You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Snoopy30

• "Snoopy30" started this thread

Reg: Jan 13th 2010

Children: 1 beautiful daughter, Chloe Faye

What's Up?
Loving being a mummy to my beautiful baby girl

Tuesday, April 24th 2012, 9:22pm

Considering a holiday abroad with a 8 month old

Hey everyone

My dh & I are currently considering taking our daughter abroad in September when she will be 8 months. We are considering Majorca as it will only be a short flight.

We obviously have to consider things like sterlisers, pushchair, nappies, milk etc, & I just wondered if any of you have had experience taking a baby abroad & can offer any advice, unless of course you think we are mad so negatives are also welcome! Ha!!!

Thanking you muchly

x

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 9:54am

Hi Snoops, can't believe your lo is 8 months already! I think there's a thread somewhere on this but here's my own views.

I travelled with ds abroad twice last year, both portugal, first time he was 5 months second time he was 10 months. All airlines allow you to carry a buggy free of charge. We took our own formula first time as we weren't sure we could get it but the supermarkets were well stocked. Second time however we couldn't get aptamil, only cow and gate so you might have to take your own if your lo won't take anything else. Also if you take a couple of pre-made cartons for the first day until you find your feet it's a big help.

Nappies are widely available, we use pampers and could get them everywhere, we took enough of our own for a couple of days just incase. We took the microwave steriliser bags for our bottles. They were great and took up no room. I think you can get them most places, tesco, mothercare etc, you just have to make sure your hotel or apartment has a microwave, sometimes you can pay to have one in your room.

Majorca in september will probably be hot so you might find a sunshade for the buggy a good idea. We had one and it was spf 50 and kept the sun totally off ds. We also took a couple of old cotton pillowcases that we laid lo on in the buggy, it kept him nice and cool instead of lying on the buggy fabric which can make them sweat.

You can also get jars of food easily but as I never used those I just took ellas kitchen sachets, they did weigh a bit but overall it was worth it to know ds was eating properly. The second time he was eating a lot of things the same as us so we didn't bother taking food. Also make sure you have lots of snacks, fruit, rice cakes etc for travelling, just incase of delay it's handy to be prepared.

Also take a change of clothes in your hand luggage, even just a babygro, handy if you have projectile vomit on the plane which we had on one occasion!

Hope this helps, honestly it's probably easier travelling with dd now before she starts to get really active. Enjoy! x

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 5:18pm

Hiya,

I would absolutely agree with the last sentence that hopeful wrote. Do it while she's little, it's easy in comparison to a spirited and defiant toddler! We have been abroad with William four times now (he's just over 2) and it gets harder and harder each time!!!

We took sterilising tablets to save space and borrowed a big bowl from the hotel which we kept all his teats, bottles, dummies and whatnots in - always clean, always handy. We used disposable bottles for travelling and just chucked them when we were done. If your LO needs a dummy, secure it - we had an exhausted William in meltdown after he threw his dummy on the floor out of reach and we were all buckled in for landing. Airport security varies from airport to airport in how strict they are, but worst case scenario is you have to open and taste 50% of all baby meals and cartons of milk - although I'm guessing your daughter's a bit young for that to impact, but if you plan on carrying any, take enough. Nappy cream counts as a liquid, so you have to put that in your little plastic bags with everything else. IMHO a backpack is best to use for your hand luggage then you are balanced and have hands free for carrying a wriggly baby up the steps and onto the aircraft.

I heard handlers are rough with buggies, so we have always taken a cheapo collapsible one which you can push right up to the gate and it should be at the bottom of the aircraft steps when you disembark. One nifty trick is to pop her favourite toys and books in the net under the buggy and you don't have to weigh them through as hand luggage. When you surrender your buggy pop them in a carrier bag and take them on the plane. Again I emphatically agree with hopeful about a change of clothes in your hand luggage. William weed through and was soaked before we'd even got on our very first flight and we had to use our one precious spare outfit. Luckily there were no more mishaps, but be prepared lol. I have a separate nappy changing kit for the plane containing 2 nappies, cream, tissues, travel wipes, paper changing mat and a muslin. I have found that ten minutes extra packing faff at home before travelling saves your sanity on a crowded plane with a screaming child and no room to swing a very small kitten. I would also suggest you have some 5ml sachets of Calpol in your armoury as she will of course choose that week to sprout 6 teeth ::P

Aside from that - go, enjoy, have a ball. Take out decent travel insurance and send us all a postcard!

Big hugs from Scarlett. blowkiss

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 7:12pm

We haven't taken out LO abroad yet but I have heard that some companies offer a service where you can hire things such as high chairs, and larger items, you can even order nappies from them. I am sure none of this is cheap though but its an option.

Just had another thought, you will have started weaning by then so you will need to think about food too.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Wednesday, April 25th 2012, 7:39pm

Being organised is the key to it I guess. The sunshine will be a welcome brak from this awful weather! Have a great time! x

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: May 28th 2009

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 10:09am

Do it while she's little, it's easy in comparison to a spirited and defiant toddler!

Yikes - three weeks until we fly to Australia. Longhaul flight with a toddler - what was I thinking?!

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 10:58am

Yip NH, I was thinking of you when I read this thread, brave woman! I'm not looking forward to taking Brodie to Italy in a weeks time but I'm sure it will be a walk in the park compared to Australia! : D

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Snoopy30

• "Snoopy30" started this thread

Reg: Jan 13th 2010

Children: 1 beautiful daughter, Chloe Faye

What's Up?
Loving being a mummy to my beautiful baby girl

Saturday, May 26th 2012, 8:38pm

Hey ladies

Thank you all so much for the advice & sorry it's taken so long to reply. We've booked a holiday to Majorca today for 13th September, just a week but I am sure that will be enough :biggrin: My sister & her DH were also talking about going on holiday around the same time as us, so I suggested we go together. They have 2 boys - one who will be 13 months & the oldest will be almost 3 years old. They agreed & also my parents are coming too - free baby sitting service LOL!

We are staying in Porto Cristo but First Choice doesn't offer a baby pack service but I've looked online & it looks like the hotel does it directly so we can hire high chair etc. We will be weaning Chloe by the time we go, & should be 2 months in so we should have a good idea of what foods etc to take, although I really want to try BLW so xfingers this will make it easier.

Thanks for the advice on the spare clothes etc for travelling, I will add that to my list. I have already started thinking what we will need, & I think my list will be rather long by the time I finish & I am known for being over prepared for everything! Ha!

I've found a couple of websites in Majorca where you can order milk, nappies, ella's kitchen foods etc & have them delivered to your hotel ready for when you arrive. It looks like you pay over the odds for the products, £13.99 for SMA Gold powder! But it's worth considering as at least we won't have to pack all that! I suppose the worry will be it not arriving though! Eek!!!

NH, I guess by now you have already been to Oz and could still be there, let us know how you got on & any tips!

I have one silly question though. We will need to get to the airport by taxi & C obviously will need to be in a car seat. The airline says we can take a car seat or buggy on board, so what do we do, take the car seat on holiday with us along with a buggy??? Silly question I know, but I've been pondering on it!

Reg: Sep 3rd 2009

Children: none

Saturday, May 26th 2012, 10:10pm

if you ask the taxi company alot of them will supply you a car seat to take to the airport.
1st ICSI freeze all OHSS
1st FET :BFN:
2nd ICSI test date 3rd Nov :BFN:
2nd FET feb 12 :BFN:

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Friday, June 8th 2012, 9:43am

Hi Snoopy we've just got back from a wk in Portugal with our 9mth old. All the tips above are exactly as I'd have given them - especially the "travel" change bag for plane - toilets are tiny as you know.

We booked our Taxi from airport to hotel in portugal with A2Btransfers & we specified infant + car seat required. If they can sort it there then a local firm can do it here for you :)

Oh & we had a cover for our buggy to protect it from dirt & dust in the hold. It's not really necessary but I ordered a bright orange buggy to take on hols - not the most sensible colour
:snigger:

I'd say relax, babies are extremely portable & if you can time your feeds correctly then it just makes it that much easier.

Order more food than you need, for the simple reason your baby will have an off day & decide they don't want their usual favourite LOL. It happened to us & I had to mix a fruit puree in to disguise lunch!

A pack of disposable bibs - Godsend!

Enjoy biggrin2

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 9:40am

Hi only just seen this, I was going to suggest that some First Choice holidays offer a baby pack in resort but then realised you mentioned this isn't available at your hotel..boo!

All the advice everyone has given is great. I would just say that at Manchester airport you can ring Boots the chemist (airside) and pre-order your baby supplies such as formula. This means that although you then have to carry it onto the plane, you haven't had to have the weight of it included into your luggage allowance. I have done this each time I have flown and have never had a problem. I just pack a small lightweight empty bag under the pram to put it in. Perhaps your airport offers this service.

Also we give Daniel a dose of calpol about half an hour before we fly and this then helps in case they get pain in their ears on take off/ landing.

We also take a buggy instead of the heavy pushchair and put this in a buggy bag/carrier which I bought for around £10 on line. This also means that when you hand the buggy over at the gate, you can put some stuff in the bag along with the pram if you have finished with it before the flight.

Also rather than a parasol we bought a sunshade for the buggy which projects out beyond the hood and was SPF50. I think argos sell them. Its much easier to keep them in the shade than a parasol. We also put some small hand towels in the buggy for him to sit on as the buggie fabric is synthetic...also as he often was just in a nappy with suncream we didn't want to stain the pram. As they were lightweight towels, I used to rinse them through at night and use a spare the day after whilst it was drying and it meant he kept cool and the pram stayed clean.

Also take some lightweight toys, such as travel etch a sketch and quiet things for your LO to play with on the flight but the flight is so short you should be fine.

When we went to both Spain & Cyprus we struggled to find anything UK branded such as nappies and food so if you know you want a specific brand then either take it with you or order from the airport or the company you have found online to deliver in resort. Although Majorca might be different.

I hope you have a fantastic holiday, we are off to Spain in September so really looking forward to that too xx

Reg: Apr 21st 2012

Children: DD and DS, now ICSI due to secondary infertility

Sunday, June 10th 2012, 12:07pm

I took DD away to Spain when she was 6 months. We discovered not all bottled water was suitable for making up her milk. Look on the packaging and there are done that state they are low in sodium and suitable for babies. "Sin sodio / no sodio/lo sodio" is what you should look for and "para alimentacion bebe" (suitable for baby food). We boiled the bottled water too!
Also a floating baby seat for the pool was a godsend, she loved it
TD xx
1st ICSI: Oct 2012
Me: Low AMH (2.12) and high FSH
DP: Oligoasthenoteratospermia
26/10/12 EC: 3 mature eggs, 1 fertilised
29/10/12 ET: Grade 3, 10 cell embie
12/11/12 - BFN :-(