You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Muppet44

• "Muppet44" started this thread

Reg: Apr 30th 2014

Wednesday, April 30th 2014, 10:08am

Newbie, where do I start?

Hi all,

I'm 38 and my hubby is 43 and we have been ttc for 2 years. I had a miscarriage last August at only 5 weeks and we have just started having tests. So far from blood test and a scan I seem to be ovulating fine and no cysts. Hubby's results are a about 50% down on motility and normality (shape/ morphology?) I am now awaiting the dye test to check my tubes and another test from hubby before we have another consultation.

The consultant said we would be suitable for IVF but I'm not sure this is something I could cope with (I have a needle phobia just for starters). I did mention IUI and this doesn't seem to be ruled out as yet but I understand the chances of it working are less. We have both said we wouldn't do IVF because of the stress and due to the cost we would only have 1 round anyway, now I'm not sure what choice I would make. I know my age is a consideration but we are both very fit and healthy in every other way.

Has anyone else (esp over 35) decided to do just IUI instead of IVF with success?

Thanks

Muppet :)

Reg: Jan 27th 2013

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?
Gutted - where do we go from here

Wednesday, April 30th 2014, 10:23am

Hi Muppet

Loving the name thumbup

I suppose IVF is personal choice and like you say is not for everyone, it is a hard emotional process there is no getting away from it, but if your need for a child out ways your fears of needles and hospitals then I say go for it as you may get to 40 and regret it but it is a very personal choice and only you and your DH can make that choice.

As for IUI, my option is its great for unexplained as it helps the sperm get to the right pace and fx would give you a better chance of a pregnancy, if your DH sperm are having trouble penetrating the egg the IUI is no good and you would need ICSI where this involve injecting the sperm straight into the egg. I am by no means an expert on sperm so I suggest you ask at your consultation does his sperm defects mean it is harder to penetrate the egg, if so then ask what the stats are on IUI working. If the sperm only has mobility issues and therefore are finding it hard to reach the right place, then yes IUI is for you.

I haven't used IUI as I have a fibroid on the top of my right tube, so it wouldn't have helped in our case.

I wish you all the luck in the world that your dreams for a a baby come true.

Xxx

Cheree's - journey to holding my little bundle of joy']MY DIARY[/url]
Me: 38 DF:40 1 DD 17 from previous relationship
TTC 4.5 yeas
Fibroid top right of uterus blocking my right tube
1st IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2013 :BFN:
2nd IVF cycle April/May 2014 :BFN:
3rd FET Dec 2014 :BFN:
Not sure where we go from here going to take a break

Muppet44

Wednesday, April 30th 2014, 11:50am

Thanks Cheree

I'm probably jumping the gun a bit as DH has only had one test and is due another in May and I'm awaiting the dye test so until then we won't even know if IUI is an option. However we did get pregnant before so hopefully this is proof that the sperm are strong enough to break through the egg (well at least one of them was!)

I guess I feel under pressure to start making a decision (something I'm not very good at) due to my age as I only have 18 months before treatment on the NHS will no longer be available to us. Like you said I don't want to regret it.

How long does a round of IVF take?

Muppet x

Reg: Jan 27th 2013

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?
Gutted - where do we go from here

Wednesday, April 30th 2014, 12:44pm

Ha yes you've got pregnant before so I'm sure DH [zx151] can get through :thumbsup:

I am on my second cycle this time and I started the drugs on the 1st April and having ET 1st May then have 2WW so all in all this cycle will be 6 weeks, my first cycle was about 7.5 weeks so I think it depends On Your cycle and clinic

You could do both I think you get 4-6 goes of IUI so that's 6months before you decided if you want to try IVF you can ask you clinic if you can be on IFV waiting list while going through IUI. Remember to have a list and write down all these questions as you think of them, as once your in there and the consultant starts talking to you all these thing go from your mind.

Not sure if this is true or if anyone else would know but hasn't IVF age increased to 42? Like I say not sure, it may depend on individual clinics but I think there was something in the press about increasing it??

Xxx

Cheree's - journey to holding my little bundle of joy']MY DIARY[/url]
Me: 38 DF:40 1 DD 17 from previous relationship
TTC 4.5 yeas
Fibroid top right of uterus blocking my right tube
1st IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2013 :BFN:
2nd IVF cycle April/May 2014 :BFN:
3rd FET Dec 2014 :BFN:
Not sure where we go from here going to take a break

Muppet44

Wednesday, April 30th 2014, 1:10pm

We get 4 rounds of IUI and one round of IVF on the NHS but you have to be under 40 (40th birthday it ends) After 4 rounds of IUI I don't think I would have any more and we can't afford IVF privately. So yes you may be able to have it to 42 but not free.

Thanks for the info though as I think we probably have enough time to do both if we choose that route. So far they have made appointments for us very quickly.

We both believe 'what will be, will be' but want to make sure we give it our best shot with no regrets. After the last visit to the doctors I got pregnant 3 months later, here's hoping it works again!

Muppet x

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Cheree 76 (30.04.2014)