You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

• "Grace" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 8:42pm

Skin condition, any ideas?

So poor old L has some kind of skin problem on his head that won't go away. It started as good old cradle cap at about a month old but escalated over a period of 3 months to be something far more severe. Like cradle cap it's characterised by his scalp being covered in thick yellow scales but his now his scalp, forehead, cheeks and chin are also bright red, bumpy, inflamed and very, very itchy. We've been back and forth to the drs and have had 3 types of emoliant, 2 different shampoos, steroid cream, antibiotic cream and a fungal cream and nothing has worked. We are currently waiting on a referral to a dermatologist which is taking forever. The GP still thinks it's cradle cap (well one of them thinks it's excema which she seems to attribute to any skin condition you show her as she misdiagnosed J with it when he was a baby), I'm not so sure. Ever day I gently remove the scales by combing his hair (being careful not to scratch his skin), if I then wait a minute and put a piece of tissue on his head the tissue will quickly turn see through he is producing so much fluid from his scalp, you can actually see it beading on his skin and it continues to do this until the scales reform (currently it takes 24 hours for them to completely cover his head in scales a couple of mils thick). If I don't remove the scales each day they quickly build up and crack which potentially allows bacteria in as they are so squishy. Currently he goes to bed with the scales removed, hair washed in t'gel shampoo, antibacterial cream on his cheeks and emoliant all over his face and scalp (so I end up covered in it too and he attracts hair like nothing else and looks a little like a tumbleweed by the end of the night) and having taken an antihystamine which is supposed to help with the itching.

This morning I got him up and he'd scratched so much that his scratch mitts were red with blood where he'd actually managed to break the skin throught them. Unsurprisingly he's also waking up every 1.5 to 2 hours and has been for the last month at least, which is killing me, which I think is because he's so itchy. His little face looks so sore and I feel so sorry for him, he's normally such a happy chap but it has got noticably worse in the last couple of weeks and his demeanour has taken a sharp downturn (unsurprisingly as he's not sleeping as well and is very itchy).

Anyone had anything like this or have any ideas?

Polly Pocket

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 9:18pm

It sounds horrendous, poor little L. :(

I've not had anything that bad with either of our girls, Olive's cradle cap was tough to get rid of and Nancy's eczema wouldn't respond to conventional creams. Olive oil sorted out Olive's cradle cap but I am certain you've been there and done that, Nancy's eczema went completely when I put rescue remedy cream on here after reading one of the other girls here used it and said it worked for her son. I'm not sure if that is something you'd like to try or if it's recommended to use on babies so young, it does say it's for the whole family and Nancy was about 1 when I first tried it on her.

I hope you find something that works, so you can both get some sleep.

xxx

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, February 26th 2012, 7:19am

Oh Grace. What a nightmare for you both.

I had read that cradle cap can cover the face but was quite rare. But then I thought cradle cap didn't weep which is what it's doing.

I'm seeing my SIL later (she's a paediatric nurse). I'll ask her if she has any idea.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

• United Kingdom

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Sunday, February 26th 2012, 7:17pm

Thanks guys, it seems a little better this week which I suspect is the antibiotic cream but it's still itchy. When bfding I'm constantly having to remove his hands from his hair as they wander up there, seemingly of their own accord, and go scratch, scratch, scratch in time to his sucking!

1st IVF/ICSI April 09 BFP

GRACE'S DIARY

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, February 26th 2012, 7:50pm

Could it be a mixture of both cradle cap and eczema?

That may explain the itching?

Poor L.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

jodiedoo

Ireland

Reg: Mar 20th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
All's great here

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 10:58pm

Hi
My LO scalp was like that also. I also tried every shampoo on the market but found that they actually made his scalp worse. So I went back to basics and only used Aqueous cream to wash his scalp and to moisturise it. I also used hydrocortisone ointment twice daily. I needed a script for the ointment I found it brilliant and the hydrocortisone cream just didn't work at all. Now he still get patches on his scalp and I go back to using the hydrocortisone twice daily. I keep moisturiser on his scalp also so the poor child looks greasy but at least he isn't tearing the scalp off himself. My LO gets the red angry rash in his ears still but its very manageable now.
Hope this helps xxx
TTC 10 years..... Me 41 Dh 48 Jodie's ICSI Diary

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 7:13pm

I did have hydrocortisone cream for a while Jodie but it stopped working after a while and seemed to make it worse! I was reluctant to try the stronger solution.

Well it's much better, turns out that if I stopped using the shampoo as directed (apply, leave for several minutes, rinse and repeat) and instead use it as a regular shampoo (lather, rinse no repeat) it got on top of the cradle cap! I am suspicious that the rash on his face is an allergy to something but it's narrowing down what it is, he's developed areas of rash in his groin and on the backs of his knees now (not in the crease as you'd expect with excema but on the skin where his little fat legs meet when bent above and below the crease). Anyhow thanks for all the advice I shall see how it goes and keep my fingers crossed it goes away.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:23pm

I know that this probably sounds far too simple to have been overlooked and far too insignificant to matter but have you looked at the washing powder you use?

My dd2 had skin underneath her fingernails and blood running down her legs from scratching. We used prescription creams, aqueous cream, bath additives and bandaging over the space of a couple of months and although the rashes would go down they never went away. My Dad has contact dermatitis and told me to chuck out my washing powder/fabric softener and use Surecare washing powder on its own. Blow me, her rashes went away almost overnight!

I always bang on about washing powder when anyone has an itchy/rashy baby but some of those babies have been completely cured by the change so forgive me for banging on here : D

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 7:04pm

Hi Bells, yes it was the first thing I considered, I even tried washing his clothes with bio-balls (so the dribble and poo stains remained) but it made no difference :( Nice thinking though, the GPs didn't ask me that question once!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, March 2nd 2012, 10:24am

Yes, you would think it would be the first thing they asked. There seems to be a thing about fixing symptoms without discovering causes!

Have you tried oats in the bathwater? (in a pair of tights or muslin bag.... not suggesting that you turn your bathtub into a giant bowl of porridge!!). The 'milk' that comes off the oats is soothing and moisturising.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Thursday, March 22nd 2012, 5:45pm

Hey Grace

How is your little man's skin now?

I was talking to my sister the other day as my nephew's skin is pretty sensitive and she's been through loads of different creams from the doctor. She's now using a natural product from Boots called 'Calendular' (sp?) and it's cleared his skin up more or less completely. It's not cheap but she won't use anything else now. Just thought I'd let you know in case it's any good to you. It's in a yellow tube and is just over £7.00 a bottle.

I've just bought some for F as she's got some dry blotches at the mo and I thought I'd give it a go.

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Grace

Involuntary insomniac

• United Kingdom

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 7:36pm

Hi Bells, I've not tried oats so I shall see if that makes any difference.

Hi Gracie, we had an appointment with a dermatologist and he diagnosed severe exema (a combination of types). I got some different cream to use twice a day and then reduce the frequency which worked until i reduced the frequency when it just came straight back - not quite as bad but still sore looking. I'm due back in about 4 weeks so we'll see where we go from there. I'll see if I can find this cream you mention and give it a whirl as it can't do any harm.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Sunday, March 25th 2012, 8:36pm

Aw, poor little man.

I think my sister said there's a bath wash of it too. Keep us posted!

Me - 39 AMH 1.79, DH - 43
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance