RosB

Ace

• "RosB" started this thread

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Thursday, June 14th 2012, 9:36pm

Cutting out that final bottle

Hi everyone

Well it has been a long time since I have posted on here, life has just been so busy and I am sure you can all understand that! I have been reading through your posts and I still recognise a lot of the forum names. Anyway I thought I would post up our current issue and see if anyone has any solutions for us. My twin boys are now 20 months old and just so much fun! We are currently struggling to give up that final bottle first thing in the morning. I am still giving them one bottle of formula when they get up and am trying to switch to giving them the same milk in cups. I have tried about 4 times now and they both just scream, they will not even entertain the idea of losing this final bottle but they happily drink milk and water from bottles for the rest of the day. I guess I just figure it is about time to give it up. So does anyone have any suggestions about how to make that switch or should I just relax and let them give it up when they are ready? (on their 18th birthday at this rate!!)

Thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "RosB" (Jun 14th 2012, 9:38pm)

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Friday, June 15th 2012, 1:35pm

hi ros,

i am very much of the opinion of being babyled. all my 3 let me know when they didnt want their bottles anymore. my eldest gave up his final bottle when he was 2.5 yrs. my middle one wouldnt entertain bottles of baby milk, actually any milk when he was about 6 months old (nightmare - his staple diet was yoghurt after every meal and snack, just to get milk intake up) and my youngest wouldnt have formula and a bottle by the time he was 14 months old. after 6 nights of him refusing his bedtime bottle 8 oz wasted every night, i kind of thought you know what, youre done. so much more stress free if you let them lead you.

anyhow, good luck honey

xxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Reg: May 28th 2009

Saturday, June 16th 2012, 9:08pm

Hi Ros,

Must admit that I am the opposite of jade - lol. At 12 months I got rid of the bottles and put whole milk into a sippy cup. I just made her go cold turkey and yes, there were tears for a few days, and she was not allowed water/juice until she drank at least half of the cup (and plenty of yoghurts and cheese throughout the day), but within a week she was drinking morning and night from a sippy cup.

It's up to you which way you want to do it. And good luck!

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 10:48am

I also went a similar was to NH.

My LO was I'll and couldn't drink from a bottle so just chucked them!

I found a cup with a straw was good and a new thing so she liked that. I also didn't bother with formula and just went onto cows milk.

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

biggreeneyes

Reg: Mar 24th 2009

Children: A little boy :)

What's Up?

Sunday, June 17th 2012, 2:44pm

My DH still has a bottle if milk in the morning (small one!) and at night! (He is 23 months!) He still has formula too as he hates Cows milk! I tend to wean him off his bottles by diluting them at first then reducing the amounts slowly until he just isn't bothered about that one!! He refuses milk from any other thing than a bottle with a teat, so i just go with it.

I'm a fan of the baby led way (with gentle help!!) :D

goodgreen

April 09-IVF-BFN :sadface:
Oct 09-ICSI - BFP :happy: - Little boy born on 14/07/10
June 12-ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 12 - ICSI - BFP - followed by mm/c (blighted ovum) :sadface:
April 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Aug 13 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Jan 14 - ICSI - BFN :sadface:
Oct 14 - FET - BFN (surprise surprise) :sadface:

Greeny's trying for another little froggie diary!

RosB

Ace

• "RosB" started this thread

Reg: Sep 23rd 2009

Children: Twin boys conceived on 3rd ICSI attempt

Monday, June 18th 2012, 7:35pm

Thanks for your replies. They are both just so attached to their morning bottle, we have tried about 4 times to switch to cups and they scream sooo much. I think we are going to stick with the bottle for a peaceful life for the time being as I don't think it is doing them any harm. They drink it within 5 mins so it isn't a problem for their teeth. I am hoping that they will naturally give it up but if not we will give them until they are 2 and go cold turkey!

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Friday, September 28th 2012, 8:10pm

My girls are now two and I thought I better stop the bottle before health visitors 2year assessment. This morning just offered cereal and milk in a cup but they are not interested and have never drank milk out of a cup. I was worried about bedtime as they love their bottle while watching night garden but I told them their bottles are in the bin as they are big girls and offered milk in a cup and toasted pancakes. Alana drank some but lia refused to even taste it. I feel so guilty but know it is better for them . It is always hard to get them to eat breakfast so I hope without the bottle they will be hungrier. It was definately easier than I thought and I hope they will be ok tomorrow :hmm:

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Saturday, September 29th 2012, 8:37pm

So pleased they have accepted having no bottle although I still feel guilty :(

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10