You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "Bluey" started this thread

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:20pm

Oh pants !!!

I've been in contact with my work about starting back after my mat leave ... and now I'm really down in the dumps :hairout

Before I stopped for mat leave I worked part-time - Mon to Friday from 9.30 untl 2.30 so that I could take Callum to school in the morning and pick him up again after - so worked 25 hours in total --- when I stopped I told my work that it was my intention to come back for 3 full days rather than working 5 hours each day ... anyway I contacted them at the beginning of January and said that my intention would be to go back 3 full days but that given I was working longer days my hours wouldn't drop that much. I've waited all this time to be given two options --- keep doing what I was doing (5 days) or do 3 days but only work for 6 hours and drop down to 18 hours per week --- which I really can't afford ---- the girl I spoke to is going to go back to our Principal Solicitor and say that I'm not happy and try to work something else out but neither of us hold out much hope

Don't know what to do from here ... def. will not work 5 days a week - it took us so long to get our miracle that I aint leaving him 5 days a week ... and anyway I worked 3 full days when Callum was a baby and only changed to work 5 shorter days when he went to school (with a different firm).

Will wait and see what tomorrow brings ... but I need to be organised and am already thinking way to far ahead :headache
Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:23pm

Would you not be able to claim more from tax credits?? Would that make up if you just did the 18 hours?? xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Saz

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:27pm

Oh hun. At least my experience meant you started sorting it out earlier eh??

I hoipe you get this sorted tho

:hugs:

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:31pm

Not sure about tax credits - might give them a call and see if anything changes ... although doubt it - DH's salary is quite good.

I'm already dropping £200 by shedding off some hours but if I drop down to 18 hours I'd be dropping over £300 8o - and it's not as though I worked full time before I stopped for mat leave so its quite a noticeable difference ...oh pooooo :scream:
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:33pm

I'm sure you would get some more, there is a website somewhere i think that tells you what you are entilitled to, hang on will have a look. xx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:36pm

Mum of 3 year old twins.

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:36pm

I'll go on now and give it a go - thanks blowkiss
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 7:43pm

I have just done it and it's quite accurate. xxx
Mum of 3 year old twins.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 8:07pm

Oh sorry E, work hassles is what we can all do without. I hope you get a good solution soon so that you can work to earn enough but spend enough time with your little miracles. I couldn't leave mine 5 days a week either, but I need to work a bit for my sanity!!
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 8:18pm

Limpet - I'm with you on the working for sanity bit ... but don't want to do any more than 3 days - given that I already worked part-time if I reduce down to 18 hours/week I'd be dropping another £5K -- which is huge on a part-time salary ;(
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

• "Flowertot" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 6th 2008

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 9:58pm

apparently you have to have a combined household income of less than £15,000 to qualify for more tax credits etc.

Forced to work a full week because of that! If we dropped our hours to what we would ideally like to do now we've got E wouldn't be any good to us because of the benefits we wouldn't get.
Jen

Ella Louise Born Tuesday 12 September at 11.48pm weighing 6lb 14oz

Mum to a 2 year old little princess born after 2 rounds of IUI.

(Previously ZooKeeper/Twinkle Fairy/Fairy Girl/)

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 10:08pm

?(
Jen

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Flowertot" (Feb 6th 2007, 10:11pm)

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 10:13pm

Fairygirl - I'd phone and check with tax credits tomorrow and if its right :bye: work
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 10:17pm

I wish - when I spoke to them in July time they said they would need proof of lower income, but on DHs 2006/07 tax form it will say he's earnt over £15,000.

We have a combined income of over that so we wouldn't get anything more. Doesn't seem fair really
Jen

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Tuesday, February 6th 2007, 10:30pm

Jen i dont think so (but i might be wrong) i think if you earn more than £55,000 combined income in a year then you are not entitle to any tax credit

everyone that is working and NOT working are entitile to childtax credit and people that are doing over 16hr are entitle to working tax credit.

some people also can get free milk token, and other things too.

but check it out first

Wednesday, February 7th 2007, 9:05pm

over 16 hrs get working tax credit? I get child benefit and child tax credits but that is all as work 37 hrs a week and earn over the £15,000 mark.
Jen

Friday, February 16th 2007, 10:17pm

after pestering work about setting up a meeting with our Principal Solicitor re. my working hours when I go back .... I've heard from them saying that the first he can meet me is 21st March - I'll only have 6 weeks left before I'm due back and it wont be enough to arrange child care for Gregor X( - I've sent am email back saying I'm happy to go into Glasgow to meet him if he can meet me earlier :scream:
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Bluey" (Feb 16th 2007, 10:18pm)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, February 17th 2007, 3:22am

Bluey - I know you are trying really hard here. But.... given that your DS will be 9 1/2 months, would working 5 days a week part time be really that bad?

Saturday, February 17th 2007, 9:20am

I can imagine it will be. I will be going back 5 days per week until sept and E will only be 6 months then. Unfortunately I have no choice in this.

Bluey - hope you get it all sorted out, I know it's hard.
Jen

Missy

Superstar

Saturday, February 17th 2007, 9:59am

Oh E, what a nightmare :X

I was in the same predicament if you remember but my work left me no alternative to leave and find other employment. I can see why you don't want to do 5 full days, it incurs extra travelling, to-ing and fro-ing, extra nursery costs etc.. what a PITA!

I had to go down the 'official' route with my work to apply for flexible work hours, but unfortunately if your company gives a viable reason for not being able to accomodate your proposed hours they don't have to give them to you.

I'm sorry i couldn't give more positive news hun, but I do hope it gets sorted soon

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Saturday, February 17th 2007, 11:05am

fairygirl - well, having gone back when DS was only 14 weeks old, I spent three weeks 1/2 time (and took the other time off as leave) and then back full time 5 days per week.

In all honesty it's easy to "imagine" but reality is something else - being away from your child whether it is 1,3 or 5 days a week to me made no difference. It was hard being away full stop. That's why I suggest, try not to give yourself ulcers - if you really have no option but to go back to 5 days per week then dont fight it if you are not going to win and try not to get upset about it.

You may have to start (as Missy had to) to look for another job that is more flexible. The sooner you look the sooner you will find. Either that or accept what your workplace is offering.

Saturday, February 17th 2007, 3:01pm

thanks for the replies girls ... I'm def. not going back 5 days :no:-- even at my current part-time hours .. I'd rather do slightly longer days than I do at the moment - maybe 7 or 7.5 hours per day but if they only offer either working 5 hours for 5 days (what I did before Gregor came along) or 6 hours for 3 days (totalling 18hours) then I'll go for the 18 hours -- means a lot bigger drop in wages than I had planned :tear: (given that I already worked part-time) but I'm not only thinking of Gregor I need to think of Callum as well - he will be 8 on 28th Feb and I don't want to end up devoting all my time during the week when I get home from work solely on Gregor - I'm fortunate in that I do have a choice .. more money or more time with my boys -- I can up my hours when Gregor goes to school but I can't get the time I'll get with him and Callum back. Money will be tighter than before but we will just have to cut our cloth accordingly (says the shopaholic in the corner :laugh: )

I'm not due back at work until the beginning of May and Gregor will be 1 on 22nd May (can't believe my baby is nearly 1 whoops3 ) which will make things easier .. my mum is going to look after Gregor for 2 days and I'll find child care for the other day ... although to begin she will do all 3 days and my DH is going to try to take 1 day annual leave per week during the summer hols to drop my mum down to her 2 days and I'll look for child care starting from around Sept - so Gregor will be 16 months before I need to think of a "stranger" looking after him. I just need to know what I'll be working so that I can organise my mum and so that DH can try and ask his boss about working a 4 day week during the summer (as well as taking time off for our family holiday :pray: ).

At the end of the day I'll be going back for 3 days (although if I'm only doing 18 hours I'll try and push for a wage increase ... if you dont ask you dont get .. no harm done) and once I've been back for 3 months if my salary hasn't increased I can always look for something else with slightly more hours still within the 3 days.

I'll just have to wait and see if we can meet any earlier than 21st bloody March :raspberry:

Elaine
x
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Bluey" (Feb 17th 2007, 3:03pm)

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 8:24pm

Just a quick update -- had a meeting with my work today and am going back at the beginning of May for 3 days per week working 6 hours a day - think I'll do Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and start at 9.30am and finish at 3.30pm ...... not happy at dropping down my hours so much but am not prepared to work more than 3 days - although my work have said that they are trying to get funding to make the project full-time and will up my daily hours if that happens - will just have to wait and see. In the meantime it's toast and beans for the Blues ;)
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 8:38pm

Ahhh toast and beans aren't that bad 8) It's won't be forever and at least you'll be around a bit more for the littlies. I'm sure it will work itself out so that you're a bit better off soon.

Rivka

Reg: Oct 11th 2005

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 9:10pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Bluey
In the meantime it's toast and beans for the Blues ;)

I'm sure you'll get used to it sooner or later. Its been Dhal and rice for us for the last five days - bag of lentils only costs 35p!

Missy

Superstar

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 9:14pm

Won't you be entitled to some working tax credits on that though hun? :))

At least they have said they will be prepared to re-negotiate your hours in future, that says to me that they don't want to lose you :))

xxx

4 baby angels, forever in our hearts

* CLICK *
TO SUPPORT FZ!

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 9:27pm

don't think we qualify for working tax credits because of DH's salary :(
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 11:10am

Quoted

I'm sure you'll get used to it sooner or later. Its been Dhal and rice for us for the last five days - bag of lentils only costs 35p!

:what:

[zx120]

I don't want to be standing behind you guys in the busqueue! :D

Sunday, March 25th 2007, 1:49pm

Having a quick re-think re. my hours - I've confirmed I'll do Mon- Wed but having been thinking today that rather than doing three 6 hours days that I may do two slightly longer days (7 hours) and then only have to do 9.30 until 1.30 on a Wednesday - essentially doing 2 1/2 days per week ... sounds so much better than 3 days a week :yes: - also means that if my mum is going to watch Gregor two days a week I'm only having to think about a childminder for 1/2 day per week .. which I feel better about.

Just have to run it by my work now mmmmmm
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 12:45pm

Bluey - have you considered doing two 9 hour days?

if you go in for 7am, take 30 minutes for lunch, you could finish by 4:30 having done 9 hours?

that would then get you your 18 hours per week and you would only be away for two days

just a thought

Wednesday, March 28th 2007, 10:52am

Sun - that would be a perfect solution for me - unfortunately the project I work on is only funded part-time at the moment and really needs cover 5 days a week so it's trying to work out cover over 5 days with only 28 hours to work on (between 2 - I;ll do 18 and the person who was covering my mat leave will cover the other 10) - I'll just be skint ;(
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE