You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Cheryl" started this thread

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Monday, February 20th 2012, 12:41pm

Potty Training Advice Please

Hi All,

Wondered if anyone can help. My little boy is 2yrs and 2mths old. He has started taking his nappy off when he needs to go to the loo and does it wherever he is! He doesnt give me any warning, just starts shouting after the event. I've tried asking him if he needs to go to the loo periodically and have even put the potty in the living room where he plays but unless I physically put him on it when he actually needs to go he doesnt use it. It seems like I only have to nip into the kitchen or something and he does it. Its hard because I work full time so cant invest a huge amount of time into it. He does it in bed as well, twice yesterday (start and finish of his afternoon nap) he took his nappy off and poo'd in his bed then screamed through the monitor afterwards. I'm gettin really frustrated by it and just dont know what to do but i'm sick of cleaning up poo! He doesnt go at set times during the day, he can go once or 5 times a day, I guess depending on what he eats (he's very much like his mummy in that respect!). I have tried putting him in underpants but he does the same. I never shout at him for it, but try and explain (as best you can to a 2 year old) that he either needs to do it in his nappy or ask to go to the loo but its just not working. Help anyone???

Thanks,

Cheryl
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Monday, February 20th 2012, 1:12pm

Hi Cheryl,

Im sorry to hear you have this challenge! I might not be very helpful as we began potty training when my son was 8 months old, by the 13 months didn't use nappies and didn't have accidents... So I just can tell you from my little experience... We used to put potty next to him wherever he would be (except bed of course!!!), I would put him on a potty every 15-30 minutes throuout the day,would sit next to him and try to make noises like kids usually do when pee or poo... he just gets used to it, you have to be very consistent, otherwise you don't seem like you mean business (for the child at least!), would do it before sleep and first thing after, would put alarm clock for myself to wake up in the night and put him on potty (he can still be sleeping) - then he knows - you mean business!!! No screamming, yelling, hitting or any of those horrible stuff!!! As your DS older, usually when kids are about two years old they do understand things like consequences really well, so would use this as a tool too. It shouldnt be anything hash but like sitting for 2 minutes on the naughty chair without any toys could play the trick! But whatever you do you need to be consistent then your kiddo will see - his mummy means business!!
Hope it helps, didn't want to sound rude or offend or anything like that, I do appologize if I did!!!
All the best!
TTC since Nov.2009
2011 clomid 6x :BFN:
2011 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle 2x :BFN:
Feb.2012 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle :BFP:
6w+2 seen a lovely [zx076]

12w+5 everything looks perfect, measured 66mm OTD 4th of Nov.

It's baby7 arrived on 15.10.2012

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, February 20th 2012, 4:43pm

Hello,

My LO is 2 this week and I don't intend to start potty training until she tells me she wants to use the toilet. I don't see the point in making work for myself and making my LO sit on the loo every so often if she doesn't need to go. They need to learn how to control their bladders and learn when THEY need to go, not when you think they might. 8 months is very very young to start potty training and it isn't advised in the UK to start until they're about 2 or something. Plus I really don't want to have to go through potty training for 5 months!

Your situation is a tough one though as he's taking his nappy off!

Is he taking his trousers/bottoms off before he gets to the nappy? Is there any way you can catch him at this point and sit him down/point his bits in the potty?

If he's announcing it after he's done it and taking the time to take his nappy off then it seems that he does know whats coming. What about pull ups? They might be a bit different to get off than a nappy.

Is he in nursery during the day? I would also speak to them and tell them what is happening and tell them you want to start potty training. They should be supportive and may be able to give some good advice too.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Monday, February 20th 2012, 4:52pm

Hey, check out this thread

potty training, when ???

Good stuff in here!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
2 :balloons:

Monday, February 20th 2012, 4:55pm

I agree with Flic, you really have to wait until they are ready, not the other way around, that can also cause problems later on. DD got it just after Christmas, she is 2 and 7 months now. I have had a potty in her room, one in the sitting room and a loo seat since she was 2, she quite liked sitting on it and reading a book together for a few months. I always put her on it when she wakes and when she goes to bed. Then eventually she did a wee, then nothing for ages, then a few, then nothing...then when she started to use them a bit more I put her in pull ups and then proper pants. I still put a nappy on at night but it is always dry in the morning. There was no great pattern to it tbh, I thought we weren't nearly there yet and then she just got it.

Yours is a bit different though, perhaps as Flic says try pull ups (though I have to say it won't take him long to work out, the velcro is easier than the nappies), have you tried a little insentive for him not to take it off. Reward chart, sticker etc. one thing I didn't do was keep asking if she needed to go, they say they then just get into the habit of saying no, even if they need to really.

Good luck hon, sorry that is mainly waffle and not much help xxxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN :-(
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN :bawl:
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Tuesday, February 21st 2012, 10:49am

Hello ladies

I kind of agry with each of you and I do understand your point of view especially if potty training isn't advised in the uk before 2 years old!! That's so different everywhere!!! It is advised here to train as soon as possible especially boys as they recon that using nappies warms their man's stuff and can lead to the problems when they want their own children...so I suppose we all do what is advised.. And then as from 2 years old kids go to school over here in France so they expect them to be trained already. I can't say i put him every 15-30 minutes for 5 months on potty. Did from the beginning, sometimes he would do, sometimes not, but I would learn average time in between (which wasn't usually the same!) and he would learn to control his bladder as he would understand that place to pee or poo is a potty, then I would put him less and less often. I do agree it's kind of a nightmare from the beginning but all worth it at the end :)

I just read this thread to my mother in law (she is from the uk and raised her 3 children in the uk) and she said, that when she moved over here many things in parenting are so different to what it is in the uk. And I suppose there is no right or wrong, you do what you feel is the best for you :)

All the best and good luck :) sorry if I wasnt helpful, wasn't my intention :)
TTC since Nov.2009

• "Cheryl" started this thread

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Tuesday, February 21st 2012, 1:02pm

Thank you all for your replies, found bits helpful from each of you and I agree, everyone has their own take on things and things def different between countries.

I was planning to do the same as you Flic, was happy for things to evolve naturally, but he seems to have sent us spinning in a different direction. He seems ready in some respects (taking the nappy off) then not in others but hey ho i'll get there! Sorry I know I used the term nappies but he is in pullups (I just call them all nappies!). He manages to pull his nappy and trousers off in one very quick movement - if he's there in front of me I'll catch him in the act and take him to the potty but he has a nack of doing it when i've popped into the kitchen or the toilet! Someone has told me to put a proper nappy on backwards when he goes for his nap and he should find it hard getting it off! I think I need to be a little more pro-active with this and i'm going to get him a sticker chart for when he uses the potty/toilet. He does go to nursery Monday to Thursday and they do put him on the potty but its hit or miss whether he'll use it. He does use the toilet on a Friday because he's with his auntie and she also looks after her 3 year old grandson who is fully potty trained - he likes to copy him bless him. Anyway i'm sure its going to be a messy couple of weeks, Milton at the ready lol.

Thanks again xx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Tuesday, February 21st 2012, 2:04pm

Aww Cheryl, bless him :)
From what you are saying it sounds like you are doing everything possible and you defo on right direction!!! Maybe just being a bit more consistent bcs he defo knows when he wants for a pee or poo :) I remember sticker charts worked for us (for other things) really well bcs he could see kind of praise and reward!! Sure you will get there :)
TTC since Nov.2009

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Sunday, March 18th 2012, 11:34pm

hi,
my son is 20 months & has been trainin himself the last 2 wks. but potty has sat in living room since he was born. & like urs he can get his,trousers & nappy off which can be stressful at night. this wont work 4 everybody but ive found that if I put his babygro on bkwards, he (at moment) cant get it off & his bed stays dry.
incidentally how do u stop a nearly 2 yr old climbing to heights exceeding 4 ft & he shows no fear?? just laughs at me when im tellin him to get down or struggling to get him down
anyhow, hope that helps in some small way
xxx

**FZ TEAM NOTE: Please refrain from using text speak as per our T&Cs**
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE