• Ireland

Reg: Mar 20th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
All's great here

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:19pm

Refuses to drink milk at 6 months!

Can anybody please please help me!!
I just don't know what to do with my 6 month old son. He's gone off his bottles completely since he's starting weaning. I've tried everything giving him a bottle before his food, putting it into a beaker (he loves water from a beaker). The only way I can get a bottle into him is if he's asleep and even that doesn't always work. He drank 7oz yesterday thats it and he was asleep for both feeds! I've now resorted to putting scoops of milk into his food and getting him to drink the water from his beaker. I'm also trying to make up the recommended 18oz by giving him yogurts but even at that I'm only getting 15oz into him daily. I worry he isn't getting enough nutrients.
He hasn't lost any weight but hasn't gained any for a month and a half but he has grown in length. My mam and sis tell me not to worry but how can I not? I even tried him with cows milk yesterday to see if it was the taste and he didn't want that either.
Any suggestions or similar stories with the child ending up healthy and normal would be greatly appreciated as I don't know what else to do.
TTC 10 years..... Me 41 Dh 48 Jodie's ICSI Diary

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:35pm

Jodie I don't have any experience of this personally but I can imagine how worried you are.

Several years back my neighbours lo went off her milk too (at about 8 months) and never went back on. She wouldn't drink cows milk either. They tried different brand of formulas and moving up to follow on etc etc but nothing worked. They spoke with their gp and public health nurse and she was given some kind of vitamin to make up for the lack of milk. Sorry I can't tell you any more as they have moved away and we didn't keep in touch, it's just something I vaguely remember.

The good news is Casey is growing even if he's not putting on weight, I hope you get a few more answers that might help from someone who's been through similar. x

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

jodiedoo

• "jodiedoo" started this thread
  • Ireland

What's Up?
All's great here

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:42pm

Thanks HH
I've spoken to my GP (my uncle) and he says not to worry that C is a happy healthy baby and just make sure he doesn't become dehydrated so give him lots of water. I see my uncle weekly as my nana lives with him. Problem is he was drinking a few oz from each bottle but now he screams the house down if I try to give it to him. So yesterday he drank 2 bottles one at 7am 4 1/2 oz and 4pm 2 1/2 oz after a walk and was asleep, he would not let another bottle touch his lips for the rest of the day.

I'm just getting so stressed out about it and taking it out on DH.

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:48pm

Hello :)

I know 100% what are you feeling about your DS refusing milk!! I have absolutely the same story! My son totallu refused milk when he was 6 months old (it began when he was 4months old), he wouldn't eat even yogurts!!! I was taking him to old kind of clinics to check if everything is alright with him..because he also used to drink loads of water during the day and night!.....doctors wouldn't find any anomalies in his development, except he was a little bit bellow the average weight...I suggest you not to worry!!! I know easy said...the best answer we had is "it's just his personality and his own needs, give him this vitamins (sorry don't remember the name) and concentrate on foods that he likes!" so he had chicken soup, mashy potatoes, fish (careful with this one), fruits and vegetables puree, fresh juices, liver and things like that (just whatever new you give him, begin from low dose to check for alergic reactions). Btw my son is 11 years old now, still doesn't take any! dairy products, absolutely healthy and his weight is of the average 11 year old!

I wish you all the best and the last thing you can do is worry about it!
TTC since Nov.2009
2011 clomid 6x :BFN:
2011 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle 2x :BFN:
Feb.2012 clomid,gonal,ovitrelle :BFP:
6w+2 seen a lovely [zx076]

12w+5 everything looks perfect, measured 66mm OTD 4th of Nov.

It's baby7 arrived on 15.10.2012

jodiedoo

• Ireland

What's Up?
All's great here

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:54pm

Oh thank you so much for that reply L. My mam keeps saying the same. He started to go off milk at 4 months too the minute I introduced food that was the start of it. My mam also says I did the same but at least I'd drink the milk from the beaker.

Reg: May 28th 2009

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 3:09pm

I might be a little controversial in suggesting this but perhaps you might want to take the hard line and offer only milk as a drink (in a bottle or sippy cup) until he drinks 'enough'. I only say this because maybe he isn't drinking it because he is not hungry or thirsty if you give him lots of food and water during the day?

I went through a slightly similar experience recently when my 12 month old refused milk from a sippy cup, but would drink it from a bottle, and only water/juice from a sippy cup. I just stuck to my guns (as I wanted her to stop using bottles) and only offered the milk in a sippy cup until she drank it. No water/juice was given until a whole sippy cup was drunk.

I won't lie, it's a battle and I was on the look out for dehydration, but it thankfully never came to that and she eventually started to drink more and more (because she experienced thirst for the first time!), and after a few weeks, drinks the recommended amount (or more), as well as having plenty of other fluids in the day.

Ultimately, as mummy, you know best. If having milk/formula is the most important thing to you, then it's a battle worth fighting. If you are happy with alternative methods, then go for them. I don't want you to think that my way is the right way, only that my suggestion is just another method to perhaps consider.

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 4:01pm

Oh crumbs, what a worry. I had a devil of a time getting my daughter off the breast and onto cows milk. Not the same thing really but she is now drinking a reasonable amount a day - it took well over a month of coxing though. Now she has gone off yoghurt too and I worry about her calcium intake.

Anyway, sorry, I can't offer any advice as it's not the same problem but I can let you know which vitamin I am giving Freya. It's a liquid vitamin called Wellbaby, Boots sell it, although I had to order mine online as they don't always seem to have it on the shelf. It doesn't have any calcium in it but it is the only one I can find that has iron in it which is why I chose it.

Hope that helps a little bit and that things get easier for you soon.

xxxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

jodiedoo

• Ireland

What's Up?
All's great here

Saturday, February 11th 2012, 10:39pm

Hi and thanks girls for your replies

2 days ago I tried C with a follow on milk and guess what!!?? He's starting to drink his bottles again :faint: Mind you he's now given up yogurts [zx103] Now this could be a lucky streak but I am hoping and praying that this is the one he likes and will continue to drink this.
He has over the past few weeks had very dry nappies and red areas on his bum so I would imagine he has become dehydrated. I've also bought a vitamin called Abidec, I'm not sure if its available in the UK it's also sold in Boots. C is just so headstrong even tonight I was giving him his tea which usually is a yogurt and some fruit compote, well he refused point blank. I thought maybe he's so full after drinking his bottle but decided to experiment a little with him and make up some banana bedtime cereal. Well he ate the lot!!! Was grabbing at my both my hands cause I couldn't get it into his mouth quick enough!! He loves the jars of food and isn't so keen on what I cook for him :8o:
I've made an appointment with a pediatrician for the 21st of Feb.
Who knew babies we're so complicated and I thought the hard work was getting pregnant :snigger:

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, February 14th 2012, 5:44pm

Sorry to but in here. I'm currently in the middle of some treatment involving my bone strength and as a result I'm learning a lot about calcium intake. My daughters both pretty much gave up milk at around the age of two and although they have yoghurts, cheese and the usual stuff, we're ALL now being advised to drink a pint of skimmed milk every day on top of the stuff we're already having. :faint:

It's been a battle to even drink the stuff myself (I'm resorting to milk shake syrup :O ) but I've found out how important it is to get calcium into our bodies to protect my (female) children now against osteoporosis in their later life.

So, while that sounds frightening, the silver lining is that calcium is vital BUT, more importantly, vitamin D is absolutely crucial in the absorption of calcium.

In brief, if you have a child who isn't having a great deal of calcium giving foods and drinks and you're not winning the battle, the best thing you can do is to find out about an age appropriate vitamin D supplement as this will optimise the absorption of 'any' calcium in the diet.

Reg: Oct 6th 2009

Children: One daughter born Feb '11

Wednesday, February 15th 2012, 4:56pm

my LO did this at around the same age - turned out she had an ear infection.

jodiedoo

• Ireland

What's Up?
All's great here

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 6:37pm

Thanks Bells and Emma

Bells over here (Ireland) it's recommended that babies get 10iu of Vit D drops every day until the reach the age of 1. So C has been getting his drops from a few weeks old. Is it recommended in the UK? That's good to know about it aiding absorption. I never thought of that. : D
Emma I've had Casey's ear's and throat checked out and it's all come back clear. He's just not fussed X(

Since I've last posted he's gone back to his 'I'm not to fussed on milk again' !! Although he is defo drinking a bit more with less of a fight. I try to make it fun (making noises as I put teat in and out of his mouth!) so as a result he gargles the milk whilst giggling and rolls the teat around his tongue but drinks 3oz's so I don't care :snigger:
I'm keeping my app to see the pediatrician for the 21st.
Thanks for your comments girls, they really do help [zx127]

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Monday, March 19th 2012, 1:18pm

hi jodie

my middle son stopped taking any form of milk from 6 months on. no breast or formula. up until he was a yr his staple calcium intake was fromage frais. by the time he was 7 months old the bottle had gone completely. i was worried but my hv told me as long as i was getting yoghurts & stuff like that down him, he would be fine. i tried milkshakes nesquik horlicks the lot, but no chance. in the end i gave up battling with him and now 3 yrs on, he thinks nothing of downing a pint of strawbery milkshake. sees it as a real treat. i think in my sons case it was a battle of wills, even at that thender age. and when i thought do you know im sick of fighting with you over this and started relaxing my attitude towards milk, so did he and then he started asking for milkshakes.

my youngest has gone off milk now. but loves his yoghurts and i havent started a milk war with him, so hopefully, in couple of months he'll see milkshakes as a treat again, just like my middle son. i do offer him some milk occasionally, but when he turns his nose up, i give it to middle son and give youngest a juice. i figure all the while im laidback and easygoing, so he will be. if im uptight and stressed then so will he be.

i hope you figure a way forward that is good for both of you. hopefully, he will come round to milk again and this is just a phase he going through.

xx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

jodiedoo

• Ireland

What's Up?
All's great here

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 1:44am

Thanks Jade
Well I'm kinda relaxing a bit more lol! I was buying organic yogurts which didn't taste very nice and it was a battle to get him to eat tbh cause I thought there was too much sugar in the petit filous. Well now I'm off the opinion that too much sugar or not if he eats it it's 2oz!!!
Sorry have to cut post short as C is crying xxx