You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Little Legs" started this thread

Reg: Dec 2nd 2009

Children: Keeping everything crossed

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 10:38am

Early delivery at 32 weeks

Hi Ladies

I'm not quite sure where to post this so feel free to move it if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm currently 24+1 wks and have been told that I will be having a c-section at 32 weeks. The reason being is my health, I had a kidney transplant 13 yrs ago. I've always known that I wouldn't go to full term but when we got our BFP we was told that I could go to 37 weeks and be induced, last week at my consultant app that changed to 32 week and c-section. I'm being scanned every 2 weeks to check the growth of baby and so far everything is fine. My health is also good at the moment, my blood pressure has stayed level and my kidney function has fluctuated slightly but not enough to worry about.

Basically what I'm after is any advice from ladies who have had early deliveries. What to expect in the NICU?, will my hosp bag need anything different in? Any advice or information will be gratefully appreciated. Can't quite believe that bubba will be here in 8 weeks....

Thanks

Me 35 DP 40
5 x Cycles all :BFN:
6th FET Apr 2012 :BFP: happydance

Joseph David arrived at 28+5 wks smile2

MY DIARY

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 1:05pm

Hi little legs,
I had my lo at 33+6 due to my kidney and liver. I would pack some micro nappies (tesco do pampers micro nappies) & cotton wool balls, baby unit provide these when you first get there but will ask you to get some. Also a little hat for lo for when he/she is first born and for when your having cuddles as they get cold very quickly. Mothercare do a range of premature baby clothes.
In the baby unit there will be lots of machines and beeping and low lighting. Your baby will have a nurse assigned at each shift who will go through baby's progress each time your there, they will encourage you to do as much as possible while you're there. If you are going to try breast feeding they will call you down from your ward when baby needs feeding.
Have a look at the Bliss website, there's lots of info on there. If you need anything just pm me. In the mean time put your feet up and rest while you can :) xxx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 1:29pm

Hi Little Legs.

I'm afraid I don't have any experience myself yet but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this as I too have been wondering what to expect when my twins go to NICU. I'm allowed to go to 37 weeks but I really can't see me making it that far.

Thanks for the advice Kat. I've jsut ordered some little hats from Mothercare and I've been looking at the micro nappies so I'll get some next time I'm in Tesco.

I any other ladies can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Monday, September 3rd 2012, 2:01pm

I had my twins at 33 weeks. It was unexpected and I had not had steroids so the girls were not as well as they could have been had I had the proper treatment. I am sure that they would not be delivering your LO at 32 weeks if they didn't think it was safe and it will be well planned for, so you will be given steroids before you deliver to help mature your LOs lungs. If all goes well, you LO should be able to breath with the minimum of help and may need little more than being kept warm and fed until s/he gains weight, develops a sucking reflex (around 34-35 weeks) and can control his/her body temperature.

For your hospital bag I suggest that you stock up on Pampers micro sized nappies. These are not that easy to get hold of so buy a good stash when you see them. Your hospital will only supply then for the first couple of days and then you will be expected to have your own. If your LO is in NICU or high dependency then they will probably just be in nappies or nappies + vests. You may find that your LO only needs a few days in NICU/HD before they are moved to SCBU and once they are in a regular incubator they will need vest, sleepsuit, a warm cardi and a hat.

It is unlikely that they will be able to feed before 34 weeks so they will be tube fed. However, if you want to breast feed, you will be encouraged to start expressing 24 hours after you give birth. You really have to persevere to begin with because you only get a couple of drops of colostrum the first few times - I remember looking at one drop of colostum in a syringe and desparing about how I was supposed to feed 2 babies with that - but it does build up. You will probably be shown how to express by hand to begin with and will move on to an electric pump after that. I used to express every 3 hours round the clock for the first couple of weeks which really built up my milk supply and I was able to stock up my freezer for when the girls came home. You may want to make sure you have a feeding cushion brought to the hosptial for when you are ready to feed.

You will be kept in for at least 4 nights after a c-section. It is the worst feeling in the world to go home without your LO, but s/he will be being brilliantly looked after, and on the positive side you have a chance to recover from the op and stock up on your sleep without the demands of having a newborn on your hands.

Try not to worry. 32 weeks is a relatively safe time to deliver. You will have had steriods and any early delivery is being planned for so your LO should be absolutely fine.

P.S. Take lots of soft loo roll for you, as after having a baby NO ONE should have to use the terrible stuff you get in hospitals.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 6:04pm

Thanks so much for your advice ladies, it really does help.
So far I've got a supply of micro nappies, early baby vests and extra small hats and a good supply of cotton balls.
Net - thanks for the advice re: loo roll, I'll make sure to pack some.
The Drs haven't said anything about given me steriods for the baby so I will bring that up when I'm back next week.
xx

Me 35 DP 40

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 6:43pm

Hi LL,

Definitely ask about steroids - really does help with lung development in these little ones.

I keep thinking about things that I needed during our stay at NICU but to be honest, aside from the micro nappies and cotton balls, there really wasn't much.

The one thing we would have done differently is to take lots more photographs. We were so scared that Holly and Elliot wouldn't make it that we couldn't bear to take photographs in case it tempted fate or something. Now, looking back, we should have taken lots more. So.....make sure you have a camera handy (without a flash - particularly NICU are very funny about it as the little babies' eyes are so delicate).

Also, I would take a little comfortor toy (do you know what I mean?) Apparently babies want to be near the smell of their mother even very early on and it calms them somehow. Some NICUs will give you a small amount of muslin to wear inside your bra for a few days which they then put into the incubator but we found the comfortors were really alot softer than the muslins. You should have seen me wandering around the hospital with a little blue bear and pink rabbit hanging out of my bra!!!!

Lots of 'heavy' sanitory towls....sorry TMI. I only needed them for a few days fortunately, but everyone is different and you may need them for longer. The midwives looking after me ('looking after me' is a very loose term!) didn't like providing them for me and got quite annoyed when I didn't have any.

If I think of anything else, I will let you know.

hx
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

Reg: Mar 19th 2011

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 11:23pm

Hi little legs. my little one was born at 32 Weeks so I understand your worries. I can't add much more than these ladies have told you. Ask to speak to a paediatrician if you can and fire any questions you have at them. We had the whole process of exactly what might happen explained to us and although parts we're very upsetting, I preferred to know everything. Definitely ask about the steroids. Have lots of comfy but light clothes to wear for yourselves as it's very very hot in SCBU. Also a good hand moisturiser as the constant hand washing is harsh on your skin. ask for lots of skin to skin contact, even if you are not breastfeeding it is special time with your lo. Just remember it is your baby so ask anything you like and trust your instincts.

Please pm if you have any questions or just want to chat. Such an anxious time, I know, but sounds like you are being well looked after.
Take care. Xxxx

Friday, September 14th 2012, 11:33am

Thanks Hayley & Poppy for your responses.

I have since spoken to my consultant who confirmed that I will be given steriods for LO's lungs so that is reassuring. We are now just counting down the weeks and hoping that everything will stay the same until 32 weeks.

Thanks again for the tips.

xxx

Me 35 DP 40

MY DIARY

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, September 14th 2012, 2:43pm

It is unlikely that they will be able to feed before 34 weeks so they will be tube fed. However, if you want to breast feed, you will be encouraged to start expressing 24 hours after you give birth. You really have to persevere to begin with because you only get a couple of drops of colostrum the first few times - I remember looking at one drop of colostum in a syringe and desparing about how I was supposed to feed 2 babies with that - but it does build up.

They call colostrum liquid gold. I donated my breastmilk to a scbu and a single teaspoon can make ALL the difference to a preemie baby. As Newly Wed said, it does build up and it can take some coaxing so you may feel disheartened but a few precious drops of the yellowy fluid called colostrum are enough to really help your baby. Read up on hand expressing. It's something you can 'do' when you may otherwise feel helpless.

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 16th 2012, 7:58pm

Don't be afraid to ask for some help when you first start expressing.....I remember having the twins and within a few hours a lovely midwife came over with a 1ml syringe and taught me how to hand express for the first time (prior to using a pump). I got something like half a ml but it soon increased and I managed to give my little ones breast milk for almost five months. Someone has already said how very important it is, and it really is! I also donated a load of milk as I was producing too much really........it was used within a couple of weeks to my amazement and they were so grateful in NICU.

I would also agree that you should totally trust your instincts and ask questions and in some cases, demand answers. We found that some doctors/nurses in the later hospital didn't want to tell us anything which was pretty tough. If you don't understand something then make sure you ask and ask over and over again if you have to. If you don't agree with the treatment you little one is receiving, make sure you voice your concerns and (like me!) don't be afraid to refuse their advice if you feel strongly enough. In our case, it was the difference between our little Elliot being alive or not.

Trust yourself and be kind to yourself.....you will all be just fine and home before you know it. Try not to be scared - all will be well.

hx
3 X ICSI

United Kingdom

Sunday, September 16th 2012, 7:58pm

BTW - tube feeding isn't all that awful either. Lots of my friends have said they couldn't handle a tube being put down their baby's mouth/nose but you soon get used to it and it works quite well sometimes as you don't have to wake them to feed them!
3 X ICSI

Monday, October 1st 2012, 10:48am

Thanks for the advice Hayley.

I don't think we are going to get to 32 weeks now :(

It seems that my transplanted kidney is starting to show signs of distress. I've got to go back on wed for bloods and depending onn what they are will depend on what happens next. If they have gone up again then I will be admitted and watched on a day to day basis, if they have stayed the same then I think they will check them again end of the week or beginning of next week. Basically my Dr has said that baby could be here in the next week or two. I would like to get to 30 weeks at least but we will have to wait and see.

Starting to feel a little scared now as it all seems very real.

I've been told that I couldn't breast feed until baby was full term due to drugs that I have to take so hopefully I will be able to express and freeze it. My original thoughts on donor milk was that I didn't like it but now if baby comes so early and needs it then I would happily accept donor milk if it were to help my LO.

Me 35 DP 40

MY DIARY

Reg: Jun 1st 2012

Children: one beautiful daughter thank u and 4 angels in heaven

Monday, October 1st 2012, 10:58am

Awh Little Legs- didnt want to read and run but i just wanna say i have everything crossed for you and wish you all the best in the coming weeks blowkiss

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Monday, October 1st 2012, 11:16am

Hello little legs I am afraid I can not offer any advice but I did not want to just read and not say anything.
I am wishing you and baby all the best and hope you both will be well.
Please take care and look after yourself. :hugs:

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 9:52am

Well bloods have gone up :(

I'm just waiting now for consultant to call me to let me know whether I'll be admitted today or not. Things really are not looking too good. Bubba could def be here by end of next week which is very exciting but also very scary as so early.

Will update with more news later

xx

Me 35 DP 40

MY DIARY

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 2:23pm

Hi Little Legs,

Wish you all the best in the world and keep the faith - medical science is amazing these days and your little one will be well looked after. Also I assume you already got given steroids so baby is as well prepared as can be so early. I am thinking of you and will keep thinking of you in these special but difficult times. I was myself born 2 month early completely unexpected with less than 3 lb (1.3 kg) and I am a healthy adult now. That was 30 years ago so your baby has even better chance. Hope things go smoothly and you get to go home fairly early.

xxx Rianon

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 2:50pm

Little legs - im sending you all my love and luck today. If you are admitted babes you are in the best possible place for you and LO. And keep the faith i have twin cousins who were born at 26 weeks less than 2lb each and now they are crazy running around at 5 years of age. Everything will be ok blowkiss

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 6:28pm

Thinking of you little legs and hope all is going ok with you and your baby. Xxxx

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 7:17pm

Hey there,

Thinking of you today - hope all is well.

Please try not to worry - easier said than done I know. You are nearing 30 weeks which is great news for both you and your pregnancy. The difference between 25 and 29 weeks is utterly amazing. I have made friends with a few people that had 29 week babies and they are all doing really well. They are still small but quite a lot more mature. Breathing may be difficult to start with but they soon get over this. It's only an issue becasuse a) the lungs are still a little immature and b) because you will probably have a c section which means the mucus and other unmentionable bodily fluids doesn't get pushed out as it would with a natural birth (does that make sense)?

There will be a few more people in theatre (if you do have a section) than you would imagine. I think there are normally 3 or 4 neonatal people along with all sorts of other people running around like maniacs. All will be well.

hx
3 X ICSI

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 9:31am

Hi ladies.
Well I was admitted yest and bloods checked again. They have gone up again so delivery
Will be today or tomorrow. Had 1st lot of steroids last night do will get more today or tonight. It's all
suddenly very real and I'm now very nervous.
Gonna keep it short, will update later when got more news.
xxx

Me 35 DP 40

MY DIARY

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 9:41am

Its a shock when they decide to deliver isnt it and you're bound to be nervous, but you're in the best place with experts that know what they are doing. Its great that you've had the steroid injections xxx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 10:17am

Hi

Not posted before so apologies for gate crashing but I just wanted to wish you well for today or tomorrow. You and your baby will be in the best possible hands. Thinking of you X

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 3:59pm

Lalazig is right, you are in the best possible hands. Was just popping in to see if there was any news from you. Will be thinking of you lots today and tomorrow and the days that follow once your little one is here. Lots of love. Xxxx

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 4:05pm

Awh :goodluck: littlelegs will be thinking of you and your bundle over the next few days :pray: blowkiss .

United Kingdom

Thursday, October 4th 2012, 7:59pm

Hey you,

Hope all is well - I am sure that it is.

I am not sure whether I should be saying I hope you have met your little one or not as yet but whatever has happened, all will be fine.

Keep smiling and remember that these little ones are really a lot tougher than you think. It might be a shock seeing your little one at first, but you will fast see through the wires and lights etc.

Love and hugs.

hx
3 X ICSI

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Tuesday, October 9th 2012, 4:23pm

Any news from Little Legs anyone? X

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

Tuesday, October 9th 2012, 7:04pm

I was just wondering the same? Has anyone heard anything? Hope all is well LL. xxx

Reg: May 14th 2009

Children: We are so lucky - our 'Little Wriggler' Lewis Young arrived safely on 03.09.2010 and we are so grateful to have been blessed again, as he now has a little baby brother on the way :o) X

Friday, October 19th 2012, 12:03pm

Hi Little Legs - I was following your thread and just noticed your signature...CONGRATULATIONS on the birth of your little boy Joseph David : D Hope all is ok and things are going well XXXXXXXX

Oct 07 - BFP - M/C
Dec 09 - IVF - BFP - DS#1 EC/S @ 40+6
Feb 12 - BFP - DS#2 @ 41
My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Friday, October 19th 2012, 12:29pm

Just popped in to see how things are going and I saw your updated signature too! I'm so pleased you little one is hear and I hope that everything is going well.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary