You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Ethel

Star

• "Ethel" started this thread

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:13pm

Do any of you have a cleaner

I know its ages off yet until I have a child but have been thinking of what hours to do when I go back.

Probably going to do reduce hours each day as probably be having a school age child and get back say for 3.30 - 4ish or earlier. Not sure if I get home for schoool run as have to travel a bit but I need to have a childminder in hand to cover for part of summer hols and if train late etc. Not worth working locally as money would drop loads.

This lady who i work with said i wont feel like i am part time getting home for 4 - ie by the time i have picked up the child, taken to clubs etc etc - she does these hours and said she has now got a cleaner for 2 hours a week (costs her £15) so her sat and sunday arel free to spend with the child obviously still doing her washing herself everyday tidying up - she said it has made such a difference. She has reduced her lunch by half an hour at work so she gets half hour extra per day money to help towards it. She said she can get on with the big jobs then.

Does anyone have a cleaner that works nearly full time. I find it hard now to keep on top of things and i dont have kids at the mo. I do like my house tidy - i think its good for your well being. I suppose though you learn to ignore these things

Someone else has suggsted that i do 4 full days and have one full day off but really want to be there for clubs/dancing/swimming etc

Thanks

Reg: Oct 1st 2005

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:20pm

I would love one ethel!!! If you can afford it, then go for it!! OR get used to living in a pig sty...............thats what we do 8o 8o
Mum of 3 year old twins.
Had ICSI worked first time

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get!!

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:26pm

I would really love one and its on my wish list! We don't have one and our house is usually a tip (I can relate to Diddle on that one!) and we have one big blitz a week, with the occassional hoover to mop up glitter, raisons etc etc!

We do however, have someone who comes for 3 hours a month (£30 per month)to help us in the garden. Not that we have a huge garden but neither me nor DH are very green fingered and it takes us ages to do anything properly so now we just get to do the nice/easy bits in the garden - mow the lawns, plant a few sunflowers, grow some veggies with E etc! I found this was more useful as you can always tidy up a bit etc when kids are in bed but its not as easy to get out and do the garden at 9 at night!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Ethel

Star

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:27pm

Lol Diddle - I am sure it s not xxx I do think I am gonna have to learn to relax more and let things go a bit - I am not a naturally tidy person and find it hard. Some of my cupbaords are a mess but I do like to have no bits on floor and things away.

Ethel

Star

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:29pm

Thanks Jodie - thats a good idea - we have thought about paying someone now just to blitz our back garden for us - probably loads of weeds there that look lile plants - we are the same as you dont mind mowing etc.

We have a front garden too that we do look after properly as i think its more important that the back.

Pootle

Megastar

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:37pm

The back will just get filled up with slides, swings, paddling pools etc when you get your LO anyway! Your only chance of a decent garden will be the front, and the only focus the back will get is mowing the lawn and the occassional weeding!

x

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Ethel

Star

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:40pm

Ohh very true my brother's lawn hardly has any grass on it cause of all the toys.

Just think when I have my 9 months off my house will be immaculate - she says!! I think perhaps I am living in a dream world.

Pootle

Megastar

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:42pm

Yes, but its a nice one...........!

x

DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

Ethel

Star

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 7:49pm

lmao

Also in my dream world, I be size 8, 5 ft, 6, drive a porsche, have a maid, personal hairdresser and personal trainer and do lunch with my friend each day

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 8:00pm

I'm 5 foot 6 - 1 out of 7 aint bad!!
PCOS. Ovarian drilling October 2005
Amazing BFP January 2006!!!!!!!!!!
2nd BFP natural!!!! - due Dec 2008!

[/url[url=http://tickers.families.com]

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 8:57pm

Oh, how I would love a cleaner. Its all a matter of priorities and mine is to spend time with my little girl. The house is a mess most of the time, but when she grows up and leaves home, I am not going to wish I had spent more time cleaning! So we read and play with toys and sing songs and go to Tumble Tots and Baby Rythmn time etc... and are surrounded by chaos. I love it, but I would love someone to hoover and dust and do the ironing. Actually I sometimes take my sheets and towels to the launderette for a service wash and I have used an ironing serivce in the past and its not that expensive. Maybe thats something you could do instead of having a cleaner come round.

Interestingly, if you read the Alexander McCall Smith Ladies Number One Detective books (bear with me, this is relevant!), apparently in Botswana if you can afford a maid, its considered selfish not to employ someone and share your wealth. So there you are, its a selfless and noble thing to do.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 8:58pm

We got a lovely girl that comes in on mondays and wednesdays, 5 hours each time
She will step in and say "oh my good, what happened??!!??"

We pay her £7 an hour and she has keys to our place.
She is perfect. She has got a son that is 7 so she is used to children so she is also our baby sitter. She knows where everything is and is so bloody sensible!

When we are out for dinner she will send us a text saying that everything is ok!

She is just great!
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 9:03pm

ehtel, I say if you can afford it and get one to do fifteen quid fo two hours a week then do it. I am a naturally tidy (but not good at actual cleaning) peson. One of my big stesses, doing three twelve hour days at work a week and getting little suppot from dh due to his shifts with childcae is the fact he expects an immaculate house and only notices what i haven't done and not what I have. :( it really does make me stressed as dd hates me spending time doing that when i play with her so am stuck between a rock and a hard place. maybe my high bp and eratic heart rate lol??
adoption...after a typically long journey, approved November 05, linked with strawb December 05, Brought our princess home May 06, aged 21 months

single mum since dec 08, and very grateful for the FZ support through the whole lot xx

** CLICK TO SUPPORT FZ **

Ethel

Star

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 10:02pm

Ahh thanks girls - it does seem its a lot of pressure on the ladies all the time. My DH is very good he will help with instruction but I know I always have to watch if you get me.

Your cleaner sounds a star Torisen

I cld quite easy save £15 a week in other ways -I think its something I have to consider. Just talking to my friend about it actual and she was saying that her mom's friend does it for £5.50 an hour!! I have to see nearer the time.

Vegie I went some lessons in being naturally tidy

Chilli

Megastar

United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 10:30pm

I would love a cleaner I do think it's nice to have a tidy home, I am not naturally tidy at all and do really struggle but I also hate chaos. if it's tidy it feels nice and I hate coming home to a mess X( My DH is just the worst person in the world to help out he just doesn't see mess not bothered by it which is great when I am having a can't be arsed day but really annoying when I am pickng up after him!

if you can afford it then I say do it!

Binky

Star

Reg: Aug 27th 2006

Children: 1 beautiful Little Girl with help from clomid.

Saturday, July 7th 2007, 11:01pm

I would love a cleaner my dh is so messy and leaves stuff everywhere and as for dd well!

I told dh that if I get my place at uni next year and we can afford it I will have one for a few hours a week just to keep on top of things for me.xx

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 10:07am

When I had I had lucy and worked full time I had a cleaner once a week for 2 hours - it was great! but when I went part time (4 days instead of 5) I had to agree to stop the cleaner. Since the accident I have refused to do much housework, just the clothes, bathrooms and upstairs! DH 'does' the rest!!! Did you see my apostrophes? Read into them what you will!!! If I ever get pregnant again I am having a cleaner, no arguments!!

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 10:44am

i think you should get one, if you can afford it hun, we had a cleaner as a present from my work place when i gave birth to dd. my work paid for a month cleaner, and that was the most best present i ever had.

it is hard to be a working parent and make sure the house is tidy and cook and many others things, if you can afford it get it hun, but you will also learn to live in a mess when your dd/ds come :D

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 10:49am

What a great present Victoria.

Spider's Diary

cookie

Superstar

• "cookie" is no longer a member of FZ

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 11:20am

Quoted

Originally posted by Ethel
lmao

Also in my dream world, I be size 8, 5 ft, 6, drive a porsche, have a maid, personal hairdresser and personal trainer and do lunch with my friend each day

oh ethel!!! i want to live in your world too hunny!!! can i join you??? :]

i would have a cleaner. i would love one, i do do house work but i loathe and detest washing and ironing....id do the rest :D

I'm running down the road like loose electricity, while the band in my head plays a strip tease!

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 1:08pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Spider
What a great present Victoria.

yes it was. they know me so well.

it has now become a ritual that if anyone get pregnant or their partner we will all contribute to get them a cleaner for a month.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 1:22pm

We have an "amah". She is a live-in (or rather live downstairs in the quarters with her husband & two kids). She works 7am until 5pm with an hour's lunch break Mon-Friday, Saturdays if we need her.
She babysits for us if we ever go out in the evening (DS stays upstairs and she keeps the baby monitor with her downstairs).
She also does all our cleaning (not very well, but good enough ;) ), washing & ironing.
But her first priority is to look after DS... she's an absolute godsend.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 3:44pm

Hey! Let's all move to SE Asia!!!! :)
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Sunday, July 8th 2007, 5:35pm

I'm with you on that Torisen!

Spider's Diary

Monday, July 9th 2007, 3:02am

there are similar set ups in most of Asia, India sub-continent, Russia, Midde East, Africa & South America. It works because of the wage differences between the rich & the poor.

we earn a "normal" UK salary, but it goes a lot lot further here so we save a lot of money - the cost of living is about 1/4 of the cost here. of course, it helps that I dont own a house so dont have a mortgage to pay - my company pays for my rented accommodation. of course this stuffs me if I ever leave the company..... which is why I am stuck in some ways.

however, my amah gets free accommodation, free utilities which we pay for, and a salary that is very low for us (about 200 quid/month) but is at the top end of the salary scale for this type of job - ie we pay about 3 times more than the local Asians would pay their staff! that's why there is so much competition for jobs with expats... we also say please & thank you, and treat the amah like an extended family member - after all she is looking after our most important thing - our son! but some locals treat their amahs like slaves and then wonder why they dont look after the house or children well :rolleyes: idiots. we're also softies in that we're often helping her treat her sons - eg if we buy a new computer we give the old one free to her sons. again most people here would sell on the computer.

but, by all means - there is not much stopping any of you from doing what we do - there are all sorts of jobs available for expats at good wages around the world. You just need to have a job that is in demand and skilled - but skilled means skilled - you have to have a job that is better than unskilled labour - ie brickies wouldnt get a job as cheap Indians could do the job for a tenth of the wage, but a crane operator would earn a fortune.

ZIG

Ace

Children: Isabella Mae (ICSI No.3) and Ruby Olivia (natural)

Monday, July 9th 2007, 10:35am

I was brought up in Kenya where it was law for an ex-pat to employ at least 1 local person. It provided employment and helped the local economy. Some took it to extremes and had 2 or 3 house servants, an ayah (nanny), cook, gardener and security guard! We had a housemaid who also did a bit of babysitting and lived in a small cottage at the bottom of our garden. And a "shamba" who came and cut the grass once a fortnight, and a security guard. We paid for the housemaid's kids to go through school and college and loved them all dearly.
Now, I have a cleaner who comes in and does 5 hrs fortnightly - what a godsend! I work 2 days a week and I do the washing and ironing (I HATE ironing!) and keep things tidyish in between her visits, but my god, do I look forward to her coming! Worth every penny (£7 per hour)! Do it!!
Zig x
Me 38, DH 44. 2002-2004 2x ICSI's, 1x egg donation. Changed clinics for own eggs ICSI/tx no.4 - BFP 27/4/05! Mummy to Isabella after early c-section 15/12/05, due to LLP. Baby No.2 (huge 'natural' surprise!) Ruby Olivia arrived 29/09/07 via emergency c-section.

Monday, July 9th 2007, 11:18am

oops - yes, forgot to say, we have a garnder who comes once a fortnight to mow & rake the lawn :rolleyes:

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Friday, July 13th 2007, 3:36pm

I have one that comes in for 2 hours every Monday and I lurve her - it is so worth it to have the weekends to myself! Plus she cleans far more thouroughly than I ever do :D

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE