You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "LadyLuck" started this thread

Friday, May 4th 2007, 11:11pm

Travelling abroad with babies.....

I found a site that is useful if you are travelling abroad and want British baby food, toiletries, nappies, first aid etc to be sent ahead of you arriving at your hotel/villa.

I had a look and it is expensive but may be useful to someone

http://www.tinytotsaway.com/

Missy

Superstar

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, May 5th 2007, 10:13am

I was looking at this in M&B the other day, and while it would be fantastic if you are going somewhere remote with no facilities, it wouldn't be necessary if you are going mainland.

What were the shops like for nappies etc when you went over V?

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Monday, May 7th 2007, 11:39am

There was a co-op type shop and a british baby supplies and food shop, the nappies were pampers but were very very expensive, we would pay £8 for a pack of pampers here but they were £14 there. In the supermarkets, the big ones, they were cheaper but didnt do pampers, they did other makes that were unknown to me. I think they did do Huggies or some sort though.

They did baby food (jar) in the British supplies shop too but everything was double the price. A small box of crunchy nut cornflakes was £4.

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Tuesday, May 8th 2007, 12:29pm

the biggest issue ive come across is traveling and needing a car seat......its fine if you are hiring a car but if your not then its a bugger...even inthe UK!!!

Wednesday, May 9th 2007, 8:21pm

Yeah I agree. I am going to Turkey in June and we don't have a car seat and we are not hiring a car either. My Dad is living out there and he will be driving us around but I would like a car seat. We can take one with us we are flying with BA but we have to fly on Easyjet first and cant take the extra with us, we are taking a travel cot with us already. I have to look to see how much it will all cost.

When I went to Mallorca the other week there was a couple with a double buggy, (2 kids) and they also took a car seat for the tiny baby. That was with Fly Globespan, they had so much stuff. But I guess its worth it if it saves a life eh!

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Thursday, May 10th 2007, 2:49pm

V- is your Dad staying out there for a while - ie will you be visiting often? If so it might be worthwhile buying one to keep out there - I'm sure Turkey must have something similar to ebay -- might be worth looking in to.

Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

dwarf

Star

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: ds 2yrs

Tuesday, May 15th 2007, 10:27am

You have to be careful with car seats. My folks live in the US and when we went with ds last summer I thought about butying a car sat to take with us and leave out there for future use. When I went to JKUK the car seat expert said that insurance would not cover me as the seats are not made to fit US cars - think European cars may be different? Might be worth checking.
Me pcos. Ds born nov 2005 - 1 round clomid.
TTC no2 since April 06.
6 rounds clomid (skinny womb lining + vaired response),
3XIUI, 1X IVF.
BFP 29/12. All fingers and toes crossed.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, May 15th 2007, 11:49am

we travel around Asia a lot and there is no way we can take a car seat with us. we do the same for cars as we do with planes cos those baby seat belt things are pointless IMHO.

what we do is put DS in a baby bjorn. Daddy then sits in the back seat, with DS on his chest. Then Daddy puts the seatbelt between his body and DS.

Tuesday, May 15th 2007, 3:03pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bluey
V- is your Dad staying out there for a while - ie will you be visiting often? If so it might be worthwhile buying one to keep out there - I'm sure Turkey must have something similar to ebay -- might be worth looking in to.

Elaine
x

Hi Elaine

Yes he is out there for a while, and yes I did think about an ebay type thing there also (great minds think alike!! :D) although we can take a travel cot with us on the plane, its a pain so I was going to buy a cheap one of them there too.

Thursday, May 17th 2007, 12:12pm

I found this link, thought it may be useful regarding this subject

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/travel/…ing8to15months/

Reg: Apr 18th 2006

Children: 5 year old daughter

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 8:40am

Travelling with baby

Anyone travelled to the USA with a baby?

I am taking pushchair as we are going to NY for 5 days in december (where it will be freezing), then flying to Orlando for a further 8 days. I want to take her pushchair as I have ust bought a cosytoes and it will be nice and warm when we are walking the streets of manhattan (as not sure if it's practical to use the subway with a buggy). The only problem is what should we do about a car seat? It's not practical to take the carseat with us and she's almost growing out of it, and I don't want this to be her only pushchair seat as it's nowhere near as comfy as her normal seat, plus she sleeps in her buggy very well.

I'm not sure about the rules for taking babies in cabs in the USA and am finding it very difficult to get any information about it - can anyone help?
Lisa

:xxx3:

me 39 dh 42
IVF 06
DD arrived Feb 2007 at 37 weeks and 6 days
FET 1 - Nov 12 BFN ;(

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 12:13pm

I believe there is a company which can hire them to you when you're on hols. There is a thread on here somewhere but couldn't tell you where. Sorry thats not much help is it!

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 1:16pm

There is this company Tiny Tots Away
but they don't hire carseats, if you are hiring a car many companys offer them as an extra. A car seat is just as bad for a babys back as the buggy, so it may be an option to hire a bouncy/ highchair or even travel cot from these instead? Only other thing I can think is that if the floor allows to make a base in your room for L using pillows and blankets :)) Have a great trip, sounds wonderful! :D

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 9:16pm

I don't see the problem in using the subway. Will you be on your own a lot or will there be someone to help carry down the steps?
Lots of subways have got lifts now.
I am pretty sure that there will be someone not that stressed to help you!

You should book a car service from the air port to be sure to have a car seat!
If you go to JFK there is a train to the nearest subway in brooklyn somewhere but it is a bit booring.

Are you renting a car in Orlando? Larger distances to travel there!

Z is almost a year and he can still squeeze into his baby seat so you might want to bring one along and just use a normal taxi.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 5:16pm

I am flying to California on Wednesday with L, and when we were wondering what to take with us and how much it would cost to hire, we decided to just take her car seat with us, although this is not her 'baby car seat' its a britax first class si seat.

We have to check this in as luggage for L as we are taking her buggy too. What ever you decide double check the baggage allowance with each airline before you go, As We need a connecting flight with BA in this country and there baggage allownace is alot different to the Virgin Atlantic allowance. Although the virgin allowance superseeds the BA flight as it is a connecting flight iykwim, but yours will not be as you are spending a few days in NY first.

Hope you have a great time, I guess Mickey will be tired hoping between Orlando and california! lol

Binky

Star

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 5:24pm

Enteraining tot on long flight

Hi guys,

I am hoping that some of you may have some great tips on entertaining L on our up and coming flight.

We do have night flights but as she hardly sleeps here i doubt she will much on the flight.

We have bought her some new books and colouring in books and crayons. She will also have an inflight TV although I don't think she will wear the earphones at all.

So any ideas would be great please!

Thanks in advance xx

Binky

Star

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 7:01pm

Thanks

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 12:01pm

Hi Binky

You never know what it is that will entertain the child the most on the flight. The buttons on the arm of the seat entertained DS1 on and off the entire flight, and one book that I took we must have read 50 times (we had 6 others with us that didn't get a look-in!). It was a lift-the-flap book and although the stories were way over his head, we just talked about the pictures over and over and over again. I was so bored, but if he was quiet and interested, that made me happy/relieved!

On the way back from the US, on a night-flight, although DS1 doesn't know how to sleep except in a cot, DH strapped him onto his seatbelt with the baby extra belt as soon as possible and just held him (gently but firmly held his arms and body) lying on his back on DH's lap/legs. He struggled and cried for a while, but when he realised that nothing was going to be done about it, he went to sleep. He never sleeps in the pushchair, so we really thought it wouldn't be possible. He slept/stayed in that position for most of the flight which was better than we had ever imagined possible. The loud crying for 20 mins at the beginning was worth it for the benefit that came later! (We had booked a daytime flight back for that very reason, but it was cancelled because of 3 feet of snow that fell the night before - how frustrated was I!)
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 12:47pm

ear plugs for mum & dad, and bugger the other passengers! ;)

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 1:36pm

Supposedly, screaming helps babies relieve the pressure in their ears.

I'm with Sun, let the other passengers tut and roll their eyes, its only for a few hours!

Binky

Star

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 1:37pm

lol lmao thanks guys I may take that tip up Sun!!

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 10:48pm

I recently went to Turkey on a 4hr flight on my own with Chloe. I made friends with a couple who really really helped me out. C loves people and as long as she had people to talk to and who would give her a bit of attention she was ok.

C doesnt sleep anywhere but in her cot or car seat, well not easily anyway. She was getting so tired and fidgetty, so I just rocked her and held her firmly while she screamed and cried her head off for about 5 minutes til she just finally and suddenly fell asleep. I didn't care what others thought. I thought I woudl worry, but I didnt.

I won't lie, its not easy, but you never know L may sail through it. C was fine with her ears. It depends what time your flight is, but I was lucky as we departed exactly when her night bottle was due, other times I used a dummy, or get a sucky beaker of water/juice to keep the sucking going to prevent the ear pains.

Good luck hun x

Binky

Star

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 10:54pm

Thanks so much for the tips, you have also just reminded me that I have not got her cup out ready. Well done you for doing it on your own, pleased to hear she was good for you. Fingers crossed for L tomorrow. xx

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 11:00pm

Things I found useful to take:
comfort blanket or cuddly toy,
plenty of dummies (if used)
juice cup
pens
books
colouring books
blanket (I needed lots of padding for when she fell asleep under my arm against the window as it was cold and hard)
comfy clothing thats easy to get to the nappy (changing thing in the loo is rediculous, so small)
snacks (that don't get too messy)

Hope all goes well tomorrow x x x

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 11:02pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Limpet
Hi Binky

On the way back from the US, on a night-flight, although DS1 doesn't know how to sleep except in a cot, DH strapped him onto his seatbelt with the baby extra belt as soon as possible and just held him (gently but firmly held his arms and body) lying on his back on DH's lap/legs. He struggled and cried for a while, but when he realised that nothing was going to be done about it, he went to sleep. He never sleeps in the pushchair, so we really thought it wouldn't be possible. He slept/stayed in that position for most of the flight which was better than we had ever imagined possible. The loud crying for 20 mins at the beginning was worth it for the benefit that came later!

We did this with our two on our flights and it seemed to work, smile through the screams and when they realise ithey have to go to sleep they do!!!
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Binky

Star

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 11:07pm

Quoted

Originally posted by LadyLuck
Things I found useful to take:
comfort blanket or cuddly toy,
plenty of dummies (if used)
juice cup
pens
books
colouring books
blanket (I needed lots of padding for when she fell asleep under my arm against the window as it was cold and hard)
comfy clothing thats easy to get to the nappy (changing thing in the loo is rediculous, so small)
snacks (that don't get too messy)

Hope all goes well tomorrow x x x

Thank you, I have most of those covered I never thought of taking a bigger blanket, I have her comfort blanket and her favorite toy. I forgot about buying in some more dummies damn, she has weird shaped ones from tommee tippee I hope they sell them over there on no argh panic mode.I only have two here and she loses one almost every other day. Hope boots will have them at duty free.

Thank you everyone for yourhelp it realy is apprieciated!

Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 11:18pm

Sorry, one more thing, I took her reigns (sp) this helps quite a bit actually x

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, September 13th 2008, 9:47pm

I just ordered a a Cares - Kids Fly Safe belt for DS as DH is working in the states at the moment.
I am flying in a few weeks time and if he gets his own seat (he will be 2 in one months time) I will let you know how it works out.
I just dread the day I would have to drag around a car seat to fly with him so this seems like the sensible solution.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Monday, September 15th 2008, 3:44pm

looks great wish I had of known about!

cazd

Ace

Reg: Aug 4th 2008

Children: Blessed with 1 beautiful little boy june 2009

Sunday, January 10th 2010, 10:35am

Travel long haul with baby

Hi Ladies
All going well we are taking Alex to Canada in 2 weeks time and i was wondering if anyone had taken their LO on a long haul flight recently. Alex will be just over 7 mths old and i have read up loads about how to deal with the flight and what to pack but would love some 1st hand feedback.

With the terror attack on the us aircraft over christmas i know security is going to be tight and at the moment that's the only part of the trip i'm dreading. Because it's a 10 hr flight we have booked alex his own seat to give us some extra space and on the way out we have the bulkhead seats so we can have a skycot. Our friends flew over from Japan for christmas with their 9 mth old and ended up pacing the plane for most of the flight, i'm hoping alex will be better than that, but i have a feeling those great days of catching up on loads of movies and sleep are gone :snigger:
CAZ

Sept/Oct 08 - 2nd IVF Cycle BFP

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Monday, January 11th 2010, 9:07am

Hi Cazc,
I've never deliberately done long haul (although we are toying with the idea of a Caribbean holidya this year) but last year our flight was delayed on the way back from Cyprus so we were on the plane for 8 hours with a nearly 3 year old and a 5 month old. Actually it wasn't that bad, DD1 was just potty trained and wet herself :rolleyes: but the staff were great and changed the cover on her seat. Actually I think an older child is harder than a baby, babies are amused by new faces and will often sleep. There were 4 adults sharing the responsibility for the 2 of them so that made life easier. We took plenty of toys and books. Those kids magazines with a free bit of plastic tat are really good, we get the Cbeebies one usually. We also find snacks useful, both girls will calm down almost instantly if you give them food, I don't know where they get that from [zx062] , but I would advise healthy ish stuff like fruit, cheese and bread rather than anything too sugary which is likely to make your child giddy, and water to drink. And wipes for cleaning up after wards. If there is a favourite teddy, then of course you need him too. Plan for delays also if you can, extra nappies, a full pack of wipes and extra milk if you aren't bf. We found lots to occupy DD in the airport, looking at shops etc... so waiting to get on the plane wasn't so much of a problem. Security checks were thorough so time consuming but again, we played I spy etc.. I can't remember what DD2 was like so she must have behaved! There's usually someone in the queue who thinks your baby is lovely and will smile and play peepo, so take advantage It helps remember that if your baby cries and people are disturbed by it, then they only have to put up with it for the duration of the flight so its tough! For a baby, crying is a way of reducing pressure in their ears when the plane is landing. I'm starting to waffle now, its obviously far too long since I had a holiday and I need to book another purely so that I can advise other mums on the best way to do it, the things I have to do for this site!

I know of parents who automatically give their child a dose of something which will sedate them when flying, like piriton or medised. Its not something I would advise, I think children should only have drugs when its for their own benefit, and to be honest, I've never felt the need to do it.

cazd

Ace

Tuesday, January 12th 2010, 7:59am

Thanks Mrs Jasper you have said pretty much what we have planned. i agree about the drugging but as Alex is teething at the mo i will take some calpol sachets just in case.
CAZ

chalmers206

Superstar

Reg: Feb 5th 2007

Children: my beatufil boy born on 22/4/10

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 1:03pm

What age did you take your baby on holiday?

Hi ,

I know i am jumping the gun a bit, but we always go away for our anniversary which is in June.

My baby is due on 10th April, do you think it would be ok to take her.him with us?, we always go to a caravan at Blackpool would it be too cold for the baby?
2ND ES/ICSI AUG 09 = :BFP
THOMAS JOHN (TJ) BORN 22/4/10
DEC 2012 :BFP:
ONE BEAUTIFUL [zx076] SEEN 9/1/13

Reg: Feb 4th 2009

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 7:06pm

Hi Kat

It depends on the weather, we were away in June last year and it was roastin !

I reckon you will be fine taking the baby as long as you are prepared for the weather to go either way ( but my attitude to that pretty much runs to - there will be a shop nearby if i need blankets or suncream etc )
Isla's first holidays were all caravans ( first one she was only a few months old ) remember they usually have heating in them as well and a lot of the sites let you hire baby equipment as well.

I say go for it !
nic xxx

Reg: Aug 24th 2008

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 8:40pm

I think its absolutely fine to take your baby when he/she is really young. Why not? It'll be great fun. Like Nic says depends onthe weather but you can prepare for anything. I doubt Blackpool will be that cold in June

Xxx
Sept '08 1st IVF :BFN:
Jan '09 2nd IVF :BFP: bab10
Dec '11 3rd IVF :BFN: 1xfrostie
June '12 failed thaw
Nov '12 4th IVF :BFN: 3 snow babies

chalmers206

Superstar

Sunday, January 17th 2010, 10:56pm

hi ladies,

thanks for the replies. I agree it sohlud be fine and if we need any extra stuff we can always buy them there. i will probably take my own travel cot anyway.

I am really looking forward to it now xx

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Monday, January 18th 2010, 4:16pm

Babies are ultimately portable hun, and I reckon a caravan in June will be just fine. I took my no 3 son to Italy in my lorry (I was a self employed haulier and was down a driver so had to do a job!) when he was just 6 weeks old. I also took him and no 4 child to Austria in the lorry when he was 13 months and she was just 4 weeks old. It was fine, they were fine and I have great memories of it. The weather in June is usually pretty warm here, and anyway, you can always take blankets or warmer clothes for bubs if it is a little cooler.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

chalmers206

Superstar

Monday, January 18th 2010, 5:18pm

hi mrs smiff,

thanks for the reply hun, i can just imagine you in a great big lorry with a wee baba :snigger:

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Monday, January 18th 2010, 5:29pm

I took Kaynan when he was 5 weeks for a week in york and that was in september- so probably a lot colder.

Then we had a few weeks in skegness in a caravan in oct so defo colder!!!!!

Little one will be fine and nothing to worry about.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

chalmers206

Superstar

Wednesday, January 20th 2010, 11:38pm

hi gemma,

thanks for the reply hun, i dont feel so bad not that so many have took there wee ones away that young xxx

Reg: Feb 15th 2009

Children: Son aged 4

Thursday, January 21st 2010, 12:19am

Hiya

I took my baby away to spain at 3 weeks old as soon as his passport arrived and he was fine on the flight it was warmer out there and although he squinted at the sun we covered him up and he was good as gold!! mw said europe was fine while he didnt have his jabs so if it was me i wouldn't hesitate!! were going away again in the summer and prob end of year!!! have fun and enjoy your first family holiday!!!

chalmers206

Superstar

Friday, January 22nd 2010, 11:34pm

thanks sooz, we were thinking of going abroad too, but maybe leave that till later in the year lol xxx

cazd

Ace

Wednesday, January 27th 2010, 10:02am

Just thought i'd let you know that we made it to canada pretty smoothly, customs was a breeze at heathrow, and Alex was brilliant on the plane , even slept for 3 hours (not in 1 go but 3hrs none the less)

Adjusting to Canada time is taking a bit to get used to (8hrs behind uk), but i think by the end of the trip we'll have it licked :snigger:

Worst thing so far has been having milk and baby food confiscated by customs, they let us keep the ready made sma i'd brought to keep s going a few days but the rest was taken. We visited a safeway and a drugstore yesterday and there isn't much choice, nothing i recognise and it's all really expensive but today when we reach victoria we will have to bite the bullet and get some as my supply of cartons is almost out.

right its 2am here and i need to see if i can get the monkey back to sleep
:xxx3:
CAZ

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Tuesday, April 12th 2011, 11:36am

We are just back from a long haul holiday to Mauritius. The girls suprised me by being completely wonderful on the flight, sleeping 8 out of 12 hours on the outward journey which was a night flight. The flight home was a bit harder because the flight took off at 9.30am so the girls were awake for much of the time, but they were amused by CBeebies for a while even though they didn't get the hang of the headphones and watched it without sound. We made sure they napped and ate at the usual times which gave us some structure to the day. Crucial to surviving a longhaul flight is booking the bassinets so there is somewhere to put the babies down to sleep, and I don't think I will ever forget Isabelle on her perch waving at the cabin with everyone waving back at her.

We chose Mauritius because there is only a 3 hour time difference and the Mauritian people really cherish children. The girls were spoken to by name by everyone from the gardeners, cleaners and security guards right through to the hotel manager. High chairs always appeared by magic when needed, age appropriate food was always freshly prepared for them - grilled sea bass and mashed potatos were a big hit - and there was plentiful babysitting at reasonable prices, meaning that we were able to have a relaxing lunch and an hour or so on a sunbed whilst the girls took their afternoon nap and could go out every night. There was also a fabulous kids club that they went to for a couple of hour each day and they thoroughly enjoyed finger painting, paddling, playing with new toys etc. They loved it and had a real sparkle in their eyes the whole time we were there.

We had no problem getting formula and baby food through customs. They just required me to open a couple of cartons and taste it, and I poured the open cartons into ready sterlised bottles which I used on the plane.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Reg: Oct 8th 2015

Thursday, October 8th 2015, 4:55pm

Thanks, it is what I was likking for!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE