You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Vegemite" started this thread

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 3:11pm

snow days and driving

Howdy all,
I am starting back at work part time in february, about the same time i am due to move. I will face (with strawberry in the car, as her nursery will be on my school site) an hour each way commute to work in good traffic. The long term plan is to change workplaces, but not straight away.

Anyway, I know I am jumping the gun a bit, but after the snowfall we had here two years ago, where twice in one spring everyone got stranded and had to abandon their vehicles, I wanted to make sure I have what I need in the car in case of getting stranded.

I imagine (without getting too carried away)

a couple of fleece blankets (one which strawb uses anyway)
a six pack of small water bottles
a box of muesli bars
a couple of fruit shoots

is what i was planning on sticking in. obviously i will always be a good mummy and keep my phone charged. does anyone know what you are supposed to carry? I am sure it won't happen but its a bit different being on your own to being with a two year old isn't it?

cheers,

veggie
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 3:32pm

How about a small battery operated radio/cassette player to keep Strawberry (and you) amused? Maybe a colouring book?

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 3:34pm

ooh yep we have toys as a standard, i feel silly asking all this but the south downs can cause snowdrift really quickly- i wouldn't fancy getting stuck in it! the radio is a good idea!
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 4:56pm

I always have a bag of hats, scarves and gloves. some waterproofs, umbrellas, a picnic blanket, a HiVis Jacket, a HiViz waterproof horse rug and sometimes spare boots and socks too mainly because we spend a lot of time down muddy fields in the rain but you can never be too prepared when you have little ones.

I once had to take both of mine out in the car one January evening, they weren't getting out of the car so DD1 had a Disney Princess dressing up dress with no knicks and socks on and DD2 had jeans and jumper on (no shoes). Well I was in the fast lane of a busy A road when my car broke down. :rolleyes: I phoned the AA who told me to get out of the car and stand in the central reservation with the children. VERY luckily I had a couple of pram blankets and an old coat in the back of the car which I wrapped around the children but they were frozen. Now I ALWAYS have stuff in the back of the car because you just never know when you'll need it.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 7:33pm

A big box of KK for lovely Strawberry!!!! :D
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Sunday, January 14th 2007, 11:27pm

aw bless bells you always manage to make me feel ok as a mum! and lisa- mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yes that would suit her to a t as you know! maybe the aa helicopter could fly them in if necessary! yummy!

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, January 15th 2007, 10:55pm

Keep things in there that you don't usually use day-to-day then you don't have to lug a big bag of stuff in and out every day.

Very important too for snow: spade. And rope for being towed out if someone can get you out other than the AA. Can easily leave those in the car during the winter as you're not going to be doing much gardening.

Hmmm, an hour each way. Argh - wouldn't fancy that with a toddler. I wonder if she'll sleep - it might become part of her routine to have a doze each way?
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Tuesday, January 16th 2007, 3:28pm

A torch with spare batteries, it gets dark around 4:30 pm here. Spare wellies in case you are both in your party shoes and have to leave your car and walk.

I'm very jealous that you have a nursery on site at work.

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 1:17pm

hoping she will have a doze! I will get the rope and spade! nursery on site is a private one- there is a secondary school, special school private nursery, large baptist church and education administration centre all sharing the site!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 1:46pm

now this may sound ott but i have seen in boots, a couple of years ago, a heat pack that has a button inside it, a bit like glo sticks, have you seen them?? you crack them and they glow??? well these are the same but if you crack them they get warm. :)) very good i think. might be worth a look, i think they may be for injuries rather than keeping warm, but if they do the trick i would get some.

xxx

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 1:49pm

this is them(but a US version)

http://www.9thtee.com/reheater.htm

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, January 17th 2007, 2:05pm

I've got one of those :D Mine's a heart shaped one. I used to use mine when I was watching DD1's riding lessons in the winter, great for warming hands up although the heat only lasts about 15 minutes.

Thursday, January 18th 2007, 9:35am

i've seen those they sell them in the golf shop in bluewater! i could get carried away with this!

I think i will go for:

one spade
two fleece blankets
six pack water
box of nutrigrain bars

always carry wellies, spare clothes for strawb and a few toys anyways.

cheers girls!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE