You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Buzzbee

• "Buzzbee" started this thread

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Friday, February 15th 2013, 1:56pm

First holiday abroad with a toddler - did you use a swim vest or anything similar?

We're going on holiday in May and I just wanted to know what other mums put on their LO when in the pool? Did you use arm bands? A ring? Or a swim vest? Or anything else?

I have been looking at the swim vests as I do like the fact that they look less restrictive than armbands and a rubber ring, plus he should be able to keep it on better. When I was a child I always remember arm bands catching my skin and were quite painful wearing them for long.

Would any of your recommend those wet suits with sun protection in? Of course I will use sun block but I do want to ensure he doesn't burn so was thinking having the added protection of these suits would be good. I probably sound a bit paranoid but it's our first child and our first holiday abroad so I would be grateful if any tips and advice.

Thanks x
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

Reg: Jan 5th 2009

Children: 3 children

Friday, February 15th 2013, 3:18pm

Hiya :hi: We are going away in may too.....to Portugal. Was wondering the same thing. :xxx3:
:BFP: June 2012

Baby girl Millicent (Millie) born 16/1/13 bab21

Buzzbee

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Friday, February 15th 2013, 3:31pm

Ha ha we're going to Portugal too! A villa near Alvor. Can't wait. As my son is running around now though I have this fear of him falling in the pool so want to ensure he always has a float on him so thought the swim vest would be ideal! We will be with him at all times of course but you just never know do you?! Best to be safe than sorry eh?! nailbite

We haven't been swimming much because he has eczema and it flares up with the chlorine but we plan on taking him lots before the holiday so he can become mroe confident in the water. He loves bath time so I'm sure he'll have loads of fun in the pool.

Really looking forward to it though and can't wait to spend some quality time together as a family - even though we will be there with lots of other family members too!

x

Reg: Jan 5th 2009

Children: 3 children

Friday, February 15th 2013, 3:48pm

We will be staying in a villa in Praia de Luz. We went to Alvor last year. It's lovely there!

Millie is only 4 weeks at the moment. I know what you mean about the worry about the pool. Mind you everything is a worry with a baby isn't it :sniff: . :xxx3:
:BFP: June 2012

Baby girl Millicent (Millie) born 16/1/13 bab21

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Friday, February 15th 2013, 4:42pm

I would recommend the swim vest from mother care but make sure you get it just before you go and get it tried on as it needs to be fitted well and I found the ages stated on them did not work.

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Buzzbee (15.02.2013)

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Friday, February 15th 2013, 10:46pm

We took our son abroad when he was 6 months then again when he was 18 months, the 2nd time we took him we bought a swim seat and a swim jacket for him he was fie using these and we had him in an all in one uv swimsuit with hat!

One other tip i would give you is instead of taking packs of swim nappies or buying them over there as they are expensive is to buy some reusable swim nappies from Mothercare or Ebay etc, use them,rinse them out dry them and use again they are fab,not only saves on your luggage allowance but saves you money in the long run!

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Saturday, February 16th 2013, 9:26pm

hiya

sorry to jump on your thread but i'm woundeing about baby formula at the airport? does anyone know the procedure?

were going away in April, i have some of the sun protection all in one wet suits, matalan are doing them for £8

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Saturday, February 16th 2013, 9:33pm

Hi Sacha, what you needing to know?

What i done was bought disposable bottles from Boots for using on flight etc then bought ready made milk at Boots in airport after security that wa y didnt have to open cartons or taste bottles. I packed my bottles in the case ready to steralise when we needed them, the disposable ones were great use them and throw them away. Also a couple of sachets of Calpol in your hand luggage incase the wee ones ears get sore, again the sachets are fine and dont need to be opened like a bottle of medicine would.

Anything else you need to know just ask, i've had my son away a few times now

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Sunday, February 17th 2013, 10:01am

thanks bride2be, he needs milk for reflux but i could always put that in the case he wouldn't be too bad with normal formula for a couple of feeds, i didn't even know you could get disposable bottles.

where would i be without you girls

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Reg: Jul 15th 2009

Children: one perfect little girl

Monday, March 4th 2013, 11:31pm

Buzzbee- I've just seen this thread....I have been pondering the same and have come to the conclusion that L will be using them all in one uv swim suits with the hats and neck flap for extra protection. U can also get the suits as 2 pieces - shorts and top. I am taking swim nappies over with us as I have heard they are expensive over there - I stocked up when they were on offer :-) I am also planning on getting L a jacket for a float as I have tried her with armbands and she refuses to wear them....I am guessing the little life jacket things will be alot easier to out on than arm bands too.

Do u know what I are doing with milk? Obviously our lo's are on cows milk now so was thinking I'd just use the milk over there but it always tastes funny so not sure what L will make of it..lol. Maybe taking some toddler milk too to be on safe side. I am worried there will be no room for all my shoes in my luggage after all I have to take for L...lol xx

1st ICSI :BFN: ;(
2nd ICSI :BFP: happydance

jodiedoo

Ireland

Reg: Mar 20th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
All's great here

Tuesday, March 5th 2013, 1:09am

Hi
We went to Spain when DS was 13 months old and I brought swim nappies cause I didn't want the hastle of having to shop for them and when I spotted them in the supermarket they were very expensive for a smaller pack! I bought a full length (arms and legs) spf 50 swimming costume and also a hat to match at amazon. It was brill no suncream needed except for his face and he didn't burn at all. I bought a swim seat and he loved feeling secure whilst kicking away and also being pulled around the pool. We're heading back again in July and I plan to do the same again this year.
Hope that helps :)
TTC 10 years..... Me 41 Dh 48 Jodie's ICSI Diary

Tuesday, March 5th 2013, 9:04am

Ah swim seat might be a good idea.....I tend to associate them with babies but u can buy the bigger sizes can't u....did u take one with u Jodiedoo or buy it out there? Would u recommend taking a certain number of swim suits....we are off for 10days and so I was going to buy about 3. Didn't realise u don't need to put sun lotion under the suits (obviously as long as they have uv protection)...that's good to know :)

jodiedoo

Ireland

Reg: Mar 20th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
All's great here

Wednesday, March 6th 2013, 3:15am

I brought 2 swim suits and tbh one would have done fine. You can rinse them out and leave to dry on balcony. Once they wear a swim nappy they don't even get dirty. Just be sure you get a one with high spf. Try to get long leg and long sleeve ones cause the short means you have to faff about with sun cream on the exposed skin. I bought mine on Amazon from an Australian company. It cost about £30 but was well worth it. I bought the swim seat on amazon age 1-2 and it was perfect size wise. DS had a great time in it cause he felt so safe and secure. Think he would freak out with just arm bands on. May buy a vest also and bring that along with the seat this year. We bring the swim seat and swim suits to the hotels we go to also so we've got good wear out of it too.
Hope that helps :)
TTC 10 years..... Me 41 Dh 48 Jodie's ICSI Diary

Thursday, March 7th 2013, 9:50pm

Thanks for the info Jodie : D

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Friday, March 8th 2013, 7:31pm

Cheers for the info ladies.

I bought a swim vest today from Argos, which I plan to test out tomorrow at the baths. I definitely want a full length suit so I can ensure he is covered and protected from the sun. I got one of those hats with flaps today too and a towel that goes over his head with a hood. I plan to get some jelly bean type shoes too to protect his feet from the hot floor and any stones so he can wear them around the pool.

Cheers for the tip re swim nappies too. How many do you think I will need to take for a weeks holiday (6 full days really)?

Also any tipps for keeping them entertained on a flight? It's only 2 hours so not long. I was thinking I might download his favourite cartoons onto my phone for him to watch.

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Friday, March 8th 2013, 8:00pm

Buzz bee, those Velcro sandals are better than jelly shoes, they are fabric so les sweaty and also, they go in the washing machine when you get home. Plus, being velcro, they grow a bit with your child's feet, we've had 2 summers out of a pair. Try TKMaxx for bargains or Sports Direct.

We had inflatable swim seats which were very practical as it means you have your hands a bit more free. Obviously, you wouldn't leave him unattended in it, but it means you don't have to constantly be holding him. You can often buy them in the resort if luggage space is at a premium.

For swim nappies, we allowed one disposable per day of the holiday and take a reusable one too which can be hand washed and then dried really quickly in the sunshine. That means enough for the days when he wants to go in the pool more than once.

On flights, cartoons are a great idea. My two always shut up if given a snack and they like a copy of the cbeebies magazine (check the freebie toy isn't a whistle unless you want to be chucked off the plane!).And for some reason, small children LOVE the in flight safety card and will spend hours looking at it, handy if the worst happens, because they'll know exactly what to do!

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Buzzbee (09.03.2013)

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Saturday, March 9th 2013, 7:22pm

I got the Zoggs vest from Argos yesterday. It's padded and you don't need to blow it up and is very lightweight. We tried it out today at the pool but as my DS isn't confident in the water yet and he got too upset - we have hardly been swimming because he has eczema and it flares it up but now with a holiday only about 8 weeks off we want to get him comfortable in a pool.

He loves Henry Hugglemonster so I will ensure I have some of them on my phone for the plane. Someone told me that buying them a small new toy is good as because it's new they're interested in it for a while - before they get bored again LOL!

Will check out those sandals. I saw them but thought the jelly bean ones would be better in the pool as was gonna leave them on him for in the pool too. Not sure if you need to or not but just thought it'd be easier than taking them off and on.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE