You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "rallygirl" started this thread

Reg: Jan 16th 2011

Children: Our beautiful angel Evie and her new baby sister Isla, our wee rainbow.

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 12:57pm

12 week old hates her car seat!!!

Hi folks

As title says, my little girl hates her car seat and i am almost at my wits end!! I cant face going anywhere in the car which is sooo limiting and i dont like using it with her buggy either.

I'm interested to hear if anyones LO has been the same and how did you deal with it? I think it's the position she's in that she doesn't like but it'll be months before she can be in a more upright car seat so what on earth do we do in the meantime? She just cries and cries when we go anywhere and even when dh is driving and i sit right beside her she still cries so that's why i'm sure it's more to do with the position she's in than being able to see us when in the car.

Please help!! :-(

xxx

Buzzbee

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 3:08pm

What car seat do you have? My DD cries in the car too, not for the whole journey mind but she definitely doesn't find it as settling as DS did who always slept. She even knows when the engine cuts off!

I find DD gets quite warm and when she cries that makes her more warm so I don't put a coat on her when strapped in and just a thin blanket. I also find putting a blanket over the hood to block out any stimulstion helps sometimes.

xx
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

Reg: May 30th 2010

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 11:58pm

Hi Rally,

We don't have a car but my DD hated her Grandpa's car when she last tried. It will get better in time. Any bus services in your area? ;)

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, October 25th 2013, 9:58am

Hi, Hun
A few things to check:
1) If she is a big girl, make sure that the seat is not too small/resticting
2) Ensure that the straps are not biting into her at any point
3) Never start a car-trip if she is already grumpy - make sure that she is not hungry/wet/too tired etc before she goes into the seat
4) If she is taking an interest in things around her - see if there is a way in which you can attach some sort of "toy" over/across the seat to keep her attention
5) Make sure that she is not too hot or cold
6) Has the seat got various position options? C's seat could not be upright but had 2 positions that we could choose from
7) Check that the sun (if you ever see it :)) is not shining into her face in the car

And remember - if you tense up because you are expecting her to be upset, she will pick up on it and cry all the more

Good luck, Hun

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Children: Our beautiful angel Evie and her new baby sister Isla, our wee rainbow.

Friday, October 25th 2013, 10:40am

Thank you ladies, lots of good tips for us to try. I think it's the position she is in that's the problem. She is fine lying down on the floor but when she is upright she wants to be properly upright or standing and obviously she is just too little for a normal child seat. We actually have 2 seats but they both have baby in a similar position where they are in between lying and sitting, i guess its for support. We will persevere.

Thanks again. xx

Buzzbee

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Friday, October 25th 2013, 11:05am

If none of that works you could look at car seats that lie flat. I think Britax do one but could be pricey plus she may soon stop crying and enjoy playing with toys on the journey.

xx
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

Friday, October 25th 2013, 8:48pm

That's what I'm hoping Buzzbee, she'll soon be more distracted with toys.

Xx

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Saturday, October 26th 2013, 12:49am

Soon toys will help - and snacks! Our car used to be permanently suffused with the scent of corn puffs.
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

Reg: Aug 12th 2010

What's Up?
(",)

Sunday, October 27th 2013, 10:34pm

Could you try putting her in the seat when you're in the house but not planning on going out in the car. Just try a few minutes at a time when you know she is in a good mood, and may not cry so easily. If you take her out while she is still not crying, then it might begin to break some sort of association that she may have going on?
Aug/Sept 2010 ICSI :BFP: :girl:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "chillimint" (Oct 27th 2013, 10:36pm)

Thursday, October 31st 2013, 4:49pm

Norah was the same, but it turned out it wasn't the car seat, but that she wasn't close to me. A dummy helped! Once she took the dummy car journeys were a joy! Archie loves the car, but likes the black bit of the maxi cosy down, so he can see. You know - the black thin material for the sun/wind shade. Good luck xxx