minutes but she drank it all! Just hoping for consistency now...

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE